Twilight

Discussion in 'Movies' started by The Vengeance, Nov 25, 2008.

1. The Vengeance

The Vengeance Well-Known Member

Well since it topped the box office over the weekend and I just got back from a night showing of it since I had nothing better to do I thought it deserved it's own review just in case people who haven't seen it but are ------ curious about it want to read up on it.

The story revolves around a girl named Isabella Swan, Bella for short (Kristen Stewart). Who decides to leave Phoenix, and move in with her father Charlie Swan (Billy Burke) in the small Washington state town of Forks after her mother Renee(Sarah Clark) decides to travel with her minor-league baseball step-father Phil (Matt Bushell). She thinks it's a good idea, however when she arrives and sees how rainy and miserable it is she wonders if she made the right choice.

At her high-school she makes friends fast enough, the very school oriented and high-spirited Eric (Justin Chon), Mike (Michael Welch) the baby-face boy who obviously has a liking towards Bella, Jessica (Anna Kendrick) who is sincere in her friendship towards Bella but sometimes comes off as the "ulterior motive" girl since she shows an obvious interest towards Mike. Also Angela (Christian Serratos) the "photographer girl" who is friends with all but has some confidence issues. Outside of school Bella's first encounter is with Billy Black (Gil Birmingham) an older Indian man in a wheelchair, and his son Jacob (Taylor Lautner) who has known Bella since they were children and used to make mud-pies with each other. The encounter is due to Bella's father purchasing an old truck from Billy for Bella to use.

Moving on, the Cullen family. We first see them enter the cafeteria. Bella can't help but notice and inquire after them. First we have the blonde and snappy Rosalie Hale (Nikki Reed), her younger brother Jasper (Jackson Rathbone), who is more like a mime throughout the movie since he says very little but always looks like a rodent who smells danger. The very strong and masculine looking Emmett Cullen (Kellan Lutz) who is dating Rosalie, and his younger sister Alice (Ashley Greene) who is dating Jasper. Then there's the fifth wheel and hero of the movie, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson), whom Bella takes the most interest towards and vice versa.

After an awkward first encounter in Biology where no words are exchanged but Edwards seems to dislike Bella on a massive level. Bella whose taken aback is somewhat remorseful but can't help but still find herself staring and daydreaming about the mysterious Edward since everything about him screams 'I'M PERFECT.' Hearts start pumping and feelings run rampant after Edward saves Bella from what would've been a fatal car accident; which makes Bella very suspicious about Edwards due to the unusual circumstances in how she was saved.

The movie continues and it's revealed that Edward is a Vampire, thus explaining his incredible reflexes, speed and strength as well as his pale white skin and ice-cold hands. We find why Edward was so wary at first towards Bella and why he feels they should continue to be so. As well as wheBut soon neither can really deny any longer their attraction to one another nor the passion they feel when around each other that threatens Edward's way of life and Bella's safety. All the while, grisly murders pop up around Forks by some unknown "animal{s}" who later turn out to be a separate group of Vampires. The difference between this rogue group of Vampires is that as far as tradition goes with Vampires, they are the good ole' blood-sucking bunch; whereas Edward and his family have learned to live off of animals instead to ensure a somewhat peaceful living environment which the other Vampires threaten to ruin. As the movie goes on Edward and Bella come to crossroads with serious choices that must be made. So what will happen?

I admit I'm still reading the first book of the Twilight series so I can't be as constructive with my criticism when it comes to comparing the two. This movie by no means is a waste of money in my opinion, I'll probably be taking my younger sister to take it this weekend again. It's not life-altering either though, I believe there were some things that they could've done to make the movie a little better, but what is better to me might not be to another. Either way if there's something I could've changed it would be to perhaps make the movie a bit longer to add some of the stuff they missed from the book, but they always leave stuff out so I won't lose sleep over it. If there's something I'm thankful for, is that since it IS a movie, they couldn't spend hours talking about Edwards eyes, or voice every other page like the book does. Some people like that in books to help build the elusion; so to each their own. Some parts were bland, other parts had at least me saying "wow." So all in all I'd give it a 7/10 because I didn't walk out of the theater wishing I had used the money on gas instead.

