Tony Hawk's American Wasteland Review

Discussion in 'Movies' started by G-Force, Jan 27, 2006.

1. G-Force

G-Force Well-Known Member

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland Review

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland is an all-around good game but yet, it leaves you wanting more. Some may expect the series to be going downhill but I think of this game as the first step to what we can expect on the next-gen consoles.

With that being said, story mode is definetely better than THUG2's "destroy everything, that will be fun!" theme. Neversoft really hit the nail on the head for the story incorporating everything from money for stores, sponsor challenges to gain stats and all of the create-a-modes (except CAP). But disappointingly, as soon as it's started, it ends. The shortness of the story really takes away from the greatness one might expect from a Tony Hawk game.

The levels are, on the whole, larger than THUG2's and the designing of the levels are on par with all the other Tony Hawk games. Van's Skatepark really takes you back to Slam City Jam from THUG, but this park is larger. Unfortunately, if you were under the impression this was all one large city, you are only half right, my friend. All of the story mode levels are seperated by some sort of tunnel you must travel through to get from end to the other. Your other option is to take a bus, which is fast and easy.

Classic mode is what was somewhat expected, it again, like in THUG2, is just OK. It's too bad sick mode didn't really ramp up to the difficult region like hoped.

On subject of tricks and the soundtrack, the soundtrack is decent covering a vast area of music anywhere from punk to emo to metal to hip hop. You may not like every song, but there should be at least a little something for everyone in here. Now I have to get a special shout out to the flip tricks in THAW. You may be wondering why and i'll tell you, it's because Neversoft spent loads of times reworking these flip tricks and they now look ALOT closer to real life. Running in this game has became a little funner, with a little practice you'll be running around, climbing up walls, and front flipping with ease.

Overall, Tony Hawk's American Wasteland is a good stand alone game, but when compared to the older ones, it may not seem as good. But the gameplay is still fun, however VERY easy (I compleated it in 6 hours) and somehow Neversoft finds a way to implement even more tricks into the game every single year. There might be things that disappoint you like: create-a-goal being gone and create-a-park being a regurgitation from THUG2 but really with the gameplay and levels and characters, these pros and cons balance out. Instead of seeing this game as a complete letdown from what you expected (not that you will), try and see it as one step closer in the right direction. One of these days a Tony Hawk game will come out and just blow everyone's socks off the way I see it.

Overall
    94/100

2. Blazeman

Blazeman Am I Evil?

Very Nice Review

This game is mostly for online uses i personally think its not much of a regular game play for me .

3. G-Force

G-Force Well-Known Member

Yes with the online, although you WILL get beaten if you play online.

Seriously, I have played, I have lost.

You will play, and you will lose.

Only like, uber TH gamers will win.

4. Blazeman

Blazeman Am I Evil?

Lol ya i sucked at the single player mode i have no faith in doing the multiplayer mode of the game.

5. Cesto Ode

Cesto Ode Well-Known Member

not my type of game really, but i might give it a try at some point

6. Link_2006

Link_2006 Well-Known Member

I played it and i realy dont like it much. I guesse I dont like skate board games.

still nice review.