Us 'blocks Environment Progress'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Veripare, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Veripare

Veripare Well-Known Member

Source.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("BBC NEWS")</div>
    I'm now a little prouder about being a Canadian :)

But seriously, when is the US going to help improve the environment? When the Leafs win the Stanley Cup?

2. Blue_fire

Blue_fire Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you, I'm also glad that I'm Canadian.

3. Greasy Pete

Greasy Pete Senior Member

are we supposed to take up some sort of responsibility toward our environment?

what about other countries that don't do a thing?

4. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

when more than 5% of the world population knows that the stanley cup refers to hockey and of that 5% even half of them care.

as for being proud that your canadian, it is comparable to being proud that you were born as quite simply, that's all being "insert nationality-here" is

see the thing about the US is simple, our politicians

A trust the average person decide how their money is spent as opposed to countries which are more leftist where in such said scenario, the government feels that people are too stupid to take care of themselves

B like economic prosperity.

5. Wynter

Wynter Senior Member

Fair opinion Xelink, but I'm still proud to be English ;) When the world wakes up and realises we have caused our own extinction, is when the world will become a better place.

6. Dencity

Dencity Well-Known Member

I hope your referring to the US government, and not every American that lives in the US. Because we (the citizens) had no say in deferring these issues, while actually it was these officials who as Xelink said think we are too stupid to take care of ourselves who did.

7. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

yeah... totally...

you realize if EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THE US lived pollution free, it wouldn't matter what those in power said.

it ultimately is the american people who decide the floor of pollution output and to an extent it's ceiling as well.

if you want someone to blame, blame that single mother who commutes to work. blame that construction worker who uses a diesel powered crain, and blame that poor farmer who relies on a tractor to help him keep his property and his standard of living.

In europe and elsewhere mass transit is in place and food and industrial products are created elsewhere. The average person doesn't generate nearly as much pollution. On the flip side, they use just as many natural resources and just because that cell phone wasn't made in the EU doesn't mean that the pollution generated to make it in some eastern asian country isn't any diferent.

in short, everyone needs to get over their own ideological bull---- and seriously consider what allows them to live in comfort. People like to find something and then blindly follow it and state almost pointless arguments defending their irrationality while using ad hoc strategies to nullify any sense of reason. Seriously, pull the wool form your eyes, the canadians who are importing from the polluters are just as guilty as the polluters themselves, and ultimately it doesn't matter where something get made because it will be made. I personally prefer it to be made in my country since its production would help further enrich the area in which I live, it's called greed.

8. Greasy Pete

Greasy Pete Senior Member

yea!

i don't see how one citizen in another country can change the entire country's actions and views on the world

9. Marforce

Marforce Senior Member

You do realize that we are doing very little at the moment, Harper's budget yesterday is barely restoring environment programs which he cut last year. Canada is doing a pretty pathetic job on the environment, theres no way we'll reach Kyoto and it looks like the current government won't even try to get there.

10. kingcraigj

kingcraigj Well-Known Member

you do know global warming hasnt been proven :P

in the UK all the goverment are doing is using it as an excuse to tax you!! its totaly ridiculas.

we get ---- loads of tax on out petrol, it costs somethin like 89p per litre, and now there is talk of a tax that taxes you for the more you drive on top of all the tax on petrol!! the uk isnt even anywhere nere the highest poluters.

11. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

I'm now a little prouder about being an American. We piss everybody off just for our nationality, and ------ whoever happens to be an American - the mere label pisses people off.

Believe it or not, just because the government doesn't sign a treaty or doesn't use the same standards that, say, the EU, doesn't mean that I, as an American, go out, dump the oil in my car that I just changed into the nearest river, start spraying CFCs everywhere, and then go out and buy the biggest emission-producing vehicle I can find so I can drive around and pollute the atmosphere. Get out of your shell. '

And remember, just because the US doesn't agree with a treaty doesn't mean that those who do agree with it can't sign it and follow what it states. Remember, nobody needs us to agree to get anything done. Is it just the everybody-who-disagrees-with-me-is-an-asshole syndrome coming through again? ------ that, let's just blame America again. Forget the fact that many of these nations currently bitching don't have a lot to brag about when it comes to pollution.

12. Abgrund

Abgrund Well-Known Member

Its true though, we dont do enoudh to help the enviroment.

13. Shinobi

Shinobi Senior Member

I plant trees in my yard... then when they get to big my dad complains and cuts them down...

I try but someone always cuts me down :\

14. Veripare

Veripare Well-Known Member

The most of you just posted flame bait. Apparently no one can clue into the fact that I was referring to how poorly the officials in the US are handling environmental issues.

Also, it's not like the land of the beaver and moose is doing any better or worse - our Prime Minister has made changes to the budget the affects the environment, like Marforce said.

Some people need to learn how to calm down when they can't defuse a hot situation.

15. ChiefNX

ChiefNX Well-Known Member

The article doesn't mention a treaty; it's about America openly objecting to both a plan to implement global emissions trading and to recognise reforestation programmes in developing nations. Perhaps this wouldn't be so utterly condemnable if the US wasn't the world's largest 'per-head' polluter, but as it is they are showing the rest of the world that they care a great deal more about your economy than they do about the health of the planet.

By taking pride in your country's environmental self-interest you are showing the rest of the forum that you are just as morally delinquent as the ministers representing your country's environmental interests. Do not try to shoulder the blame onto other countries when yours has done more to hinder environmental progress than any other and still refuses to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by significant amounts in spite of the fact that it is accountable for a quarter of the world's greenhouse gas production.