Why I Think 'gas Prices' Is The Root Of All Evil

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by diverseartist, Apr 29, 2008.

1. diverseartist

diverseartist Well-Known Member

I was just calculating diesel today costs over 4.20$/gallon in most areas. A truck with a 350 gallon tank (which is normal), would pay over 1,400$ to fill up one time. They make LESS THAN 15MPG at any moment (with load or with no load)....And who is paying for that gas? The truck companies. Therefore the truck companies have to charge more to transport food/etc. and the food/etc. companies therefore need to charge more for their foods/products. = Higher prices.

Disucuss.

2. Llamaman

Llamaman Senior Member

Deliveries are usaully made to stores in bulk so the real cost increase per item won't increase much. Maybe a few cents.

3. bluefalcon_ad

bluefalcon_ad Well-Known Member

Eh, all depends on distance traveled. Large imports across the country will probably raise greater than things that are just an hour or so away in big bulks.

I figured out the Gas Prices raising everything else in 8th grade, by the way... <_< Either way, it is true that it does effect in some ways, but the amount of effect is varied. Definitely varied.

I still say we need to quit using gas and start using bio-fuel, though. The reasoning for not having bio-fuel is a really, really complex topic I don't want to get into.

4. Greasy Pete

Greasy Pete Senior Member

gas is like $3.00 where im at.

5. bluefalcon_ad

bluefalcon_ad Well-Known Member

Almost $5 here.

6. SomeThingCreepy

SomeThingCreepy Well-Known Member

this is why there was a damn truckers strike in DC not too long ago asking for cheaper prices for truckers

7. RealisticHat

RealisticHat Well-Known Member

and guess what? they are gonna keep on rising and rising...

8. BlackTerror

BlackTerror Well-Known Member

from what i heard bio-fuel like corn, if grown in large fields can cause soil eroison

9. //CrazyHorse

//CrazyHorse Well-Known Member

see this article originally from drudge.

and my BMW doesn't run on corn. biofuels are a sham. they're driving up the cost of corn here (supposed to increase eightfold by the bushel by the end of the year) and would cause other countries to starve to death. the filthy hack environmentalists who were in support of this didn't think too far ahead...
    see here and here for evidence of this.

the power source of the future is nuclear power. end of story.

10. dementia

dementia Well-Known Member

Yeah, you let me know how driving a vehicle with nuclear power goes when you get into an accident. You and your newly formed 16 tentacles and 10 breasts with 2 new toes on each foot, providing you live after the reaction.

11. Roroni

Roroni Senior Member

Haha. Win. ;P

12. //CrazyHorse

//CrazyHorse Well-Known Member

actually, most nuclear power plants are set up so that they have fallbacks for their fallbacks. that is, they're quite safe. Three Mile Island is often touted as the largest nuclear disaster in American history, but do you know how many people died at Three Mile Island? Zero. Chernobyl is a bit of a different story since we're pretty sure that the Russians were pushing the limits of their reactor, which was poorly engineered to begin with.

that said, more and more research is being put into nuclear powered cars. what a lot of people (I'm guessing you included?) don't understand is that "hydrogen cars" are actually fueled by nuclear power. what actually happens is that nuclear energy is used to split hydrogen, though some people are now saying that boron is a more viable alternative. this is because hydrogen itself doesn't naturally occur in useful quantities. the only way to get it is to split it out of water, which takes a substantial amount of energy.

13. .:franman:.

.:franman:. Well-Known Member

$3 a gallon? or liter? cuz there's a huge difference

i'm guessing when i filled up for $3.75/gallon today it was the most i've ever paid...........

seriously. the last person put in less than 1 gallon according to the screen on the pump.

.26 gallons it said. that is just sad, maybe they didn't realize they only had a tiny bit of money with them, but whatever the reason is, that is a tiny amount of gas to put in a car

14. .Sinister

.Sinister Well-Known Member

Wow so Australia isn't the only country copping the rise of petrol prices...

15. dalecyt

dalecyt Well-Known Member

you all think that is bad
    there was a strike in scotland which drove prices up to £5 a gallon
    thats around $10 a gallon for fuel