Sotw Discussion For Week 16/11/04: Half Life 2

Discussion in 'SOTW Archive' started by Guinness70, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alias

Alias Well-Known Member

lol its more turning into a animation vs non animated sig topic, but i think both can be very good cus some people master the skills of animation very good, ans ome do normal sigs beter, i just like to do both now and then, but no expert in both, also i like both kind of sigs, it al depends on how the sig is made

2. Drizzt

Drizzt New Member

sorry to post off subject but man your half life 2 sig owns me :ph34r:

3. ritalinrage96

ritalinrage96 New Member

yea there is some great posts this week B)

4. Burse

Burse Well-Known Member

Agreed. But You sig is approx. 934.04 KB (956460 bytes) which is ubelievable wrong to a SOTW contest, next to the others which are between 15-100 KB tops and yours is laomst a 1000! I think there should be a rule on the size limit cause I personally think it aint fair...check any other gfx site out and there is a size limit to the SOTW, most commonly 60KB....thats why i hate animation also.

But nice sig tho, thats my 2 cents.

Burse

5. xZavier

xZavier Well-Known Member

Yeah, all great sites have sig size limits for a reason. It will destroy the bandwith.

6. CommandoSGT

CommandoSGT Well-Known Member

Yea, at first when I came here I thought there was one.. I thought wrong. Anyways from the looks of the entries, I DEFITNATELY LOST!

7. Alias

Alias Well-Known Member

Agreed. But You sig is approx. 934.04 KB (956460 bytes) which is ubelievable wrong to a SOTW contest, next to the others which are between 15-100 KB tops and yours is laomst a 1000! I think there should be a rule on the size limit cause I personally think it aint fair...check any other gfx site out and there is a size limit to the SOTW, most commonly 60KB....thats why i hate animation also.

But nice sig tho, thats my 2 cents.

Burse [/b][/quote]
    well i dont think its unfair cus sinds there is no size limitid every one is free to make it the same size as me and use a animtion, it would be unfair if me ore someone else was alowed to use 1mb and all others 100kb that would be unfair, but sind everyone is free to do so its up to evryone to make a choise on how to do it. ;) but yeh mine is kinda bigy lol :)

8. Guinness70

Guinness70 Well-Known Member

its a matter of taste really.
    if its a good sig with a fitting animation with a purpose or a good setting for the video then its great.

if its a poor sig with a video thrown in : it makes it worse. we recognise that.
    if there is animation we become more demanding of the rest of the sig.
    so its one more thing that can be wrong. animation isnt the key to winning.

as for size, yes, large kb sigs are annoying if they slow down the loading too much.
    I the animation makes the kb too big I remove frames and slow down frame rate or make the sig smaller.
    reducing the number of colors in the palette from 256 to 128 can also help reduce the kb size of a sig.

there's a handy optimizing program called Ulead SmartSaver , great stuff!

like you said catweasel, there is no limit, its open to all.
    I'm pretty sure I can reduce the kb size of catweasel sig to 500kb and wouldnt notice it unless you put them side by side

9. Burse

Burse Well-Known Member

its a matter of taste really.
    if its a good sig with a fitting animation with a purpose or a good setting for the video then its great.

if its a poor sig with a video thrown in : it makes it worse. we recognise that.
    if there is animation we become more demanding of the rest of the sig.
    so its one more thing that can be wrong. animation isnt the key to winning.

as for size, yes, large kb sigs are annoying if they slow down the loading too much.
    I the animation makes the kb too big I remove frames and slow down frame rate or make the sig smaller.
    reducing the number of colors in the palette from 256 to 128 can also help reduce the kb size of a sig.

there's a handy optimizing program called Ulead SmartSaver , great stuff!

like you said catweasel, there is no limit, its open to all.
    I'm pretty sure I can reduce the kb size of catweasel sig to 500kb and wouldnt notice it unless you put them side by side [/b][/quote]
    Agreed. But 500 kb for a sig is still a lot to me... Anything higher than 100 kb, if it would be on my site it be removed right away....

10. Guinness70

that is your perogative. :)

yeah, 500kb is maxmax for me. when I go for animation the sig is smaller like 400x100 or even smaller while my regular sig size is 400x150
    that 50pixels can make a big diff if there are many frames.
    also them video sigs have WAY too many frames. usually with a delay of 0.07s or 0.05s, you can delete every secund frame and increase the delay to 0.10s.
    some frames dont even look different, they are just repeated to make the delay which for 2seconds can take 20 to 30frames.
    what you should do is remove 29frames and set the delay of the one frame to 2 seconds.
    that kind of "proper" delaying can reduce the kbsize drasticly! add to that the color palette reduction and you can get it down to 30% of the original.

it does take some work.

thats what makes the difference when you look at a movie sig in an animation editing program like ImageReady.
    was it noobed or mastered :) talking about the technical directing, not the design.

11. Alias

Alias Well-Known Member

yeah your probebly right about they size thingy, but i sont realy know how to make it smaller, i just started whit this animation sind couuple of weeks, so dont realy know how to make it smaller and stuff, just do my best to make it look good ;)

12. Guinness70

and you succeeded!!!

no kb limit was set.
    no animal was hurt
    so its all good :)

read my explanation and try it. the kb will decrease for sure and wont notice a difference in the look!

13. Burse

Burse Well-Known Member

that is your perogative. :)

yeah, 500kb is maxmax for me. when I go for animation the sig is smaller like 400x100 or even smaller while my regular sig size is 400x150
    that 50pixels can make a big diff if there are many frames.
    also them video sigs have WAY too many frames. usually with a delay of 0.07s or 0.05s, you can delete every secund frame and increase the delay to 0.10s.
    some frames dont even look different, they are just repeated to make the delay which for 2seconds can take 20 to 30frames.
    what you should do is remove 29frames and set the delay of the one frame to 2 seconds.
    that kind of "proper" delaying can reduce the kbsize drasticly! add to that the color palette reduction and you can get it down to 30% of the original.

it does take some work.

thats what makes the difference when you look at a movie sig in an animation editing program like ImageReady.
    was it noobed or mastered :) talking about the technical directing, not the design. [/b][/quote]
    Agreed Giuness, just a thought thats all dotn have to take it.

Cat I guess you proved yourself wuth sucess cause that sig turned out prettywell :D

When will the winner and runners up be annouced?

14. -RefleX-

-RefleX- Well-Known Member

anyways i agree with burse there shud be a limit. thats a even bigger challenge for the guys who do animations. just a thought.

15. laMe

laMe Well-Known Member

yes isnt it a lil late?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.