Religion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fluid, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Fluid

Fluid Well-Known Member

FIRST OF THIS IS NOT A ARGUMENT THREAD. IF YOU ARE RELIGIOUS THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR YOU SO PLEASE LEAVE.

Alright, I do not belive in God. I believe that Jesus was a person just not the son of God. I also go to Chruch a few times a year and belive in what they teach (about how to treat life, and the good the good things you should do)

My friend on the other hand is a really serious Christian, and he keeps asking me to explain to him why God isn't real and about evolution and stuff. I try to avoid talking about it as i don't like getting into arguments but i thought i'd ask what you guys think here. Like what are some facts that made you not belive in God? I don't really know how to explain what i'm asking but yea, maybe you can figure it out i'll edit this post later.

2. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

simply explain to him that you believe that life spontaneously arose by means of random chemical reactions which increased a given system's complexity, as opposed to deteriorating the said system as is observed in current conditions, and that this life which arose managed to survive the supposedly horrendously hostile environments in which it was formed. Then explain that such a creation managed to mutate at a rate incomparably faster to the rate at which it was killed off by means of natural selection and that it's progeny some how managed to survive with these mutations(though each strain of progeny had a different propensity towards mutation despite being of the same descent) and that each superseding generation also maintained its propensity to mutate to a great degree while still managing to remain alive AND fertile and as such you believe that ultimately you're the descendant of a creature which had vast similarities to a choanoflagellate.

3. dementia

dementia Well-Known Member

Tell him to prove God exists.

The only thing he can say is that there is a creator, which is a mutual with Scientology explanation. Nothing can become something from nothing, thus something has to have existed before everything else and created it, thus the theory of the big bang, etc. is all a poor explanation.

Science and religion - there is a creator. Past that, every single religion has a specific god, obviously he is referring to God and not a god (note, lack of capitalization). Science can PROVE everything which happened after something blinked into place, religion cannot without utter faith in the subject, thus everything he can state is going to be opinionated.

I do not believe in God, I believe in a god, because to do so is irrational and ignorant, as science cannot prove all.

In the end, I love Karl Marx's quote, "Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand. ". Its a belief designed to give humans the sense of having something to live for during, and after death and used to fill in spaces in questions which they could regularly not understand.

I realize I didn't give a clear cut answer, because if I did your argument with your friend would be dull, as you would be using my beliefs to your benefit, but hopefully it gave you something to think about.

4. Fluid

Fluid Well-Known Member

I said almost the exact same thing to him earlier today =P

And yea that helps, thanks Dementia.

And xlink did you type that all yourself? If so congrats, i'll use that exact paragraph for one of my history essays i have to do tonight lol

5. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

I would highly advise you to read it for understanding before quoting it. VERY highly. Though yes, that was written in a manner much similar to how I write if I need to write and essay - with a lot of passive tense referencing and very precise wording to accommodate for such.
    and yes, I wrote all of such myself.
    and yes, I used A LOT of polysyllabic words.

6. XxCarbinexX

XxCarbinexX Well-Known Member

Even if this thread is not supposed to be argumentative, in the long run it will be, and thus be closed.

And I'm a Catholic and posting in here. Haha I broke teh rules.

7. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Why bother this question. People don't like to think that everything they were raised to believe and follow is nothing but a greatly misconstrued and misunderstood concept which has no basis in the divine or infernal, as many would believe. Many, if not all, of the oldest human cultures, which religion was derived from believed not in that the world was created by a God, but rather that life needed balance, discipline and many other things. God is not real, no matter how you look at it, and I'm certainly not gambling away the sins I can make during my life in the slight, slight, statistcal anomaly of a chance that there is an afterlife which will directly reflect on how I lived my life. Utter bullsh*t, it is. Faith is where one closes their eyes and their minds and see's what they want to be true. I like to take a more Clairvoyent approach and keep my mind open. If some scientist offers up proof, or at least, an argument that is more logically and scientifically likely than the typical atheist approach, then I'd most likely convert to whatever religion that follows. I would not consider it, however, faith.

8. Nasuul

Nasuul Well-Known Member

The moment i lost all faith was when i walked through a village ravaged by militants on a pacific island. The villagers had been massacred a few days earlyier. Shot, gutted and hacked to peices. All because of different religious beleifs. They stuck to the old traditions and defied the government.

What parent allows his children to dismember each other in his name?

If such a god exists then he is a barstard and i would rather burn for eternity.

I am atheist, but i am also spiritual. i beleive their is more to life than what we can see. Hell i have even experienced the paranormal. But some omnipotent being controlling our destiny? No. Just the product of mortal greed and fear of death.

9. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

Or you could just use the George Carlin argument.

"Religion is amazing. It is the one thing in the world that has convinced humans that there is an invisible man. And this invisible man has a list of ten things that he wants you not to do. Imagine that. And he needs your money. He created the universe, but he needs your money to reveal himself to more people."