S.o.t.w. #48 - Premium Edition - Death

Discussion in 'SOTW Archive' started by Daecu, Jul 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daecu

Daecu Senior Member

Death: 1. The end of life. The cessation of life. (These common definitions of death ultimately depend upon the definition of life, upon which there is no consensus.) 2. The permanent cessation of all vital bodily functions. (This definition depends upon the definition of "vital bodily functions.") See: Vital bodily functions. 3. The common law standard for determining death is the cessation of all vital functions, traditionally demonstrated by "an absence of spontaneous respiratory and cardiac functions." 4. The uniform determination of death. The National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws in 1980 formulated the Uniform Determination of Death Act. It states that: "An individual who has sustained either (1) irreversible cessation of circulatory and respiratory functions, or (2) irreversible cessation of all functions of the entire brain, including the brain stem is dead. A determination of death must be made in accordance with accepted medical standards." This definition was approved by the American Medical Association in 1980 and by the American Bar Association in 1981.

Death is the cessation of the biological functions that define living organisms. It refers both to a specific event and, particularly in humans, to a condition the true nature of which it has for millennia been a central concern of the world's religious traditions to penetrate.[1] Numerous factors can cause death: predation, disease, habitat destruction, senescence, conflict, malnutrition, for example, or mere accidents resulting in terminal physical injury. Principal cause of death in people in developed countries is disease precipitated by aging. The chief concern of medicine has been to postpone and avert death. Precise medical definition of death, however, becomes more problematical, paradoxically, as scientific knowledge and technology advance.

death
    n.
    1. The act of dying; termination of life.
    2. The state of being dead.
    3. The cause of dying: Drugs were the death of him.
    4. A manner of dying: a heroine's death.
    5. often Death A personification of the destroyer of life, usually represented as a skeleton holding a scythe.
    6.a. Bloodshed; murder.
    b. Execution.
    7. Law Civil death.
    8. The termination or extinction of something: the death of imperialism.

If you want to go outside of the box, there are ways to do it that can brilliantly relate to the theme without an explanation. If you think you need to explain your entry, do it in the 5 or 6 words you can fit into the subtext of your tag :/ The definitions are to help anyone lost, I will also add them to the main posts. the last part gives you an idea, if one of those 8 (9) things isn't present in your tag... please rethink your view on the theme. You guys can only take it so far and still claim your being "artistic".

2. nitrx

nitrx Well-Known Member

its not final, i did it to prove a point that half of the people that entered prior to me didnt relate their sig to death basically at all, text saying im dieing or some ---- doesnt really relate it imo.

3. wildsorrow

wildsorrow Well-Known Member

and I thought this theme was easy for you guys to manage...

wow...

-

4. Ryuuji

Ryuuji Senior Member

lol in the sotw theme discussion thread, this theme was chosen because it was supposed to be more simple

5. Hyper Infinity

Hyper Infinity Well-Known Member

We've got a nice mixture of good, theme relating sigs and bad, what-the-hell-does-this-have-to-do-with-death sigs. I'm excited! :0 Can't wait to see what other entries will be, well, entered. xD

6. .Sinister

.Sinister Well-Known Member

Interesting theme...

7. AnythingPink

AnythingPink Well-Known Member

Not really.. In fact the total opposite. I suggested the theme because I wanted to see something new and more challenging. I'm pretty sure some people were getting tired of easy themes. I personally think Sotw competitions should be surprising themes that test a person's ability to work with that theme.

8. wildsorrow

wildsorrow Well-Known Member

I doubt anyone on the site (maybe a couple) are ready to have their critical and artistic thinking challenged.

-

9. nitrx

nitrx Well-Known Member

I changed my entry, the text is on her back, almost like a tattoo.

10. Daecu

Daecu Senior Member

thank you for having a normal comment sinister xD

11. Daecu

Daecu Senior Member

thank you nitrx for being creative but relevant, thats seriously the kind of thing we love seeing in these competitions!

12. nitrx

nitrx Well-Known Member

Thanks daecu:)

i was happy with the outcome

13. Pulse.

Pulse. Well-Known Member

bring them on :tongue:

but yeh sotw needs something fresh not keep on doing final fantasy, tv etc over and over again.

14. midnight

midnight Well-Known Member

ok, nvm about me not entering, i gave it a shot

15. Daecu

Daecu Senior Member

thats the spirit midnight!

edit: no pun intended =_=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.