Went Shooting This Afternoon.

Discussion in 'Camera Drawn' started by Local, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Local

Local Well-Known Member

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...eetree1copy.png < tried to sepia tone it just to try something came out alright.
    http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...r/vinescopy.png < my favorite
    http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...picturecopy.png < my dog posing a lil
    http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...ttackedcopy.png < me getting attacked cos I have his ball
    http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...athlookcopy.png < the look of death :eek:
    http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...wr/DSC01585.jpg < for a lol I know its bad. but i guess i need to set my shutter speed faster o.o dunno whats a good one tho. hate messing wiv it.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...r/doggycopy.png < the finally.

also I was wondering does anybody else have msn? if you do add me.

[email protected]

***edit. I also hope im getting better also o.o as i wasnt that great at the start.

2. Papermache

Papermache Well-Known Member

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...eetree1copy.png

Not a particularily great photo. The tree looks extremely sharp, to a point of noisiness. There is no real focal point and no real interest in the photograph. The fence looks really beautiful though. The vines on the side have no need to be there, it makes the shot looks too busy. Maybe try re-taking the picture without the side or cropping it.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...r/vinescopy.png

Pretty, good focus, and well setup. However the dead leaf in the bottom right slightly takes away from the image.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...athlookcopy.png

Would have been a nice picture if the focus wasn't an inch in front of the dog's nose.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/loc...picturecopy.png

Something bothers me about this picture. Might be the way in which your dog is standing, or just the way it is standing relative to the fence. The colors are also very odd. That one leaf looks like it has yellow lines painted on it. What sort of manipulation did you do to this image?

3. }SoC{SainT

}SoC{SainT Well-Known Member

You're getting better :)

In your defense on the first photo, those vines are offering some balance to the photo. I might have zoomed in a bit more or cropped out some more, but I still think that the photo works. The weakness of it is defining the subject. There's not much emphasis, but I can see that it's the tree. Unfortunately, there's not much drawing my eye there, I see the tree, and then I'm drawn away. The sepia looks awesome though :D

The vines one: just lower the saturation for red a bit (not entirely, just enough to remove emphasis from that particular part of the image, and only do it for that lower corner, otherwise the red from the branch will lose its great color). I might also warm it up a bit with a filter... I'm cold enough as is, and this is reminding me of cold and wet weather :P. The only other weakness I see is the sky. It's a huge distraction. The framing is great except for that thing (don't you hate it when you find the awesomest way of composing the picture, and then realize this one thing has to make it so difficult?). Other than that, I love the composition and focus, as well as how you can see the details and shading of the leaves. Great foreground/background relationships too.

The posed doggy: Mr. Eggman, I think I know what's bothering you. The dog just does not fit in with the subject. At all. But! all is not lost. The reason the dog doesn't fit is because he's too far off to the side. His golden fur would mix nicely with the blue tones of the fence and the gold coming in. As it is, you have too much color in there, and the dog isn't close enough to the golds from the fence. This photo almost looks like it would belong with a color study, but those greens are what's killing it. Ditch the grass. You may or may not be able to work with the vines; it all depends on your perspective. Because the background is a fence, and the dog is just sitting there, I probably would have gone for different framing. Maybe a bit closer in; the fence adds an artistic look, try and make the dog look artistic to match :). However, I completely understand how difficult it is to control dogs, so you took advantage of an opportunity and did well!

The attacking dog: I like how you're trying to communicate action here :). It's hard to be the cause of the action as well as the photographer, but it's good practice too. You managed to get a good capture. The criticisms: that stripe of light is detracting from the picture. It makes it hard to get the right exposure because it'll appear burnt out. The photo looks a bit underexposed to me, probably because the camera meter was confused by splashes of light. The grass is also a bit too vivid... Maybe lower the saturation a bit. It's keeping me from admiring your adorable dog :P (I'm a girl, I get to be weird like that).

