Tutorials To Make Your Computer Better

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by longhornfreak, Jun 30, 2006.

1. longhornfreak

longhornfreak Well-Known Member

Well there are several things that you can do to speed up your comp, but to day..

-Disabling Start-Up programs
    -Cleaning up disk space
    -Getting Rid of viruses
    -Defrag

I am using Windows XP, so it might be a little different for some users.

<span style=\'color:red\'>Resources

http://www.cyberiapc.com/download.htm - for almost anything, usefull for older os users

i will edit this with more, but I'm really tired now ;(

2. AKW

AKW Senior Member

Erm... ad aware is not a virus scan.

I wouldn't suggest using the msconfig without being absolutely confident either. but, ok... and I have a thing on defragmenting... so that's just a repost and mine is more thorough... but gj

Also... defragmenting your iPod and Creative Zen is a GOOOD thing... so that last part is wrong.

3. longhornfreak

yeah i know, but for some other cheap ones, this will mess it up, i got a 128 mb mp3 player at frys electronics, i had a few songs on it, and wanted like 3 more so i figured i could defrag to get more space, then the mp3 player became incompatable, no clue why...

and on the msconfig, i said you shouldnt unless you know and i gave a website with 12000+ proccesses, and a recomendation on what to do to them

on the defrag, i didnt see ur post, but i knew about it a while ago, and its a lil something that can help alot, and yeah mine is a little blatant, but i was tired lol

4. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

i'd recomend using mroe than one spyware scanner, spybot S&D is pretty commonly prefered. Also, actualy add a virus scanner to that, you don't have one. I also recomend defragmenting your harddrive based mp3players and external harddrives(they are essentially the same thing) as AKW said, though if I'm not mistaken it isn't as necessary for flash based drivers

5. .sNaKey

.sNaKey Well-Known Member

i knew that already but good for other people :P

6. longhornfreak

k did that thx,

more to come

7. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

you need to change the part where you said it's not recomended or music players. mp3 players get fragmented worse than most modern computers because they all use the FAT file system which is vulnerable to fragmentation.

8. .:PeeWee:.

.:PeeWee:. Well-Known Member

I knew most of that but I didn't know aht some of the processes were so thanks for the list