Student Arrested For Having Gun In University

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Coolguy, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Coolguy

Coolguy Well-Known Member

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?s...1&aid=74000

i live about 5 blocks from it, wow was it something.. Im coming home from high school which is almost across the road... and i hear cop cars.. a lot of them. so i stood there for a couple of minutes, a helicopter showed up as well.. then there were medic teams. A lot of police officers tho..

Well, first of all, I was told by someone from the campus he had a mask of george bush, but wasnt wearing it.. then, he had a rifle in a plastic bag or something like that..

2. XxCarbinexX

XxCarbinexX Well-Known Member

It's a sad day when you have to worry about ---- like this at a high school. Any school for that matter. I remember that we had a bomb threat at my school when I was a freshman.

3. .:ForsakeN:.

.:ForsakeN:. Senior Member

These are the scary ass reasons why i want to home school my daughter, A very sad world when it is not safe to send your children to learn anymore... :(

4. Blazeman

Blazeman Am I Evil?

Agreed. I say use metal detectors.

5. ebolagod

ebolagod Well-Known Member

I would just find a respectable school, or take them to/from school everyday. And be overly interested, making sure the enviorment is ok.

About the student, they have some really nasty consequences (why shouldn't they? bring a gun to school..) for that now after the previous instances where it has gone unpunished/noticed and resulted in disasters (columbine and that tech school).

6. Coolguy

We do have metal detectors.. I had to go thru them today, but the problem is, they dont detect everything. I remember talking to a cop, he said if you put a blade in it, making the sharp side stay upwards, it wont be seen thru the xray machines.

And it is actually sad that this happeneds

7. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

They'd pick up the metal, though, and unless you took the hilt off of the blade, you'd still have to worry about that big, distinctive chunk of metal.

Metal detectors don't catch everything. I've brought a ceramic knife on a plane several times, and have never been stopped.

8. ShneakySquirrel

ShneakySquirrel Well-Known Member

My mom has worked at an airport... American Airlines to be exact, for 30 years. After the 9/11 Incident.... security went up 10 fold. Ffs, they caught terrorists who were going to attempt to bring Camera's with explosive clear liquid inside of it..... and you think they don't catch a ceramic knife? I hardly expect that to be true.

However, IF what you say is credible.... then it wasn't very smart to post that on the internet, on a well-known, public, forum. If something involved with terrorists and planes happens again, and they use Ceramic knives... we can point to you :P .

Anyway, this sucks that this happened at the College. Good thing they caught him. I believe they can put him up for attempted murder charges.

What college was this, by the way?

9. Coolguy

St. Johns University

and i said the xray machines not metal detectors :)

10. SM RxBandits

SM RxBandits Senior Member

good. people who bring guns to school are stupid

11. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. Post 9/11, though security (and subsequently, wait times and general frustration) went up ten-fold, a metal detector did not inhibit me from carrying a ceramic neck knife through. No metal parts, only a blade and a lanyard hole -- nothing to pick up. Had it been in my bag, its shape would have been enough to stop and search the bag. The same goes for somebody that's got a large chunk of metal like a gun or knife in their carry-on; the x-ray classifies the contents by material (metal, non-metal) and shows the shape of the objects. They're not doing strip-searches at the gates, you know, unless you give them a reason to do so (i.e. showing up in a Hamas headband, acting erratically, and chanting Qur'an verses about martyrdom). Security still sucks at airports -- they let people that have no business being there walk around unsupervised, especially when construction is going on and you've got a bunch of illegals doing your work for you.

They caught the guys trying to sneak chemical explosives on because of intelligence, not some random check that found nitro glycerin in a baby bottle. Think about it; if they were able to detect that beforehand, why make their jobs harder and allow things like soda and baby formula onto the planes? As for the gub'mint, what evidence do they have other than a -------confession that wasn't given in the presence of an attorney?

12. scarletham

scarletham Well-Known Member

Stricter gun laws would be nice, but no, freedom to own guns without many strings attached is just so important.

13. Angst

Angst Senior Member

See this is what many of us outside the USA dont get. It would seem the cost for peoples right/freedom to access and bare arms comes at a high cost and that would seem a lot of innocent people are killed because of these liberal gun laws.

As a result of fairly liberal gun laws,although not as liberal as the US, Australia tightened it's gun laws due to the Port Arthur massacre some 10 years ago. The fact that an individual was able to get hold of a ------ automatic rifle and wander indiscriminately thru a tourist spot and kill 34 people and maiming many more focused the spotlight fairly on how easy it was for individuals to get a hold of very dangerous high powered weapons. Subsequently the federal govt introduced new stricter gun controls, with an overwhelming support from the public.And no, the fact that we don't have access too these weapons anymore dosn't mean we feel we've lost some fundamental right...but to the contrary ,people overwhelmingly feel safer as a result. And for us, this is the trade-off.

Myself and the vast majority of people I know applaud our fed govt for these laws and any attempt's...which there have been a few, have been met with overwhelming opposition...and long may that remain the case.

14. ShneakySquirrel

ShneakySquirrel Well-Known Member

In the United States, we don't want our 2nd Amendment taken away. This ONLY extends to a simple pistol... MAYBE a hunting rifle/shotgun for sport. NOT a ------ing Automatic Rifle. The argument, and a damn good one at that, is that CRIMINALS WILL get a hold of illegal weapons regardless of the law. So what's the point of disarming law abiding citizens?

Guess what... I can't think think of a time in the United States where someone took a Automatic Rifle and went on a massacre. However, just recently someone with a hand gun, in a college, went on a massacre not to long ago. I'm referring to the Virginia Tech shooting. Bare in mind though, that this was a psycho who did this, and would go and kill people for whatever his reasons were. However, I GUARANTEE that if everyone on the campus was armed with a gun, that there would have been MUCH fewer than 30 casualties... closer to 4, because almost everyone would have turned there guns on him.

15. ebolagod

ebolagod Well-Known Member

If you ask me thats just stupid. I wouldn't keep doing that, the security codes they're using get tougher and tougher every month. If you get caught, you're screwed. Not only do you get fined/jailed/questioned, you'll be 'blacklisted.' If you ever studied about the red scare in the US, you'll know how bad that can be. You're basically tagged a terrorist. Everything you do after that will be scrutinized under keen supervision..