Stardust

Discussion in 'Movies' started by The Vengeance, Oct 7, 2007.

1. The Vengeance

The Vengeance Well-Known Member

I've cut way back on going to the movie theater to see any new movies since the majority of the time I feel royally raped of my money when I leave. But this weekend I had nothing better to do since I was babysitting until early evening, so I'm driving home and see in one of the older theaters that their one screen is playing the movie Stardust. I had remembered seeing a preview of it before but I never would've seen it just because I thought it looked a bit lame. Anyway I thought oh what the hell, park my car, buy a ticket and find a seat. I really wasn't expecting much, this movie didn't get nearly as much publicity as it should have in my opinion. Anyway I was glad I was wrong about it being lame...

The core story is a generic boy-loves-girl, boy-goes-to-prove-his-love-by-some-daring-deed, boy-becomes-a-man-through-his-adventures, but with the entire movie as a whole, you find MUCH more to it, and anything like that forgiveable. Anyway the story follows a young man named Tristan (Charlie Cox), who lives in a village named Wall, quite literally for the wall that divides it from a magical realm called Stormholde. Tristan is in love with Victoria (Sienna Miller), trouble is he's not the only one who loves her. One night when Tristan and Victoria are together they see a falling star, Tristan vows to retrieve the star in return for Victoria's hand. Victoria agrees to the bargain, and so off Tristan goes to the land of Stormholde find the star and prove his love.

Upon finding the crater where the star had fallen, Tristan discovers the star is not actually an object. But a young woman named Yvaine (Claire Danes). Determined to return to his beloved and present to her Yvaine the fallen star, Tristan begins his real journey...

Of course along the way he meets obstacles, such as a witch named Lamia (Michelle Pfeiffer) who wants the star for everlasting beauty/life, a prince named Septimus (Mark Strong) who is racing to find the star along with his brothers to be named king of Stormholde. But enemies are not met without allies, among these allies are sky pirates that soar through storms collecting lightning, their captain is Shakespeare (Robert De Niro), and the slave girl (Kate Magowan).

I won't say anymore about the plot, because it's really worth seeing for yourself. This movie was brilliant, it reminded me of the Princess Bride due to the fact that it had that clever humor/wit throughout it, and a touching love story to go alongside. Normally I get a little squeemish if something is too corny or mushy, but this movie was the right tone in every aspect. It takes things from generic fairy tales (witches, unicorns, shooting stars, princes) and puts them in an amazing original masterpiece. I'm glad I didn't wait for this to come out on DVD for the plain fact that I wouldn't be first in line to buy it if I had. Also if you're a De Niro fan like myself, you'll see a very different side of him in this movie :lol: overall I'd rate this movie 9/10 only because I wish it had been longer, so we could see more character development even though it was good for the time allotted. Great movie all the same!

*´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·` * *STARDUST*

2. Kalamadorel

Kalamadorel Well-Known Member

I heard pretty good things about this movie, After this im probably gonna go see it.

Thanks

3. zwankildare

zwankildare Active Member

Thx for the preview. I go give it a try.

4. .ArctiC.

.ArctiC. Well-Known Member

It's based on a book written by Neil Gaiman. He's called the Dark Prince of Fantasy or something like that. I've never read his book except his collaboration with Terry Pratchet on Good Omens. Seriously good book. And I've heard they're gonna be making a movie about that one, too. Starring Johnny Depp. Spot on casting. Anyway, my brother has got all of Neil's book. From what he tells me, this guy is great. Taking traditional things and making it unique. Read Anansi Boys where he plays around with deitys