Setting Up A Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SyNiKaL v2, Sep 14, 2007.

1. SyNiKaL v2

SyNiKaL v2 Senior Member

Ok I have a wired internet connection and i just bought a laptop along with a wireless router but can't figure out how to hook it up. Theres like 50 cords in the basement so I don't know what to do. Any tips? Walkthrough? Anything

2. Coolguy

Coolguy Well-Known Member

Ok, Im guessing you have Cable as your ISP.. There should be a BLACK modem most likely, where a big round white cord goes in. What you do is, connect the modem, and the router using a ethernet cable. If your not sure where to connect to the router, look at your old router setup, should be a separete jack behind to put it into to. Then, just start your laptop up, and then go to control panel, network connections, and take a look at the wireless connections. If you just bought the laptop, it should work right away, if not, then try to reinstall the drivers. If you want to add a WEP key, go to www.whatismyip.com to find out your ip, then enter it into your browser like this www.IP#.com the username and pass should both be admin and then look around in the settings for WEP security, or something among those lines

3. Watahboi

Watahboi Well-Known Member

If your modem is connected to your desktop, disconnect it and hook it up to your router. Than use another Ethernet cable to go back into your computer. Than on your computer go to the site it tells you to on your modems instructions ( it should be an IP address ) so you can change your settings. If you need help with anything i find that this web site is pretty helpful for routers http://portforward.com/

4. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Much easier to understand with a picture.

I draw bad, sorry. :P

Hope this helps:

[​IMG]

EDIT: Red and blue are ethernet cables.

5. Watahboi

Watahboi Well-Known Member

nice picture never thought of that and its so easy it looks like a caveman can understand it