Rar

Discussion in 'Camera Drawn' started by Local, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Local

Local Well-Known Member

2. Papermache

Papermache Well-Known Member

Took me a second to realize what was happening in the second one. Not a very nice picture (IMO, no offense) but cool effects. I am a person who appreciates effect shots, I also realize that lots of them turn out horribly. First one is cool. I still don't understand the color topic, are we allowed to use more than ONE color?

3. Local

Local Well-Known Member

yeh the 2nd is kinda boring... and I dont know either.. im confused lol. I even asked questions about it.

4. }SoC{SainT

}SoC{SainT Well-Known Member

I'll explain, since it was my idea:

Your subject is colors. This means that you're not focusing necessarily on what is physically in the picture, but the colors of it. You could have it so everything is grayscale except one color, you could have it so the entire picture is mostly just one color, or you can use multiple colors. You're taking pictures of colors. It might be surreal or abstract, or it might not be.

One of the reason I included a variety of color in my entry was to point out that it doesn't have to be one color (and it was a cool photo anyway).
    http://socsaint.deviantart.com/art/Color-108796216

Notice how I wasn't focusing on what you might assume was the subject. Instead, I was focusing on the colors being cast. This is a vivid take on the theme. Just as that one is vivid, this photo only has one color variant:
    http://socsaint.deviantart.com/art/Abandoned-106905587
    I doubt it would win though ;). But that could be entered as color too. Fruit is great for color, as are art supplies, as Local is working with.

The theme is ambiguous. As long as your photo is somehow focusing more on color than other things, it works. You could have a grayscale photo of a woman standing in the rain at night while holding something, and that something could be blue to show depression or red to show warmth and be the only splash of color in the entire photo. It works, because you're focusing on that one color.

Hey Local, when you edit your photos, are you copying and pasting them into a separate canvas ever? They never have the metadata included, and it always drives me nuts when I can't see someone's metadata (which, by the way, is how deviantART knows your camera model, shutter speed, ISO, aperture, and date when you upload something onto it). Anyways, it looks like you're either adding a twinge too much contrast, which could be related to monitor calibration (I'm still trying to get mine exact, but it's close). And your focus is a bit soft... did you use some intense noise reduction here? There's not a single sharp point, when there really should be.

Neat concepts :). You might be able to get the last one to pan out better if you try it a few more times. Sometimes it helps to draw/envision what you want to do beforehand. The top one is great except for the soft focus :). Has a nice studio look to it.

5. Local

Local Well-Known Member

6. }SoC{SainT

}SoC{SainT Well-Known Member

Crop tool is handy :). When you've made your selection, in the options bar you'll see that your opts changed. Click "hide", and that way you won't lose any detail and can wiggle it around in the canvas. Essentially, when you select hide, you're only resizing the canvas, and not the document.

I see what you're trying to do with your pictures. You might have to play around with lighting a bit to get it so that the crayons are pretty much all we see. I typically use lamps around the house :). Everyone always knows when I got bored and pulled my camera out because there's lamps all over the floor or who knows where :rolleyes:

7. Papermache

Papermache Well-Known Member

I have had an awesome idea for my color picture since I saw the topic but it is an extremely complex and hard shot. I think I just found an easier one :).