Death look: go creepeh! I don't quite understand I'm supposed to be feeling from the photo: it's far too warm and fuzzy for a "death look" ;). Lower the saturation, darken the background, and do whatever else floats your boat to make it creepy. Creepy pictures are always fun and almost always deserve lots of editing! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise :P (unless you have proper lighting equipment... then just set your white balance to something cool and shoot away). Anyways, we want to remove emphasis on the background, since the focus is your dog. Maybe keep the tripod out of the shot too ;). I'd like to see the ball sharp and bright though, since that's what I'm associating the death look with. (of course, that's my vision, not yours, feel free to ignore me :P, or share exactly what you want, and I might be able to tell you how to get it)

The motion shot: you do need a faster shutter speed :P. The lowest I would want to go is 1/500 of a second. Keep playing with that, maybe think less about subject or composition for these and just learn what speeds work for what. And practice changing your shutter speed ;). Also, it looks like he's pooping the ball :lol:

Last, but not least, la finale. I like it the best, so it's a good way to end. I love the perspective and the wide angle (can't get past me! I love that sort of distortion! WOO!). But that's not my favorite part: You have the pink tongue, and the blue bandanna. Those immediately catch my eye and scream DOG! to me. And he's still cute. And I'm sooo happy that he's not just floating, rather, we see his butt. It gives depth to the photo that would otherwise be missing. Weaknesses? The gutter (who likes 'em anyway?), and I think it would have been awesome, not necessarily possible, if you could have the fence covering the entire left side of the bg, instead of that bush and whatever else. The whole left side is a distraction. Too bad we can't just poof things away, I hate it when I remember that Peter Petrelli's dad stole that power from me.

Bah, I think Photobucket strips metadata. Daarrrnnn yoooouuuu! Alas, without the metadata, I must actually ask these questions instead of using my nearly infinite knowledge. Are you using camera presets? Because, if you are, you really should start experimenting with A (or Av) and S (or Tv). Aperture allows you to control depth of field (which, when there are bad backgrounds, allows you to make them so blurry they don't matter anymore!), and your shutter speed will allow you to freeze motion. You start to see this from 1/250 for slow things, to 1/1000 for fast things. 1/500 works for most anything, and I think that one works for moving vehicles too.

Feel free to ask me anything about your camera or photography, and I will do my best to answer :). Just don't ask about the business side for another two years :P. I'll try and right that tutorial about camera basics that I promised a while ago. It's a bit harder to write than my sharpening/noise reduction one since it's a little more abstract and not step by step. And I still have to take some photos for it...

Sorry Mr. Eggman... Local needs a bit more help than you since he hasn't been doing this so long or learned the technical stuff yet, so he wins in the "who gets critiques first from MaryAnn" race. I'll get to your gallery soon, maybe on Christmas (since it's postponed, beh).

4. Local

Local Well-Known Member

oh i noticed the same thing about the yellow lines earlier.. dunno what really happened there i just did kind of a bit of what i normally do. im possibly thinking that the yellow lines on that leaf came from the sun through the fence and when i was tryin to give it more colour i guess it turned it to a yellow line.. whoops o.o also i couldnt really work much with my dog on that picture he wouldnt stay still there so i dunno. i liked the effect of the sun coming through the fence.

5. }SoC{SainT

Just add a layer mask to the layer where you enhanced the yellow, grab your good ol' brush tool, make your foreground color black, and brush right over that yellow line! Should make it seem more realistic :). Otherwise, you can always remove it entirely with a small amount of effort... I generally recommend against that though.

6. Papermache

Meh it's ok. I realize I have quite a bit of stuff in there.

As for all your comments, I agree with everything except one. The balance of the vines in the first picture. That picture to me, seems like it was set up to be a symmetrical shot, then some of it was cropped. I think that those vines throw the whole picture off-balance, and the tilted fence adds to that effect.

7. }SoC{SainT

Yes, well, when I was looking at it I'd forgotten to open Adobe Gamma (which won't friggin' work unless I have the panel open!) and so my screen was darker than it should have been. The vines don't look as good anymore :P

Now I think it's the tree above those vines that is killing it. The fence seems to lead to the vines as the main tree is grasping for them, but that tree is taking away from the flow. So: chop down the tree and your problems are solved!

8. Papermache

Didn't even notice that tree in the ugliness. No offense Local :P Yes the vines and the whole image would look more balanced and better if that tree were removed. The focal point would be more clear then. However, I still believe those vines would throw the image off balance. Not as much as it is not, but slightly.

I was going to explain the concepts of balance but I hardly have the time right now. If you are interested just let me or saint know. I am sure saint could write a much better one.

9. }SoC{SainT

I had to research balance recently for a class, but I still have difficulty explaining it because it can be a bit abstract >.<

10. Papermache

Yeah because the point of balance, if you would like to call it that, changes due to the type of photo you are taking.