Ramadan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by meda, Sep 9, 2007.

1. meda

meda Well-Known Member

ok before i start this isn't meant to cause trouble. If you are not muslim and have questions or some form of criticism go ahead, i did this last year to inform a lot of people and help them understand. sooo....who's ready to fast? its gonna be tough this year for me cause of football season,

2. ALANcrosa

ALANcrosa Senior Member

i know this is kind of rude, but i always wanted to ask this:

i was walking around downtown, and there were some idiotic teenagers screwing around. I noticed a muslum woman walking by with the cloth over her head ( i dont know hwo you call it). well, the morons saw hew and ran by her, flipping the 'cloth' off of her head. she started muttering something then putting it back on. as she was saying whatever she was saying, i noticed she looked embarrassed and scared. i was wondering why she was doing that (because a god, idk).

i looked around but didnt find any info.... sorry if this is offensive :(

3. Sheik

Sheik Well-Known Member

Good luck bud o_O. Fasting + Football.. Phew

4. Genes.Buffet

Genes.Buffet Well-Known Member

I do know people who fast. In fact, the Muslim stall in my school's canteen closed during this whole duration of Ramadan.

5. .ArctiC.

.ArctiC. Well-Known Member

it aint offensive to ask but it doesnt have to do with Ramadan either. lol. anyway, it's because a muslim girl cannot show he hair. it's call aurat. basically it's body parts that cannot be shown to anybody (except their husband, siblings, parents, other girls). a girls aurat is everything except her face and the palm of her hands. for guys, it's between their waist and their knees. it may seem unfair but it's actually for the girls protection. and most girls don't mind covering it up.
    honestly speaking, they're sexier that way. adds a kind of allure. hehehe

oh snap. i forgot we were talkin about Ramdan. yeah bring it on. im ready to shred all this weight. gonna buy a fridge coz the nearest place to eat is like a kilometer or 2 away and i cant walk that far (leg problem).

6. Flower Of The Court

Flower Of The Court Well-Known Member

Omg, I can't wait for the month of Ramadhan to start. Everytime when the fasting is finished for the day, my mother'll serve delicious dishes. :9

Oh yeah, I also can't wait for the awesome Hari Raya. <3333

7. .ArctiC.

ooo yeah. Hari Raya ftw. pity this year we're not Balik kampung cos my dad got to go to korea the next day

(sry if you dont get this. it's a malaysian thing)

8. [.BC.] .Sacrifice

[.BC.] .Sacrifice Banned from GR

I personally think that the ramadan is useless and therefore worthless.

9. meda

meda Well-Known Member

ok sacrifice then you dont understand because ramadan is the last thing from useless it teaches you sooo many things. Ramadan first and foremost teaches u self control not eating, smoking, drinking, or haveing sex for a few hours wont kill you, but some people act like it would. Also ramadan teaches u dicipline because u have to learn to control everything in your body wither its your hormones or your apatite. Also it teaches you the lives of those less fortunate who cant eat all the time or buy anything whenever they want it.

And AlanCrosa im assuming she just had the head dress on just having that on is actually called hijab. Hijab has a multiple purposes. First off dont think these women are forced to wear it like the media likes to show, actually in the koran (the holy book of islam) it clearly says that to wear that is a decision between you and god, no other person can make it for you. Its purpose is to cover you and therefor get less attention. some women with it on you cant tell if thier beautiful or unappealing so that reduces the sexual thoughts you may have. Women wear it because they dont want attention and its kind of a little insentive for guys to propose to a girl they like so they can see thier hair and truly see how their wife looks (only after marraige)

10. Flower Of The Court

Flower Of The Court Well-Known Member

Lol, that's too bad. I want to go back to Sabah, but my parent's having business here in Kuching. :P

@ Sac: Then don't post here. :(

11. [.BC.] .Sacrifice

[.BC.] .Sacrifice Banned from GR

Why would I go and prohibite myself for some odd (religious?) reason to eat and drink? I don't have to get disipline and self control by prohibiting myself to eat and drink, there are more ways, and this one is just not the option i'd choose.

12. XxCarbinexX

XxCarbinexX Well-Known Member

Yes it is a religious thing, for Muslims actually.

But what is on my mind is that GR can be contradicting at times. For example, if I were to make a thread about something that us Catholics do every year as a tradition, such as not eating meat on Good Friday, it would turn into a flame war. BUT since a muslim makes a thread about their tradition, they're able to get away with more things. Not trying to be offensive or spam your thread, Meda. That has just been itching at the back of my mind for a while.

13. .ArctiC.

i just stay out of topics concerning religion. people should put tags on their topics like [religious] so those that would start a flame war would just stay out. would give mods less headaches.

i post in this one of course cos i am so looking forward to it. fyi, it's the holiest month in the Muslim calender and all you good deeds are amplified.

14. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

Yes it is a religious thing, for Muslims actually.

But what is on my mind is that GR can be contradicting at times. For example, if I were to make a thread about something that us Catholics do every year as a tradition, such as not eating meat on Good Friday, it would turn into a flame war. BUT since a muslim makes a thread about their tradition, they're able to get away with more things. Not trying to be offensive or spam your thread, Meda. That has just been itching at the back of my mind for a while.
    [/b][/quote]

i just stay out of topics concerning religion. people should put tags on their topics like [religious] so those that would start a flame war would just stay out. would give mods less headaches.

i post in this one of course cos i am so looking forward to it. fyi, it's the holiest month in the Muslim calender and all you good deeds are amplified.
    [/b][/quote]

You honestly think that would work? If anything, it would just attract more idiots.

As for Ramadan, here's a question I've got:

If God is saving people through his mercy, righteousness, justice, etc. etc. etc., why does it matter whether or not you do good works throughout your life? Also, why is it that good works done during Ramadan are somehow better than others?

15. meda

meda Well-Known Member

ok first of god is saving people through mercy, righteousness etc.. but which people is he saving? we dont beleive hes doing that to everyone, we beleive that he will be merciful to those who obeyed him, to those who knew right from wrong. If you wanna go to heaven we beleive you have to earn it its like anything in the world now. Lets say u wanna go to the Bahamas, to go there u gonna have to work for it extra hard to get the money and go, if not have fun in it work (hell). And for your second question Ramadan is the holyest month because its the month that the quran first came down to muhammed and he actually got to read the words of god from the actuall book (before he'd memorize them by repeating them with Gabriel) We glorify this month (on the muslim Calender) because its when our religion basically began and god believed that man kind was ready for it