What Makes A Crew A Crew?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShneakySquirrel, Mar 26, 2007.

1. ShneakySquirrel

ShneakySquirrel Well-Known Member

Okay.... really... what the hell makes a crew a crew on Gamerenders? From what I can tell... a crew on Gamerenders is NOTHING more than a group of people with something in their signatures saying they are in crew, and then a handy little topic in the crew section.

Having a "fee" on creating a crew is incredibly pointless. What is to stop me from gathering up a few people on the forum, and starting a crew or something? The ONLY difference is that we won't have that handy little forum in the crew section... but what is to stop people from saying "Yeah, I'm in a crew that isn't actually listed on Gamerenders crews list"? Does it mean that the crew doesn't exist, or is it not recognized by Gamerenders? If people have something in their signatures stating they are in a crew not recognized by Gamerenders, are they going to get banned or something?

2. .iLLmAtic

.iLLmAtic Senior Member

I must agree. As a new member, I may not be informed but still do not get the idea of the whole "Crew" Idea.. Although some of the logos are sure nifty Hahaha.

-ABCC

3. Lennox

Lennox Well-Known Member

Just a way for GR to take credits outa the system. Only crew i was in was T3, which was just made by a bunch of us from BE to make more credits by sayin we was in T3.

Thats honestly what it is. I seen lots of artists with ----ty ass work selling for tons, just cuz they have AG or c6x or whatnot in front of their name.

4. Ginge.

Ginge. Well-Known Member

tbh i duno, ive been in 2.. its just good if you wanna make friends and collab

5. Littlej

Littlej Well-Known Member

Nothing, as you said it won't be an official GR crew and you wont have the handy little thread in the forum.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having a crew on GR. I agree with Lennox on the work selling for heaps though just because of the crew name. I don't think that's right but it's a matter of opinion and what people want to buy I guess.

6. negotiate

negotiate Well-Known Member

Exactly what i thought :)

7. Shadowalk

Shadowalk Senior Member

Well official crews or non official dont matter as long as your crew have a purpose (like GR Mafia)... we take from the rich and give to the poor (no really think about it, people donate credits or resources i.e. "The Rich" then our crew gives them out free of charge after spending the donated credits on psd's, resources or tuts) were the robin hood of GR lol.

It's more just for those who want to be seen in public to be part of something i guess, everyone would like a place in a society. :)

8. much

much Well-Known Member

You answered your self on the what purpose a non-listed gr crew was, And a crew helps you get better and colab.

9. brandon

brandon Well-Known Member

crews are hot imo :)

10. Hadouken

Hadouken Well-Known Member

Are you serious..? What can a crew of all "---" sig makers teach it's members? Crews don't teach people otherwise you wouldn't see so many saying "we want -------+". The ones here aren't for improving, they're to make other people look good and gain popularity.. Collaborations really aren't that important..I avoid them like the plague actually. I bet you wouldn't see ONE person under low int on a crew here. :blink:

11. Broken

Broken Well-Known Member

Lies.
    The very large majority of crews on here have a load of members who would usually be classes as "low int" or lower.
    Heck, theres crews which don't require any form of graphic skill at all, and they openly state that.

All crews are, are an easier way to make collabs, and if you don't consider that, that important. Crews also allow for a lot of discussion on sigs, and crew battles etc.
    Ya know, to develop skills?

:blink:

12. BRAN

BRAN Well-Known Member

A camaderie!

-BRAN

13. Rummage

Rummage Well-Known Member

I agree I wanted to get in a crew at first, I thought it would be like chaosgfx like the crews would have the own private sub forum, and their could be crew battles and stuff like that. But i dont see anything special about them tbh :/

14. Phaze_

Phaze_ Well-Known Member

I think one main reason they dont let make them without a fee is because it could get out of hand with alot of people who aren't ready to run a crew so they end up falling apart. Then if tons of people made crew threads and got inactive and let them fall apart it would make it all worthless and not as fun imo.

15. NC Tallain

NC Tallain Well-Known Member

You could do this without a crew, with a group of good friends, anywhere, any time.

The crews are mainly, I think, for identification purposes, so you can say 'I'm part of such and such.' No, you don't really need a topic. In fact, you don't need one at all. You could start up an exclusive crew where people could only join by a PM invite. It could get everything done and more that the other crews do -- collaborative efforts, resource packs, tag walls, etc. all without its own thread or anything.

You could do this without a crew entirely. Just find a bunch of good guys, ask them if they would like to help, and put together some majorly kickass things, all without a crew.

Everything said before you could have and do without a crew, unless I missed something. So I have one word: Prestige.