Whats This All About?

Discussion in 'Crew Leader Discussion' started by Logicaly, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Logicaly

Logicaly Senior Member

So you are probably wondering why you have access to this new part of the forum, and what the staff hopes to accomplish by doing this.

I have been monitoring the activity of the crews here on GR, and seeing what each crew brings to the table, and what they are capable of. There is some great talent among each crew. It also proves to us, that as crew leaders, you are capable of motivating a group of people, to not only stay active, but to work on their art and have fun doing so as well.

What we hope to accomplish with this forum. Is to have an open exchange of ideas, between the administration, and the crew leaders themselves. So thats whats going to go on here. We are looking to interact directly with those of you who are clearly capable of motivating people to be an active and help part of this community in some way.

We are hoping, that you the crew leaders, take this seriously, as the adminstration is interested in hearing ideas, and sharing our ideas as well, for the better of the crews, and the site as a whole.

We ask that those of you involved in these discussions please keep what we discuss here privately, that way there is no bickering, or arguments coming forth from the community with ideas that haven't even been put into play yet.

2. Scooby.05

Scooby.05 Senior Member

Glad to be a part of this.

And one idea that Artfoam has been working on is a magazine to release on GR, and taking the interviews that we do and putting them across a few pages then showcasing our work.

Preview of the magazine.
    http://artfoam.sp-renders.net/Mag1.html

I am sure we could work something like this on GR itself which would bring in more users.

3. [.BC.] Dr. Pepsi

[.BC.] Dr. Pepsi Well-Known Member

i myself have been getting more into the other aspects of activity at GR, as time allows. for instance, i've been doing more premium renders, etc.

one thing that can't really do is produce stuff when i'm uninspired. be it a render, a sig, or whatever, i can't just turn on the creativity/urge to do graphics at the drop of a hat.

i'd say that's probably because Bare Canvas has always been more of a "deep pool" when it comes to production. we swim along in the depths, and bubbles of sigs and such occasionally come to the surface. the emphasis is more on having a comfortable place to learn and improve in a setting where people respect you. I can't tell you how many BC alumni are out there in other crews, after improving with us - i'm sure you know them already.

other crews seem more fixated on producing and competing with each other, but i really think BC's at a different place.

That's why i'd like to put forward the concept of a Learning Crew classification. as the old crewmembers move on to more high-end crews, we get new blood in, and their skills aren't up to competing with the folks who just left. Sure, we have experienced veterans, but we few can't always carry a tagwall to victory, specially if we want to include the contributions of as many members as possible. It gets to the point where our less-skilled members start to get disillusioned with the learning process. They see a BC tagwall with mostly their work on it, and it gets no votes. I'm not saying the vote was unfair - it's perfectly fair. i think it shows why BC, currently composed of less-experienced members, has no business battling the top-tier crews.

So, i'd like to position Bare Canvas as a Learning/Incubator Crew. Our focus is on providing a supportive, close-knit environment for people to improve with. We'd be exempt from the crew battles, but that would leave us more time to work on resource production - renders, c4ds, PSDs, and the like. we'd have time to focus on tuning the skills of our own members without worrying about how they measure up to the very best. Bare Canvas helps people improve at their own pace. once a member feels capable enough to join another crew more focused on battling and competition, they're free to go where they want. many often start crews of their own.

Now, i'm not saying that battling and competition are bad. They're not. they provide an important way for the top-tier crews to keep their skills sharp. I do think that assuming that all crews at GR are focused on that would be a mistaken generalization, though.

/my2cents

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Administrator Staff Member

No other crew leaders have any comments?

5. Scooby.05

Scooby.05 Senior Member

Yea im pretty surprised AG, Fresh, and SLab have yet to say anything on this matter.

6. Logicaly

Logicaly Senior Member

Slab doesnt yet have access, as they jsut got their forum and I havent seen alot of activity from the crew itself yet. THe others have access though.

7. Renagade

Renagade Senior Member

At the time being, AG is extremely busy with real life. We are going through a time where we are discussing what to do as a crew.

As soon as we figure things out (which should be in a week or so) I will post here with ideas.

Asar - The Magazine looks great!