Results Of The Iowa Caucus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by White Tiger, Jan 4, 2008.

1. White Tiger

White Tiger Well-Known Member

Well, I am both pleased and disappointed. :mellow: On the upside, Hilary Clinton, my least favorite of the Democrats, came in third place. However, my first choice, Ron Paul, came in fifth with the Republican vote. Ah well, it's just the first caucus. Feel free to discuss:
    • Your Presidential Condidate
    • The Results of the Iowa Caucus
    • Major Political Issues
    • NO FLAMING/HATING

2. Mortified Penguin

Mortified Penguin Senior Member

I am pleased with the results. Obama has done well for himself and he is my candidate. I am hoping he will go all the way...he has got a fairly big support party around America (Bigger than most of the others), although so does Hillary Clinton. I don't think they will honestly put another Clinton in power, that'd be mayhem in my opinion.

3. White Tiger

Well, right now, I am having a hard time not being bias with the Democrats. I am trying to do my research on them, particularly in their plans for foreign policy and economics. From what I have heard from Hilary, I am scared to even consider her due to how liberal she is with things like health care and education, but I am also wondering where she wants to go from withdrawing from Iraq. Ditto with Obama.

EDIT: Now that I have looked at both their policies, I am going to have to go with Obama if it had to be a Democrat. He has a more clear, precise foreign policy (e.g. Israeli-Palestinian talks, NATO assistance) as well as better overall economics IMO.

4. spartan117

spartan117 Senior Member

Yeah, I wish Ron Paul would have placed higher. I want him to win more than anyone else.

I really don't like Hillary Clinton. I'm not even going to go into that.

Huckabee is better than Clinton, but I don't really like him either. He is stupid. He says we should build the border fence with surveillance cameras and get a bunch of border patrol. I agree with the border patrol increase, but the fence is stupid. It isn't even going to cover the entire border. The Mexicans and others who cross that border will just cross in different places. Or they will dig tunnels under like some drug dealers did from Juarez to San Diego a couple years ago. I like most of the steps he's proposing, but he isn't going far enough. Ron Paul's the only with the right idea: end birthright citizenship, and take away their welfare. I live only 100 miles or so from the border, so I see a lot of this immigration. There's other crap I could talk about too, but I'm getting tired.

I think Mitt Romney would have been a better candidate than Huckabee, but the state he's been working on the most is Iowa, and he only got 2nd. I think everyone knows he's a better candidate but they're all scared because of the whole Mormon thing. Mormons are people just like everyone else. Everyone loves Obama because he isn't white, why is it bad that Romney is Mormon?

Obama is really pushing his whole diversity thing. I don't think he's a horrible candidate, but I think the reason everyone likes him is because he's black or whatever mix he is. He has no real experience, and I don't think he has the best stand on the issues, but he's black, and I think that's the main reason he won.

I'm not gonna talk about the other candidates, except for Ron Paul. Ron Paul is a beast. I've read through the issues sections of every candidate's website, and Ron Paul has by far the best stand on every issue. Some of his views seemed kind of weird when I read them, but then once he explains why, I realized that his ideas really are good, even if it's not what I first believed. His problem though is that he isn't campaigning much. Most of his campaign is run by these 20-something year old people from the internet, and I think that the middle-aged people out there are afraid of that. They're afraid that by having the backing of a supposedly much more naive generation, Ron Paul is a questionable guy. Truth be known, I think that Ron Paul is getting these "naive" people active in politics and voting, and I don't think they would have done so if it weren't for Ron Paul. This in itself is amazing, and I think in the end, could really help him because these are people that have never been targeted very well by other candidates and could end up helping him more than everyone thinks. And I hope they really do.

And now I go to bed.

5. Mortified Penguin

Mortified Penguin Senior Member

Love the ending, really a great speech. Spartan for president '16, lol.

6. dementia

dementia Well-Known Member

Just as a heads up, while Bill may have been close to impeachment, he was by far one of the better modern day presidents. Hillary, on the other hand, is not so much towards what I would consider a presidential candidate. I won't go into specifics regarding my issues with her, but I would believe them to be obvious, especially amongst this site.

My top candidates are Ron Paul and Obama, although I doubt Ron Paul will actually be elected unfortunately.

7. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

umm he was impeached...

impeachment is where one is brought up on charges

in this case it was because Clinton committed a a felony or two trying to cover up the whole Lewinsky scandal since he lied under oath multiple times and who knows what else

8. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

I support Ron Paul. I knew that he wouldn't win, however; the results (fifth place out of six candidates for the Republicans, I think?) were expected.

His stances are amazing. He's anti-UN, anti-trade agreement, anti-some foreign body having control over what we do. He's for increasing border patrol (but anti-wall), as well as enforcing laws we have strictly, ending birthright citizenship, and fair immigration reform (the same standards for every country). Anti-federal reserve, anti-spend spend spend. He's a constitutionalist, which is important to me.

However, his name recognition sucks. Sure, the internet is full of Ron Paul supporters, and I see a "Ron Paul 2008" sign here and there, but he needs to get his name out more. Romney, Huckabee, and McCain all do TV ads, they're on the FOX, CNN, ABC, and CBS on occasion with interviews, and people generally know who they are. Very few people know who Ron Paul is. If more people did, there's no doubt in my mind that he would have been in first or second place. Still, ten-twelve percent from a candidate that isn't well known is pretty good.

I was surprised at Obama's win. I thought Hillary would get it. My one problem with Obama is that, while he speaks of "change now," and being a "change agent," and "did I mention change," I can't really find out where he stands on a lot of stuff. I can assume where he stands on several issues, since he's a Democrat, but I haven't seen much real information.

Huckabee won because he's the Christian preacher. Romney lost because he's a Mormon and tried to spend too much money. I don't like either of the two. I don't particularly like the idea of a preacher in the white house, especially one who's only there because of the evangelical vote (those Christians I know are voting for him simply because of the preacher thing, with very little knowledge of where he stands). He seems honest, a people person, whereas Romney seems very detached, like a rich snob. I don't like how Romney assumed that spending a ton of money on something would get him elected.

9. SomeThingCreepy

SomeThingCreepy Well-Known Member

mike huckabee supporters go here: http://www.mikehuckabeeforum.com

...that website scares the bejesus out of me.

I guess from a Democrats point of view, that is exactly who we want to run for president. However, from a republican point of view, I sure hope Ron Paul does better.

Also, it is important to note that 65% of all republicans in the state of Iowa are Evangelical christians so this doesn't scare me, and I can assure you all that what happens in Iowa will not happen in New Hampshire. There's far less evangelical christians, so I'm sure someone like Romney and Thompson will have a view of winning.

Sad to say, Ron Paul does not have a chance to win. I'll still vote for him though!

10. JL Rubidox

JL Rubidox Well-Known Member

I don't like Hilary Clinton. At all.

I do, however like Obama (my favorite Democrat).

I'm still not sure on which Republican is my favorite.

11. White Tiger

I would say that is a big of a negative statement, but it is likely true. :( I'll vote for him, but the media won't even look at him. Despite having a much lower percentage of Iowa voters, Guiliani was able to get more coverage than Ron Paul.

However, one does not need to win to make change. I think that Ron Paul, along with Obama and other candidates, are ending the Era of Terror and starting the Era of Hope in US politics; people are now demanding change in the White House. Personally, I am discouraged; not enough is being done for our foreign policies, particularly with economics and international institutions.