Work In Progress

Discussion in 'Large Artwork' started by Neuron, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Neuron

Neuron Senior Member

[​IMG]

My work isn't stock, don't treat it as such.

This will be entered into the LAOTM once finished. :D

2. KJF

KJF Well-Known Member

Its looks nice, you put several stocks in here together?

3. Neuron

Neuron Senior Member

Everything made from scratch..

Except the bare terrain. I think I downloaded the 3D file. But I textured and shaped it myself. So the only thing not mine is the terrain model.

4. Neuron

Neuron Senior Member

Bumping for more opinions..

5. wildsorrow

wildsorrow Well-Known Member

Lighting effects needs modifying.

You also got a realistic planet with an unrealistic sky.

-

6. Sock

Sock Well-Known Member

The two planets there (not the big one) in the distance look fake and awkward and don't blend in.

7. TonicX57

TonicX57 Senior Member

Ooo... nice. Is that a lasso in the bottom? :P

~TonicX57

8. Neuron

Neuron Senior Member

I'm quite happy with the lighting. It's not suppose to be a realistic piece (obviously), you'll find that with the majority of this type of work.

This isn't a tag, nothing is suppose to "blend" in..

It was a screenshot. That's why the lasso tool is in the bottom.

9. Sock

Sock Well-Known Member

Ok, just cast aside every single C&C you receive, that works. If you're going to put something up (especially a work in progress), be prepared for the criticisms. You can't expect your work to be the epitome of the artistic world's talent.

And it doesn't matter whether it's a tag or not, the planets there still have to look good. And right now they're just there. They're floating up there with random lighting that doesn't match the picture. I think that might be their main problem, but there's something about the texture of them that look just strange. Again, I don't care if you think that it's not a tag that it doesn't have to fit in with the picture, but at this point you might as well just replace those planets with giant tits and call it a day, because they don't fit in. It's not bad, they're not too awkward, they're just in the proverbial realms of mediocrity, whereas a lot more could be going for this picture if you touch up the little things and do whatever it is you want to be doing with this.

Also, the dust in the sky or whatever over by the above mentioned planets looks kind of phony and very photoshopped, too.

You're a good artist, much more talented than I, but you have to listen to others as well. Just saying "Nope, you don't get what I'm doing" and "You see, <passive-aggressive statement here>" are only bull---- answers that nobody cares about. I can't wait to see this finished, but I'd really prefer it if you didn't try to laud it over us, especially when it's a WIP.

10. Neuron

Neuron Senior Member

-_-

I think I can respond to criticisms people make if I please. Seriously. If one person thinks the lighting is wrong, when other people who design for a living didn't even point it out, I seriously think IT'S FINE. For the record, the light source is off the canvas. It was off the canvas when I rendered the base.

The texture is strange... Okay. It's a planet, not every planet looks the same, they all have different geography. Some are small, some are large. I think your whole texture argument is completely irrelevant.

The "dust" is a starfield. Yeah It's brushed, done in Photoshop. What else am I going to do it in? You want me to play God and create it? This is a 50% view of the final product.. Everything is soft, and no details are visible, that's why it looks phony. And this WIP is nearly done.

You act as if I have to change everything that people point out.

11. wildsorrow

Clearly you haven't grasped the comments or criticisms and "Socks" has noticed this.

My criticism was direct because I didn't have time to go in detail. I have sacrificed some of my time
    in which I should have been doing something else to comment on your work.

I'll go into detail when I wake up.

What makes you think I don't know about this type of work?

-

12. Neuron

Neuron Senior Member

I never said you didn't know about this type of work..

13. Sock

Sock Well-Known Member

Ok, it's alright, I could give you a lengthy lecture on how wrong you are right now, but I'm just going to walk away and avoid a confrontation. But have fun progressing with that atitude.

14. wildsorrow

The lighting effects need to be adjusted. You got patches of pitch black shadow on the terrain but the sky is fairly bright.
    The transition between terrain and atmosphere on the right side needs to be blended in the same way the left side gives a smooth transition.
    The atmosphere itself can be more realistic to balance with the realistic terrain.
    The two smaller planets are sticking out from the atmosphere and needs to integrate more into the atmosphere.

also, the black border does not compliment the terrain at all.

Before you reply, think, take in what I said, visualize the changes on your work and then say thank you.

-

15. LL5

LL5 Senior Member

Looks quite nice.
    However some tips

The lighting needs to be redone. There is light on the cliff things and then on the floor it is dark when the light source must be coming at the direction from our view to the cliffs.
    The sky needs some work, in a real sky there would be a sudden change from blue to Very dark blue. There'd be barely any change.
    The planets further away from us are sticking out and does not go well with the rest of the LP. It needs to be fitted in better.
    Smoothness. The left side top of the cliffs is very smooth and goes really well. The right side needs to be smoother as it doesn't look right like that.
    The star collection. I don't think it works at all. I suggest removing it.
    Also, you need to change your attitude to Critism. Take it in don't say we're wrong. It either looks right or not. Yours looks good but these suggestions said are correct and don't need to be shot down.