School...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by justincim, Jan 5, 2009.

1. justincim

justincim Well-Known Member

LOL

sorry, too lazy to get a PICTURE and I'm going to school already anyway... NOOOOO

2. phaeton

phaeton Member

Neutral about school...well, mine in general. Mine has no opportunities for musicians, and push the "staple" jobs and careers, and the faculty are so biased towards those with high grades. On the other hand, people are great there, so why the hell not love that part of school.

3. justincim

justincim Well-Known Member

people suck in my school, at least im transferring next school year lol.

4. kg.

kg. Well-Known Member

I miss school as in years 7-11, compulsory education, had a right laugh sometimes.

Sixth form is complete w*nk, it was ok for the first couple of days or something stupid but now its just a bore. Everyone raved about how it would be the best time of your life etc. just before uni but its turned out to be the stupidest thing I ever done. I cant wait to go to uni but I doubt ill make it when you look how my hatred transforms into my terrible attendance lol.

5. dementia

dementia Well-Known Member

When I went to high school all I could think about is how much better life would be when I got out. I then got expelled and was like *awesome* its off to college now (I had over a 4.0 gpa due to AP classes I took at the local community college at that point, so I just got my GED and went to college) and was like... this is better. I mean, the teachers are more lax, its a lot more personal responsibility which is something I always cherished, but I was also forced to support myself.

Then I got out of school and was like... send me back, and still feel that way. Not so much about college, because college wasn't exactly the time of my life, all I had time for is school, work, homework, food and like 4-6 hours of sleep a day because I did both school and work full time.

After working for 4 years, I still just want to go back to high school. Why? Because once you leave, its true, everything changes. Friends you grew up with since elementary school are now going off to other schools and your ability to maintain a friendship throughout the years goes down the drain. You make new friends, but you are starting fresh, it takes all those years to gain the same trust and reliability in them, and for some people, like me, its extremely hard to find trust in someone else. The biggest difference is having to support yourself. When I was in high school, and even for a good part of college, I thought I had a good idea of what it would be like to support myself, and for the most part I was right, I moved out at first with a girl, etc. and life was simple, we had.... nearly $1,000-1,500 more money than we needed for our budget so money for rent and utilities and that new big screen tv and furniture, etc. was never an issue. Then I moved out on my own, and my whole aspect of how to support myself changed substantially. I now had to actually invest my time into a budget, I have to be careful about what I spend... can I afford that tattoo I want but still be able to pay my bills? Can I go out with friends, pick up a random girl and buy her drinks tonight or do I need the money for rent/bills?

The whole bills part isn't even a big deal. I mean, it seems huge when you are in school, but a lot of it is the small stuff. The fridge is empty, your car is low on gas, you haven't eaten all day and your bank account is dry because your car broke down, you got towed, and you had to pay off your probation in the period of a month and you dont' get paid for 3 more days... These things happen a LOT when you are first starting on your own. Then there are other simple things, making sure to call your friends and family to keep up, for some people this is a normal occurance, for most it's not, and it's very important. Other things like changing your mailing address are very important but seem trivial. For example, I wasn't able to receive mail because my name isn't attached to my current address, my phone was turned off because I don't really value the ability to communicate with my phone, and my probation officer couldn't reach me, so a warrant was put out for my arrest and I had to explain myself in front of a judge. Thankfully, he was understanding, but its those really small, simple things that change your life and thought process dramatically.

Long story short- as of 20 the best time of my life was definitely high school, and while it seems horrible to some people in process and you can't wait to grow up and get out, cherish the moments you have because after high school your whole life changes. Your friends change, your job changes, your life changes, your family changes and most importantly... you change.

6. Killah™

Killah™ Senior Member

I dont mind school, in year 10 now

7. pastapiggy

pastapiggy Well-Known Member

School's awesome, I barely get any sleep (3 hours usually) because I'm taking all AP/Honors classes but I have a 4.5 gpa so it's cool (well actually no but I sleep a lot on the weekends so w/e). I love learning so that's pretty much why I love school; that and hanging out with my friends are why I never miss school (if I don't miss a day this year, it'll be two years without an absence :)).

8. diverseartist

diverseartist Well-Known Member

when your out of a job go to school....the government pretty much pays for everyone who asks for it.

9. Sock

Sock Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that a GPA does not go over 4.0.

Unless you're on the nine point system...?

10. dementia

A lot of schools consider classes which grant college credit to be worth 5 points.

For myself I had something like a 4.54 GPA at the end of my sophomore year as an example.

11. Sock

Sock Well-Known Member

But that's only if you score a 5 on the AP test, right?

Or do you just have to take the class?

12. dementia

Take the class, at least that is how it worked at my school. The final AP test of the year was factored into your base grade.

The traditional scale is A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0, but for a lot of schools AP classes count as A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2, F=1 due to the increased difficulty and increased work load (ap classes taught in high school are FAR more of a burden than actual college classes).

13. Sock

Sock Well-Known Member

Ah.

I'm not exactly the brightest guy... =/

I took World History AP last year, got a three on the test. I'm taking the English Literature AP class now, I"ll probably get a 3 on the test, because I realised this year how poor my english is.

Interesting, though. I don't think many schools up here in Canada do that, though. They'll provide credit, but I don't think they grant the GPA booster.

14. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

I miss School, School times are golden!

15. steez

steez Banned from GR

------ school