Windows 7

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Naviero, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Naviero

Naviero GR Fan

So PC World's latest issue had an article about this. Aside from the fact that it is in the Beta stages and was supposed to be released before Vista (I guess it's gone through quite a few name changes), it seems like a decent OS. I'm hoping for more functionality versus design. Vista took design farther than other versions of Windows, in my opinion. Windows 7 doesn't need to be changed much design wise, but a lot of functionality and various features could be upgraded, in my opinion.

What are your thoughts on this? Also, share any news you hear. =]

2. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

I think you might have got the wrong end of the stick here.

Windows 7 wasn't supposed to be released before Vista. Vista was in production under the code name Longhorn for years, and windows 7 is a good 2-3 years away. Also, do you realise how much functionality was added with Vista? It's literally a totally different OS from XP. Also, GUI design is not counter-intuitive to functionality.

Windows 7 is Microsofts way of recovering from the poor marketing of Vista. Too many people have far too many wrong opinions of Vista.

3. lykos

lykos Senior Member

Windows 7 is "2-3 years away"? Wrong! Try the end of 2009 or First/Second quarter of 2010. I have the pre-beta (alpha) set up on another computer and it runs better then vista.

4. Red Alert

Red Alert Senior Member

Last I heard was the 4th Qt r2009 or early 2010 also.

5. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

I'm going on tradition when I say it'll probably be released at least six months to a year after the planned release date. Even if it's already in the Alpha stages now, it'll spend a long time in beta.

6. FlamebirdXZ

FlamebirdXZ Member

So is it better than Vista? Why doesn't it have a more unique name?

7. lykos

lykos Senior Member

Huh? I like the name Se7en

8. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Well, considering theres never been a Windows 6, 5, or 4, I'd say the name is more strange than Vista.

9. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

The name is far by the best one from Microsoft, I mean I didn't really like either XP or Vista that much but 7 is like wow! It has it's own style and I'd imagine how it would look like while booting!

Anyway, I think It will be released when it suppose to be and that depends on how Microsoft plans it! But a little Googling will definitely help ;->

10. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

If Microsoft has learnt anything from Vista it's to be both realistic with the release dates, and to make sure it has the exact same support as previous versions.

The former is purely a speculative thing. OS' are constantly evolving things, and even Windows XP has three very distinct stages. Many people here may have never even used XP prior to SP2, but it's a totally different OS. It has more bugs and issues than Vista has, and I have personally found it to be plain annoying. Trying to predict a date on which you will have a "finished product" is impossible.

The latter is purely down to the people who manufacture your hardware and software. If your seven year old "Sangwoo" chinese made 56kbps modem doesn't have Vista drivers, blame the manufacturers who are updating drivers, not M$.

I think 7 is purely a chance to remarket Vista.

11. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

And from the screenshots that I have seen of W7 I've noticed that it is almost the same as Vista in looks, nothing changed! Just tweaked ;->

12. Mortified Penguin

Mortified Penguin Senior Member

I highly doubt they will release it as Windows 7. It's way beyond stupidity to do that. It'd be like the epitome of stupidity, what's the word I'm looking for here? Ah, yes, Apple.

13. .//XeN-

.//XeN- Well-Known Member

you've obviously not seen recent screenshots then.

There's a complete overhaul of the taskbar now. Personally I don't like it that much as it basically performs the same function as a dock now, but I'm presuming with the combination of microsoft's custimisation levels and my reasonable technical knowledge I'll be able to adapt it into something I like.

14. Prince Zainx

Prince Zainx The Dark Prince

I haven't heard about this, probably because I am a tee bit behind in my Tech News.

I'll do some research on this sucka and see if it fits me and my needs.

Anyone have the beta or alpha and would like to post up some screenshots on what it may or might look like?

Zain.

15. lykos

lykos Senior Member

I've got some screenshots of the current alpha, but I was unable to unlock the new taskbar, because I got a error about trying to unlock locked features. I would just wait for the beta if you really want to see some screens. The first beta comes out in December or Early January.