The Style Factory -webdesign

Discussion in 'Website Design and Coding' started by soulbrother, Dec 21, 2008.

1. soulbrother

soulbrother Member

<div align="center">[​IMG]
    click to enlarge

Artist's Comments
    The style factory, webdesign.

Full made in photoshop.
    Fav if you like, and i love comments.
    Featured work made by burning
    Kindly Regards.</div>

2. K.Peezie.exe

K.Peezie.exe Well-Known Member

Sick! I love this web design. Really simple, sleek and attractive!

3. soulbrother

soulbrother Member

Thank you :)

4. Sanity Penguin

Sanity Penguin My sex is on fire

Pretty good stuff. Simple but clean. Good navigation and the simple colour scheme does the trick.
    really like it :)

5. Equivalent Exchange

Equivalent Exchange Well-Known Member

(Long time no see folks).

Disclaimer: I aim for critical critique, don't be offended, etc, etc.

First off, your basic mentality is somewhat solid, however the detailed placement throws off the balance of the site.

For example, in this case aligning the recent topics left boundary with that of the box directly above it would help.

Also, if you intend to keep the leftmost middle "lorem ipsum" box larger than the other three, draw attention to it more than the other to differentiate it. Otherwise match the sizes of all three of those boxes. Ditch the drop shadows on the "lorem ipsum" titles and dates. They're neither practical nor aesthetic there. As far as organization, do one of two things. Justify the main text in those boxes so their left and right bounder match up with the title and date above them. Or, put the title and date together.

By the way, disable anti-aliasing on font sizes 14 and below to better reflect how the template will look when coded.

Your "Shoutbox" copyright tag is throwing off the padding around the Shoutbox itself. It creates too much whitespace to the left and right of the disclaimer itself. Move it to the bottom and lump it with the main copyright. The uneven padding around/between the shoutbox doesn't add a good look. Standardize it. Also add more padding between the box borders and the text, and give the fields some labels ("recent shouts", "add a shout", etc). Same with the refresh button, too close to the border edge. Honestly I think the refresh button could use more prominence while you are at it - say move it above or below the shouts with a label affixed.

The banner right now is an empty sky. The bannerspace is huge compared to how much of it you use. Enlarge that logo at the very least. Branding! Try mix up the straight, generic gradient too; add the color gradient from a couple different angles for a nice effect.

Drop the reflections on your nav bar. You've already got some reflection in you logo, keep it at that. The gradient behind it is too harsh as well, instead of gray to black, use gray to darker gray. And do something about the symmetry issue in the navigation. Expand the links to fill the with of the wrapper. If you're feeling daring, try a nav bar that isnt contained by the wrapper and extends straight to the edges off the page.

Aim for a better transition between the header and nav bar. Try a dark blue at the bottom of the banner.

Slide the featured work text ever so slightly right. Increase the font size of the title of the work. Remember, make something stand out. Here, the featured work box is what grabs the users attention as soon as they arrive; take full advantage.

In your main content pane ("the style factory..."), put the posted by under the title. Ditch the black line between the main content pane. Those two background colors will go well together without that line. Also, that radial gradient in the background of that box looks tacked in. Add subtlety, and expand it farther.

Your recent topics links could use some differentiating styles to advertise the fact that they are clickable links, assuming they are. And make their text bigger, you've got plenty of untapped space in that box.

Ditch the brackets around the "comments" and "click for more statics" links.

Your footer gradient is also ever so slightly too harsh, soften the transition. Might I suggest going for a larger footer, also, one that extends down to the bottom of the page aesthetically.

The gradiented pattern in the background could be extended farther down the page. The plain background in conjunction with this design gives the feeling of a lack of depth.

Whew. Hope that helps.

(I tend to jump back and forth when writing these, if something doesn't make sense or I repeat myself, that's why.)

6. whowhodilly

whowhodilly Active Member

nice design but what i really like is the "city in the palm of your hand"....very cool picture

7. Reserection.

Reserection. Guest

To me it seems empty like you did not plan it, always draw a draft before you even touch photoshop, its very essential to do that, it helps a lot, right now it looks like a mess and remember the smooth text is a no, keep it on none its -----

8. Brandon W

Brandon W Well-Known Member

I don't know what to say, but my favourite part of the layout is the navigation. Very smooth and sleek :)

9. Escoda

Escoda Well-Known Member

The way you position your 'featured work' is really nice. Great design.

10. .Alfons

.Alfons Well-Known Member

Its too plain, try bringin in some colour.

11. Unlucky4Ever

Unlucky4Ever Senior Member

Very nice!