The Definitive Analysis Of Games Pirating

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [.BC.] Dr. Pepsi, Dec 12, 2008.

1. [.BC.] Dr. Pepsi

[.BC.] Dr. Pepsi Well-Known Member

http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html

this is the definitive analysis of the PC game pirating situation. it's long, but it's well-researched and very well-constructed. even if you only play console games, it's a good idea to get a sense of what the issues are.

the parts on DRM backlash are particularly enlightening.

Read it. Link to it. Tell your friends about it. Maybe we can reverse the negative changes that are occurring.

After you've read it, feel free to discuss it here in this thread.

2. WWIII

WWIII Well-Known Member

I personally found the article incredibly bloated with information and rants about virtually nothing. Some of the data was wrong or was missing key points. Overall decent information, but nothing a quick wikipedia description couldn't tell you.

3. .//XeN-

.//XeN- Well-Known Member

I quickly flicked to the DRM section because you claimed it was insightful then closed the window when I read that "WoW's DRM has worked well."

4. WWIII

WWIII Well-Known Member

:D hahahaha. All it is is an account authorization to play on official servers. Yet you can play the game no problem on private servers. There are actually a good number of very high end, well populated private servers too.

5. .ZERO

.ZERO Nigga wit a PSD

Odd, I found a cracked version of GTA4, 17 hours after release, besides, listen to WWIII, he knows what he's talking about :P

6. WWIII

WWIII Well-Known Member

Odd, I found a cracked version of GTA4, 17 hours after release, besides, listen to WWIII, he knows what he's talking about :P
    [/b][/quote]
    Hahaha thanks. I've been in this game for a long time. I'm actually the owner of FreeSteam (Over 2 years old now) and yeah... Steam is definitely a good system, probably the best official DRM in a sense. Again, it is the account base, and there are ways to pirate those games as well.
    Also, they miss the point that most (nearly all) pirated games cannot be played online w/o a legit key. Or private/cracked servers.

Also a big point they miss, is a lot of the times these "crackers" or "pirates" get their content days/weeks before official release dates. They recruit people who can do this. Whether they work at a store or have their ways of getting the content. Sometimes people within companies are willing to help them out. Usually for a little payment or because they make friends.

Also, many demos contain most of the game's content, so this can also be cracked/pirated. As in Adobe software! It can take a lot more time to cut out portions of a game then to limit it with some quick code and release the full thing.

7. VideoGames

VideoGames Well-Known Member

okay, thanks for info.

8. WWIII

WWIII Well-Known Member

^^^
    You are a giant idiot and contributed nothing to this thread. This is an actual issue that may be presented to a lot of us PC gamers.

9. smallpau1

smallpau1 Senior Member

Actually, WoWgasm as well as other WoW private servers were shut down, supposedly by Blizzard.

10. WWIII

WWIII Well-Known Member

I doubt that, but either way, there are still a lot of them out there.

I have ran FS for over 2 years, and Valve has my information, and has yet to do anything. Even when I was blatantly copyright infringing their content. I had to actually contact them. haha