What's a good Laptop?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chimpy, Sep 5, 2010.

1. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

It's enormously better because it has much better Application support. Most major applications don't natively run on Linux (Adobe, etc), whereas they do on OSX. Also, since OSX is designed to run on specific hardware, it runs extremely well, whereas support for hardware on Linux can be tricky to get running.

The way I see it, Windows = OSX > Linux > BSD

Also, of course I mean they're excellent by laptop standards. They're good enough that you can comfortably listen to music/movies/etc.

2. Red the Ghost

Red the Ghost Well-Known Member

Is that as much of a problem when you're not using it for corporate purposes? And there's still WINE. I can get Adobe to run under Linux just fine.

Not to mention it's way out of OP's price range anyway.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  3. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Using WINE and having natively supported Applications is two totally different things. Saying Linux is better than OSX is a bit ridiculous. Also, it's pretty irrelevant seeing that OSX comes with a Mac, so it's for all intents and purposes, free, because the only hardware that it will run on (Apple hardware) includes it when you buy them. Running it on non-Apple hardware requires practically pirating it in the first place, which is, of course, free.

4. Red the Ghost

Red the Ghost Well-Known Member

It's not really free when the price is pretty much included in the computer's price. I don't have the money nor am I cool enough to use a Mac, based on the commercials.

I suppose it's mainly priority. I prefer better performance and a lower price tag to aesthetics and a proprietary design (they use Intel processors anyway).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  5. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

if you want good sound out of a laptop, bring headphones.

if you define build quality as finesse + reliability, then the MBP is up there, though Sony has units fo comparable properties at the same price range. At lower price ranges, Asus is generally more reliable though you will sacrifice on finesse.

6. Chimpy

Chimpy Well-Known Member

Okay well lucky for me living in Theif City (aka Miami) Im getting a Mac(cus im well aware that Macs are great for editing music and doing my graphic designs) and im getting a Toshiba windows 7 ATI graphics card (altho im a nvida fan) both for 500 thank god for these lil thieving ass kids around my neighborhood....that being said this topic is overrr

7. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

You talk too much. Go read a book or something.

8. ninja12

ninja12 Well-Known Member

Nooo!! =[:love: