Windows Vista - A Half Hearted Effort?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Veej, May 24, 2007.

1. Veej

Veej Well-Known Member

I've been using Vista (not on my computer) quite regularly for the last few months, I'm not impressed.

We all knew it wasn't going to be amazing even prior to its release, but despite that, it's failed to please.

In my opinion, Microsoft have tried to over-simplify things and those used to XP are having to, in effect, learn how to drive all over again! Based on this, and the release of Windows 7 or Windows Vienna just around the corner (2009 is the year given), I think Vista is just a little toy to keep us entertained before the next release which will really blow our minds - before you disagree, Microsoft's a big company, even though they don't admit it at times they know the competition from Apple and co. is getting tougher, I really think they're going to come out with a very feature-rich OS soon.

But why didn't they implement all these features in Vista?

Simple - they're not ready yet. Perhaps MS was at one stage, planning to implement these into Vista but they couldn't stick to the time set. With XP sales beginning to decline, they had to do something to keep the money coming in - that's what Vista's for.

If you're still not convinced, have a read over the other arguments I've put forward on my blog (link in sig).

So, how have you been finding the transition to Vista (if using XP before) and how would you agree that Vista is simply a filler to whet our teeth in anticipation of 'the big one'?

2. Danz0r

Danz0r Active Member

TBH, I can't see 7/Vienna coming until 2012'ish.

It took them 6 years to develop Vista after XP.. therefore it'll probably be 5/6 years until the next release.

I've used Vista (though I don't run it on my PC), and although its not perfect, I find its nice to use on a fast computer and is an improvement on XP. Give it a little time until DX10 apps start becoming available, and you'll really notice the difference.

-Dan

3. Veej

Veej Well-Known Member

Exactly, it doesn't take a corporation as big as MS 6 moths to build an OS like Vista, I believe they were working on Vienna alongside, but it just wasn't complete in time.

Hence, they hurriedly launched Vista to maintain sales until they were ready to release Vienna which must be in it's late stages as rumours say they started work on it in 2000.

4. Abgrund

Abgrund Well-Known Member

I used to have XP, but now that I got a new pc, it came with vista, and I dont like it all.

5. brandon

brandon Well-Known Member

i get vista in 4 months with my new alienware ... and tbh .... im scared

6. Flag

Flag Well-Known Member

IMO they released it too early. If they had waited and gotten DX10 out and improved the coding then it would be better than XP.

7. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

I don't think microsoft has to worry about apple too much.

they own enough apple stock that should apple do anything MS doesn't like, MS could cripple them by dumping all their stock on the market effectively killing apple. Plus apple depends on M$ for a variety of products.

As for vista, decent effort, ----ty implementation though.

Merged Post:

EWW DELL.

onyl reason to get alienware before was for their lifetime warranty and their tech support.

their lifetime warranty is now gone and tech support is ehh.

Also G80 and Vista don't mix well. Don't plan on gaming under vista.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MT...W50aHVzaWFzdA==

there si ebtter quality for the money out there. MUCH better quality(given the cost).

8. xantor

xantor Well-Known Member

The only vista I've had the pleasure of using is on my schools brand new vista laptops. Wasn't really much difference to XP, of course this was with Vista home basic. I don't think I'll be getting Vista for myself, I might wait until Sp 1 comes out, I dunno I heard it's heaps buggy for gaming.

9. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

not really. Some easily solved issues though(run games as an admin or something like that)

Gaming under vista is buggy not because of Vista but because of nVidia's drivers. they are very mediocre.
    http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMzNCwxLCxobmV3cw==

but cards from ATi are usually slightly faster under Vista... Go figure...

again not an M$ issue, it's an nVidia issue.

10. Veej

Veej Well-Known Member

They couldn't afford to delay it any longer.

Put it this way, XP has more or less reached the end of it's life cycle, there are perhaps only repeat sales now, hardly any new buyers.

So, Microsoft just released Vista quickly in an effort to, in effect, extend the lifecycle of XP. However, I think their next OS will be a huge improvement!

11. Greasy Pete

Greasy Pete Senior Member

im kind of not surprised its bad...

i haven't used it but it looks cool

12. Veej

Veej Well-Known Member

Yeah, the only major changes were to the design, very few new features were added as far as I am aware.

13. R3_animated

R3_animated Well-Known Member

I Just bought my new laptop today, Cost me quite alot and i say having Vista is not all its crack up to be, sure the flashy menus and over glossy icons are pleasing to the eyes but i'm sick of it asking me to "cancel" or "allow" with every program i open. Not to mention the heavy usage of RAM, Though its not that much of a problem for my laptop since i have 2GB of RAM but even in 'Standby' mode it sucks up at least 800 megs of RAM, as for Vienna it's probaly gonna take them 2-3 years extra on top of what they say the release date will be.

14. Veej

Veej Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's quite similar to what I felt.

Regarding Vienna, I think MS will be able to stick to their deadline this time! During the good few years Vista was being worked on and even prior to that, Microsoft apparently was working on Vienna or 'blackcomb' as it was codenamed at the time.

15. brandon

brandon Well-Known Member

my alienware has 4GB's of ram so it should run vista smooooooth

but i wanna know , wil it let me play cs source ?