I also realize there was another discussion thread on the movie where people were saying they liked the deeper books by the more acclaimed authors. This I understand completely, I loved the Da Vinci Code, Timeline, and other books like so that have a bit more depth to them. However one of my favorite books is the Giver as well which is a middle-school level book, so sometimes it's kind of nice to have something like this to relax to.

As for this review, yes it is my own. It's really here to hopefully shed some more light for people who check here for reviews. There's always IMDB, Yahoo movies, Rotten Tomatoes if you want more with better ones if you dislike this one. I just write whatever comes to mind so if I left something out or wrote too much....well I don't care :D So I don't know, if you need a movie to watch with a bunch of your gal pals or girlfriend or girly boyfriend I'd slightly nudge you to check this one out even if movie ticket prices are outrageous...when did the matinee cost change to $7.50? <_<

2. _MegaX_

_MegaX_ Active Member

Pretty good review. I thought the movie was decent. Maybe because I'm a teenager.

3. Renagade

Renagade Senior Member

I'm anxious to see it.

I've read all the books, but haven't finished the last one... probably will within the next day.

I love the series. I've heard the movie was good, but haven't been able to get to see it myself. I will soon.

4. BabyLeo

BabyLeo Well-Known Member

I've heard the movie was decent. Personally I think movies based on books always kill the story a bit, but there are reasons enough for that. I haven't seen the movie but I can basically tell what the storyline is about just from the previews, I can't tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Until I read the books I won't bother with the movie. And I've heard the books are great so I will probably try my best to get a hold of them this weekend and see what happens.

5. Riot.

Riot. Well-Known Member

My friend read the books and told me they were pretty fantastic haha. He tried getting me to read em', but I never got around to it. With all this hype about the series though, I think I just might have to.

Either way, I prefer to read the book before watchin the movie, that way I can compare how I pictured the characters in my mind to the actual cast of the movie & what not.

btw, BabyLeo, that poem in your signature is ------in classic haha.

6. xboxgal

xboxgal Well-Known Member

I hadnt really heard about this until I happened to come upon the trailer by chance, looked like a good story but I never watch a film before I read the book. I find it more fun reading through it and then watching it come to life =]

7. mParanoia

mParanoia Well-Known Member

Prepare for epic fail. The fourth book is terrible and the ending makes it worse.

8. bluefalcon_ad

bluefalcon_ad Well-Known Member

Book series is so awful to me on every level I can't even begin to describe it. I don't even consider Stephanie Meyer an author. Book is in the same vein of fads such as Harry Potter and The DaVinci Code except far, far worse. The movie just makes things worse.

9. mParanoia

Bahaha. So true. Ten years from now no one will remember this series.

10. bluefalcon_ad

bluefalcon_ad Well-Known Member

Course, but people will remember Bram Stoker's Dracula and Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles cause it's 100 times better and 10000 times more meaningful than that crappy series. Lawl.

11. Vitamins

Vitamins Well-Known Member

this movie wasn't as bad, i haven't read the books before, and i thought it was a decent movie

12. Renagade

Renagade Senior Member

I just saw the movie and loved it.

Why? Because it actually didn't stray too far away from what happened in the book. There's only a few spots that upset me a little.

And whoever said her acting was crappy, I thought she did a pretty spot-on portrail of what I pictured in my head of Bella.

So boo on you.

And the fourth book is pretty good so far. I'm just hoping it ends well, but now I'm nervous... We'll see.

13. BoxWood

BoxWood New Member

Read all the books, can't wait for the film.

14. Renagade

Renagade Senior Member

I thought the fourth book was excellent.

Some of you are weirdos. :P

15. mParanoia

Biggest anti-climax ever. Meyers spends the entire book building up a huge battle. And then throw it into the air and says "screw it!"

The only reason you like the book is because of Edward. He's so hot, so perfect blah blah blah. Or Jacob, I'm not sure which one you like.
    The character doesn't change the fact that the book is poorly written and doesn't live up to the precedents it sets for itself.