Z0mg H4x11!1 Hardware Problems

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by canvasch, Sep 21, 2006.

1. canvasch

canvasch Well-Known Member

so my friends pc is screwed up..... this is how he tells it... he was online and all of a sudden his monitor screen goes black, the green light on it turns orange and so he assumes his monitor breaks... it's a old one after all..

so he tries out a new monitor and no...... still doesn't work.. he brings it to me........ i check it out and i assume it's his motherboard.... so we try a working one and nothing.. the pc starts up, but nothing comes up on the screen.... we've now gone through trying everything it could possibly be..... all the stuff is working and some stuff is actually new...

stuff we tried. (when i say "new" i mostly mean different but working, also everything we used is compatable with eachother)

new motherboard
    new ram
    new powersupply
    new cpu
    new graphics card

my brother actually has a theory that the ground in the case could be faulty.... we'd need to try his componets in another case to test this theory though... i am stumped.... i'll be honest.. i thought it was the powersupply or the motherboard for sure at first........... it's crazy.. there is no reason why his pc should not be working.... i can vouch for him having 0 viruses...... he was just surfing the web and poof.... pc died.. the pc was still on, and running (by the sound and the lights) but the monitor was suggesting that there was no pc hooked up.
    know what i mean?

now with all these new and working and compatible componets his pc is still not working... nothing comes up the monitors, they all act as though they are not hooked up to a pc that is on.

any ideas are welcome.

2. XMasterX

XMasterX Well-Known Member

one thing left that you left out, it could be the hard drive...

the hard drive can halt a system from showing the post (bios)

3. Papermache

Papermache Well-Known Member

Maybe one of the prongs connecting CPU to the spine (monitor cord) is broken. Have you looked into that? A wire could be frayed. Or as a last resort, you said your monitor didn't turn on, but just to clarify, is the Monitor ON and not showing anything or OFF and... not showing anything. If its the former, your graphics card could be dead, try buying a new one? and I just searched up the post and saw that you have already boughten a new one... nvm. lol. Try connecting it to a different CPU. It's really baffling, doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

4. canvasch

canvasch Well-Known Member

lol still no idea, no master it has nothing to do with the harddrive..... matter of fact i took the harddrive out when he first brought it over and gave it back to him.... because even without a harddrive the something should come up on the screen..... (like no master drive and no slave drives installed blah blah blah)

anyways.... this is the weirdest thing i have ever encountered pc wise......

and yeah.. the monitors we try are on...... the lights (which indicate status) are orange.... when they should be green... know what i mean?..

my friend is bringing 3 cases for me to try lol..... just incase it is that ground in the first case.

5. [Skyline.

[Skyline. Senior Member

It can be the video card, if the screen is black, but the actual computer is starting up.

If nothing is starting up, open it up, and power on, if you get any slight movements, it will be the grounding. Get new washers / standers.

The powersupply can also be faulty, so get one from comp-usa, and test that out, if that also doesn't work, just return it, with a story.

RAM can sometiems be faulty, and sometimes work for some time. If you only have 1 stick, try all the slots you can, if you have 2, take them both out, and try 1 at a time, in each slot.

If none of those work. I suggest pesting Geek Squad at best buy, with curtesy testing =).

But I've been through a bit with my computer.
    CPU, Mobo, Video Card, PSU...heh.

Have fun, call the companies up aswell, they can actually help.