Sony Just Got Served

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SkatZ, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Magicgfx

Magicgfx Senior Member

It isn't sony's choice whether or not what console the game gets released on. Its the developers. This was most likely a movie to simply increase sales of the game.

2. dementia

dementia Well-Known Member

Final Fantasy to Sony is like... Halo to Xbox. I bought a PS3 for the SOLE reason that FFXIII was claimed to be a PS3 exclusive title (with of course the cellular version and such, because I knew, just as it happened with every other major title release, the consoles would be sold out at the same time the game was released, so I bought mine early when I had money. Now that PS no longer has FF, which is basically the ONLY console game I really play anymore, I am going to probably stick with Xbox. This doesn't change though that my entire stereo setup, my old tv, my computer speakers and just about everything electronic I have is Sony. Still love the company, but the exclusive titles they have lined up aren't of interest to me. Tekken, GTA, MGS, etc. don't interest me at all, so meh, off to 360 it is I guess.

For a LOT of Sony lovers, the primary game of choice was Final Fantasy. It is a HUGE portion of the Playstation market.

3. wildsorrow

wildsorrow Well-Known Member

Sony is also focusing on creating new all time classics.
    Instead of selling ps3's by pushing sequel after sequel. They are introducing brand new classics.
    I mean we all know Final Fantasy is a classic, but its time to move on and make more classics.

Also, developers know that Microsoft is a millions times stronger with x360 than it was with the original xbox.
    Which is why they're releasing on both consoles.

and the amount of legendary games sony got as exclusives, its just ridiculous to say they got served because Final Fantasy isn't exclusive anymore.

-

4. Pulse.

Pulse. Well-Known Member

Final Fantasy sells so its a good move on square enix's part, but PS3 doesnt need final fantasy to be a good console look at the games that are coming soon and in the future.

Echochrome, Pain, Elefunk, Warhawk is the way sony are going more recently along with the big hitters, to create a more rounded gaming base whilst the 360 relies on shooters.

PS3 Can live without FF being exclusive.. the same i guess with the 360 losing Bioshock.

5. Miyo

Miyo Member

You'd be surprised. There's already several FF-style games on the system (Lost Odyssey - my favorite 360 game, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata), and quite a few more coming out - Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remnant, Tales of Vesperia...the 360 is definitely starting to release more J-RPGs and they are selling well.

Anyway, I am pleased with this announcement - I love Final Fantasy, already own a 360, and the only reason I was going to buy a 360 was for FFXIII. Now I don't need to!

6. SM Ciel

SM Ciel Well-Known Member

Did anyone enjoy Sony's E3 press conference?
    130 NEW.... PS2 titles? Who cares?

7. Ini

Ini Well-Known Member

MAG sounds awesome.

LBP looks awesome too.

Sony easily lived up to Microsoft.

And like they said in a presentation using LBP, the PS2 still sells a fair amount of consoles so evidentially, people do care.

8. TAD. Zolo

TAD. Zolo Well-Known Member

Um that's a lot, unless you're not good with numbers. It's good that Sony still stays true to PS2 users. Not many people want to transition to a PS3 and that helps PS2 users stay in touch with newer games.

9. Pulse.

Pulse. Well-Known Member

yup, a few of my friends still have their PS2 as they cant afford to get a PS3 just yet but most have got a PS3 now.

10. Miyo

Miyo Member

They're really not going to concentrate on the PS2 that much longer, though. They can't make any money off of the PS3 if people aren't buying it, after all!

The PS2 does still sell a lot but sales are starting to slow down, a lot. Supposedly Sony's going to be dropping the price of the system soon, to $100.

11. SM Ciel

SM Ciel Well-Known Member

Not many people want to transition to the PS3 because it isn't worth it?
    Yes. Not yet anyway... not any time soon either.

And yes, LittleBigPlanet looks amazing.

12. TAD. Zolo

No, not many people don't have the money in their pockets.

13. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

they make their money off of game sales NOT console sales. Sony probably planned to loose money on the PS3. Their goals were to establish blu ray as a standard and to make money off of that, and to dump otherwise defective cell chips that either can't run very fast, or have defective co processors(Cell has very low yields, as high as a 90% failure rate, and those which are good are sold in the server space at a much higher price but are much higher performing than the 3rd class pseudo defective chips that go into the PS3 )
    I'm sorry to the playstation fans but sony basically did a big F` YOU to you guys this generation. First blu-ray which doesn't really help with games and in in some cases worse due to slower read speeds and worse access times, and then cell which is a non-ideal chip for gaming

then they're incredibly irresponsible with their finances

$400 is nothing and when you don't even have that much that's kind of sad. I'm your "starving college student" who works part time at a ----ty job and lives on his own, and I still have that ten times over just from what I saved up during high school and another few thousand saved from while in college. Then consider the typical family, two parents supporting two kids... costs/person are roughly the same and two adults working full time instead of part time and making more per hour should be able to bring in a fair deal more income per person than I do...

14. KillaDawg

KillaDawg Well-Known Member

Microsoft ftw...

Microsoft:1 Sony: 0

15. TAD. Zolo

Yeah that makes sense. Most people have bills to pay, it's not like they can just go out and buy a new gaming console. You have to think about what you're doing. Just because you have money doesn't mean everyone else does, it doesn't make it sad. If you are a "starving college student" and have money, why are you starving. Some people have more important things to take care of than buying a gaming console.