Ram Question

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Joe, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Right now I have 2 gigs of RAM but I never really go over 1.5 gigs. My question is if I added another gig of RAM would I notice any difference in the speed of my computer since I never go over 1.5 gig anyway?

2. iSav

iSav Well-Known Member

You wont notice it. Make sure you have your pagefile turned off.

3. .jrauck

.jrauck Well-Known Member

If you bought faster ram im sure it would help... im not sure about buying more ram, but i dont think it would help if it was the same speed.

4. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

buying faster RAM generally doesn't help that much. Most memory caching occurs within the CPUs cache.

EG: going from 1mb cache on a CPU to 4MB will net a far greater impact than going from DDR2-1000 to DDR3-2000 at the same latency.
    as it is memory is still dang slow compared to embedded onchip cache and accessing the memory is further restricted as it all has to go through an external memory controller and then through an narrow system bus and all that slows down memory access itself regardless of the memory itself.

that said, if you're not using your current RAM more won't really do much good. I personally don't note much of an improvement going from 2GB to 4GB, even in memory hungry vista. Though most OSes tend to be a bit more aggressive with RAM when you have more...
    If you find RAM on sale cheep though(I've seen 2GB micron D9 for $40 or so and that's th god stuff as far as performance/overclocking goes) go ahead as it won't get much cheaper

5. .jrauck

.jrauck Well-Known Member

I would suggest listen to xlink... he helped me with my pc and it turned out great. :D