S.o.t.w. #48 - Premium Edition - Death

Discussion in 'SOTW Archive' started by Daecu, Jul 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nitrx

nitrx Well-Known Member

Some of these dont even relate to death....

Could i just enter my current and make up some bull---- excuse saying that hes trying to escape so he doesnt die?

2. Daecu

Daecu Senior Member

guys please try, even a little bit, to make you're sig represent the themes =_= i know the anime references but just cuz I do doesnt meant everyone does, think about other people looking at it, not just yourself

3. JL Beowolf

JL Beowolf Well-Known Member

ok i understand where ur coming from, but isnt art a way of expressing things your way. i know some entries dont even make sense or barely make sense, but in my case im just going to say kira "the character in the sig" is almost liek the god of death, but in a japenese style way. i no it doesnt look like ive represented death here. but if u look at the symbols, the apple represents the heart. and plus, when u make such a vague theme as death, its really hard to know exactly what your thinking death should represent.

4. KJF

KJF Well-Known Member

Just entered mine, probably won't win :P

5. wildsorrow

wildsorrow Well-Known Member

SOTW isn't art. It is design.
    I don't care about the God of death or japanese styles.

I want to look at a sig and say: "Yes, that is a sig representing death."
    then, I want to ask myself: "Does it represent death better than other sigs?"

You are not making a sig for art critics or highly experienced artists and designers.

At the moment, in my opinion, Tub-a-wub (odd name) and .immortal represents death. The latter being the better :D

-

6. Daecu

Daecu Senior Member

beowulf the typical japanese death god is not Light from Death note, sorry, not even close =_=

And you can only try to use art and expressiveness to defend something like having spiderman relate to death for so long, this is a themed competition. The entries MUST relate to the theme. The competitors cannot expect one of their old tags to relate to the theme every week, 80% of the time it probably won't. Not saying you are, but I'm sure that a lot of you don't make new sigs for the competitions.

7. Neuron

Neuron Senior Member

Daecu, just let them enter if their tags don't relate anyways. Just like you said for the Deadly Sins SOTW, the tags that represent the theme the best will count. When it comes down to the voting stages, it's not like theirs will count.

8. JL Beowolf

yes i no what u mean, but having a theme just named DEATH, doesnt really explain much. R u saying death as in ur dead, death as in tub a wubs entry. i think u ahve to explain more about what ur talking about. given a vague name as death i dont no what ur thinking as death. i no i can easily go pick up a spiderman tag and make up sum bs like i did, but if u feel it doesnt represent death the best then I dont win. and i agree with neuron, if u dont think that i or anyone else has represented the theme properly then we obviously lose. theres no point in telling me mine doesnt represent it, wen i think it does. if it doesnt in ur head, then i wont win. easy as that.

9. Daecu

Daecu Senior Member

Normally people just follow the guidelines and follow the theme, and we vote on the quality of the tag. Its very frustrating when I have to personally ask the rest of the staff to vote first on whether or not competitors actually used the theme, and THEN quality. Its a waste of their time and a waste of mine.

10. wildsorrow

wildsorrow Well-Known Member

If anyone can't look at your sig and see that it represents death. It fails in my opinion.

-

11. JL Beowolf

alright, imma just change my entry anywayz, so im out of this arguement, but if u dont liek the entries now, then just disqualify them now, so u dont have to deal with them later.
    and thats exactly what art is, to figure out what it means. but this comp isnt art, its design. so all of u with different thoughts of death, plz change ur entry.

12. Faith.09

Faith.09 Banned from GR

SexBox.. Holy ------ing ----. Amazing tag man.

13. midnight

midnight Well-Known Member

isnt design a form of art?

14. JL Beowolf

dam pulse thats an awesome entry. good job dude, it looks like u worked hard on it. good luck to everyone else aswell!!

15. Daecu

Daecu Senior Member

I don't want to disqualify people, like i said, I shouldn't have to. The point of THIS competition is not for the judges to have to figure out what your tag is, its for people to submit a tag designed around the theme of that week. I just want to keep this in mind for people because its been so random lately. If the themes are too confusing, tell me, seriously i check the suggestion thread every time there's a new post and we talk about these things. If your not part of the discussion there then when I get your opinions its too late everyone, sorry :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.