Video Editing Software Advice

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kryaxysa, Dec 21, 2008.

1. kryaxysa

kryaxysa Well-Known Member

Okay, so I am in need of some video editing software. Price isn't an issue for me really, however my computer is. It's really in need of a RAM upgrade but I need to wait another 2 months or so before that. anyways, I was looking at some expensive software, when I realized there was no way that my computer could meet the specs for that kind of software.

Current computer specs:
    1gb RAM
    Intel dual core @ 1.8ghz each
    GeForce 8600 GT
    280gb HDD
    Windows Vista

The real problem here is having vista and having low amount of RAM. I know that if i go out and buy software that it most likely will be slightly slow when running on my computer, so i'm looking for something slightly more expensive that can run with the amount of RAM I have. I was looking at adobe premier elements, and it looked pretty good but wasn't sure if it would run smoothly with 1gb of RAM. If anyone can give advice as to if I should go ahead and get adobe premier elements, or if not please give another suggestion as to what I should buy.

Thanks.

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Senior Member

to be honest you will need more ram at least 2gb with any video editing software. I know just playing a blu ray movie on my PC with Vista uses over 1gb. I cant even imagine running Vista with only 1GB and trying to do video encoding/editing.

3. WWIII

WWIII Well-Known Member

Sony Vegas will work fine on 1GB, I've used it before and had little trouble editing videos. As long as I didn't have a lot of other ---- running.

4. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Throw another gig or three of RAM in. It's not expensive. It seems ridiculous you'll throw money at software to solve a problem which is a ten minute fix on the hardware side. Not to mention you'll save yourself time and hassles later down the track.

5. Mortified Penguin

Mortified Penguin Senior Member

Vista should have a minimum of 2GB to run well. 1GB is the minimum it will run on. It's optimal performance is on about 3GB. Get 2 more 1GB ramsticks and you'll be sweet.

6. .infeQion

.infeQion Well-Known Member

Sony Vegas is a must, very good stuff right there been using that program for quite awhile now and it is awesome.

7. .ZERO

.ZERO Nigga wit a PSD

depends on the level of editing you want

beginner = Vegas
    midrange = Finalcut
    Highend = Premiere pro/AE

8. FoxMcCarther

FoxMcCarther Well-Known Member

I really do not consider Finalcut a midrange program, I would put it down with beginner, However, It is quite functional and will give you allot of versatility, I guess it really depends on what version of Final Cut you will use, I am running on "Final Cut --- Student" after all. As for ram, I can not believe vista is even running with 1Gb of ram lol, Mine struggles with 4. I would, If at all possible, Upgrade that.

That said, I am using final cut on my mac, do they make it for windows?