Religion In Music

Discussion in 'Movies' started by White Tiger, Mar 30, 2008.

1. White Tiger

White Tiger Well-Known Member

I was listening to my iPod today and I hit a mental wall when I asked myself "Does religious context truly chance the way one feels about music?" and begin to take into consideration that a lot of music, whether solely religious or just referencing religion, uses mentions of G-d and Jesus and such. Some examples for me are rock groups like Payable on Death (P.O.D. as their are more known as) and some rappers like Mat Kearney. Personally, it doesn't bother me so much, as they can make good music either way, but I do notice every so often. How about you guys?

2. DarthSomething

DarthSomething Well-Known Member

POD is a Christian band that is in the secular wave. Most don't realize that though. ^_^

I think lyrics and religion in music really changes how I personally view music and how music effects me. I try not to listen to anything with a lot of cussing, drug references, and sexual themes. Clean and upbeat messages are how I roll on a normal basis, and if I'm worshiping, I listen to Christian worship bands like Tree63 or similar to that.

As a whole, I'm not into rap/hip-hop/pop music. I don't really like the way it sounds. I'm more an indie rock fan because it's normally got a deeper message to it.

3. Kiyaa

Kiyaa Well-Known Member

I've never been religious so it doesn't really affect me. Because of that, I never have and probably never will get into music that has a religious meaning because I frankly don't understand it. :P Religious music doesn't really change my views on anything.

4. lykos

lykos Senior Member

Same but instead of not religous im agnostic so meh whatever.

5. bluefalcon_ad

bluefalcon_ad Well-Known Member

Going to bold this to make sure this statement is noticable:
    Rock music owes itself to gospel.

However, just because it owes itself to Gospel music, that doesn't mean Christian music is good. Gospel and Christian music can be two separate things, anyways.

Therefore, it shouldn't change the way one feels about the music they listen to. Why?

Have you ever really taken a nice look at Christian music? It's just like the same, tired out, drowned out, modern rock music you hear on the radio with the praising of God. It's just like the same pop radio music you hear on the radio, if you don't want to talk about rock. Oh, and have you ever noticed the ever so ironic Christian METALCORE? It's not just one tired out genre with religious praising, it's TWO tired out, worn out, repetitive genres with religious praising. Now isn't that just absolutely WONDERFUL?

Honestly, as a Christian, I simply do not like Christian music. As Sufjan Stevens once said, media isn't a place for theological discussions. Hey, and if it is, well, at least create worthwhile music.

6. SanAndre

SanAndre New Member

I don't mind it either way.
    As long as it sounds good , I'll listen to it.. doesn't have to mean anything at all.

7. Fallen

Fallen Senior Member

Honestly, I like a couple Christian bands, but most are... yeah.

Thousand foot krutch
    Hawk Nelson

Both really talented christian bands.