The Lost Symbol

Discussion in 'Movies' started by nanSTA, Aug 18, 2009.

1. nanSTA

nanSTA Senior Member

Anyone interested in reading this? I have it pre-ordered.

2. Papermache

Papermache Well-Known Member

I'll read it, but I am not really waiting on the edge of my seat. Should be an interesting book.

3. devour

devour Well-Known Member

4. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Dan Brown is an excellent story teller, but he spins far too much bullsh!t to appeal to my taste. So many wannabe pseudo-intellectuals spouting the crap he portrayed as fact in The DaVinci Code. He throws in a few facts and widely known theories, and augments them with a truckload of pure fiction, and all of a sudden people think they're reading a biography.

5. Papermache

Reminds me of the part in Angels and Demons where spoiler alert he jumps out of the helicopter with a blanket or whatever (haven't read it in years) and floats to safety into the river or some such. Though I did enjoy reading both Robert Langdon books, I didn't enjoy the so aptly named bull----. Which is why I will read the book, but not be waiting on the edge of my seat for it.

6. devour

devour Well-Known Member

I read his books for the psychological happenings in them, the wow I didn't think that would happen or didn't realize things could be connected like that.

7. Papermache

You would think, for such an accomplished writer, that he would be able to come up with a better title than "The Lost Symbol". A bit anticlimactic in my opinion. The working title was much better.

8. dinges

dinges Senior Member

same here
    I'll definitly read it, possibly getting it for my birthday

9. Broken

Broken Well-Known Member

Da Vinci Code is probaly the worst of Dan Browns 'recent' books.

I don't think he can be blamed for how people interpreted his books though.

Unfortunately, due to the media coverage and the two films already out, this book is being written for film and I'm betting it'll suffer due to it.

10. Papermache

Really? That is one of the only books of his I like. I will only read the Robert Langdon books, Deception Point and Digital Fortress were pretty boring.

11. Greasy Pete

Greasy Pete Senior Member

so is this guy a genius or something? overrated?

he's got an extremely boring name.

12. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

He's over-rated, but thats only because all the pseudo-intellectual dip----s somehow think his book is based on fact.

13. Papermache

Like inverse said before though, he is an excellent story teller. That alone is enough reason to read one of his books. Just don't go telling your girlfriend 'facts' about Mary Magdalene without searching real sources first.

14. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Ever heard of Horus?

He was the son of God, born of a virgin on the 25th of December. Three kings followed a star marking his place of birth, and gave him gifts. He was a spiritual teacher at the age of 12. He had 12 disciples, and they travelled around performing miracles such as healing the sick, and walking on water. He was known by many names including the "Lamb of God" and "The Good Shepard. After being betrayed by one of his followers, he was crucified. He was buried, and three days later was ressurected.

His story was first written 3000 years before the birth of Christ (3000BC), and documents dating back to well before Jesus' time have backed this up. At the time of it's writing, this story was considered fiction. A mythological representation of Astronomical patterns, which many many cultures studied since thousands of years ago.

The gods Attis, Krishna, Dionysus, Mithra, as well as dozens of others, all share the exact same story. ALL dating before the birth of Jesus Christ. The story of Christianity is simply another iteration of the same story, however it is the FIRST to be taken as literal fact.

15. Broken

Broken Well-Known Member

Deception Point was good, second favourite out of his books next to Angels and Demons (Which, by the by, was destroyed in the film translation)