Socsaints World Of Knowledge

Discussion in 'Camera Drawn' started by }SoC{SainT, Dec 21, 2008.

1. }SoC{SainT

}SoC{SainT Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm not that smart. It's just a title. Anyway, here's a tutorial:

http://fc52.deviantart.com/fs38/f/2008/355...by_socsaint.jpg

The tutorial explains my process of sharpening an image in select areas and reducing noise in others. I haven't really proof-read it... so if you find any problem areas or confusing parts, let me know. I also tried to keep it short, so some areas may be lacking. And the minute detail lost in saving it as a jpeg made a difference in how apparent the differences were, lol.

Also, feel free to ask me or someone else questions here about photography and/or editing.

2. Local

Local Well-Known Member

woo thanks for sharing this.. I've been kind of tweaking my own lately but not that great. this should help. gonna read through it n try it to learn some things thanks for the post =]

kk, read it. learned some things and i acutally realised i was doing somethings right like the high pass. :) didnt think about the others tho. :) learned something there already ^_^

what about doing a b&w? whats the best way? i know u could desaturate but i dunno i dont think that looks as good? maybe play with level's a bit too?

3. dinges

dinges Senior Member

nice little tut
    already use those techniques :P

i usually don't destaturate, I just edit a picture like i usually do, colors, sharpening, blurring, you name it
    then I usually add a white - dark grey gradient map and sharpen the whole thing slightly again ;)

4. }SoC{SainT

}SoC{SainT Well-Known Member

Well, if you already use them, I must be right! Bwahahahaha!! I actually found out about high pass in a tutorial that was written for a completely different reason, but they explained the filter entirely. Did you know that high pass can completely cancel out gaussian blur if the settings are just so?

Desaturating is icky, but CS2 and less don't have the Black and White conversion, so it's all ya got. Use Hue/Saturation and change the master saturation to zero, the mess with the lightness/darkness of all the individual colors. Add contrast this way, but keep it looking natural (for B&W). This is essentially what the Black and White conversion does. You then should mess with curves. With black and white, you generally want to get rid of most mid-tones (grays), have deep blacks, and deep whites. B&W focuses on lighting and luminosity, and so you want as much contrast as possible while still looking realistic.

Anyways, for a black and white conversion to look nice, you have to go in and mess with each individual color, and the mess with the curves. (I only use levels for setting white/black points and color correction)

Also, I'd recommend you fellas have a look at http://dgrin.com and view some tutorials :). The community itself is filled with pr0frigginessional photographers too, so you can ask them for help. They gave me tips on getting a portfolio together :D

5. Papermache

Papermache Well-Known Member

I have never even heard of high pass, will have to check it out when I get home. For black and whites I usually just put a white to black gradient map over it. Then depending on the image I either set another white to black gradient map on top of it on luminosity, soft light or overlay, sometimes darken or multiply. Sometime I mess with curves and such.