Protein

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Hey I was wondering a few things about protein. I'm trying to gain muscle (because I am small and I want to get bigger). Ok so my first question is what does it do? Does it build muscle? burn fat? do something else too? Another question is, does it make a difference when you eat protein? Like will it have a greater effect if you eat it right after you work out or something? And my last question is how much proteinn should I eat per day? Right now I'm eating/drinking about 40 grams per day. Is that good?

2. Anti-Hero

Anti-Hero Well-Known Member

best of if you google it :) my mate is huge and he lives on Turkey fillets and milkshakes he eats like 6 fillets a day

3. little_freak

little_freak Well-Known Member

eat a lot of chiken

it helps give back up energy to ur mucles so when u do exercise u can do it for longer and btw body builders use steroids

4. DoomedKiller

DoomedKiller Well-Known Member

5. DiabloDj1

DiabloDj1 Well-Known Member

Make sure you get a good workout going.
    You also need carbs for energy.
    A good bodyfat for male athletes is about 13-17% I believe.

All taken from here:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maribel4.htm

Try checkin out the carbs section also.

How much protein per day?
    Read second time CCS talks:
    http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com/arti...tion/protein_2/

Ehow To Eat Right:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4232_eat-fitness-program.html

ehow to exercises:
    http://www.ehow.com/list_1036.html

How much do you weigh? Water is imporant..
    at 150 lbs. I drink 4 bottles of water a day, thats at least 68oz.
    I should be having 2 more..hmm

6. BeatdownT

BeatdownT Well-Known Member

meat has lots of protein so do bugs, lol, and fish believe it or not

7. dementia

dementia Well-Known Member

Protein is a replacement for carbs DDJ1.

They both are purely there for energy renewel, protein requires less food intake for greater energy output.

Basically the reason you use protein over carbs is because carbs require more intake for the same output of energy of a lower amount of protein. Therefore using protein over carbs allows you to in-take less food (which means there is less to burn off) on top of giving you more energy to work out longer. Its like a two-fold of carbs.

8. Boxiom

Boxiom Well-Known Member

Some foods can be turned into energry which is turned into meat(aka muscles) if you work hard

When you make up
    Drink a can of V8(tomato juice) and have something like a power bar or something

Theen lunch and diner eat healthy and work out EVERY day.
    Strength training :)

9. little_freak

also glucose is good
    its basicly startch

eat rice to get glucose and to prove that it has sugar take a peice of bread or rice and chew it for a while it will start to taste sweet

thats u breaking sown startch into glucose

and im only 13
    :P :lol: :rofl:

10. DiabloDj1

You dont have to work out everyday, at least not to start off. You may get too tired and you need to give your muscles time to recover. You can try doing like biceps & back day 1, triceps & chest day 2, and legs and shoulders day 3. Then run in between if you want..thats my schedule so far at least xD

11. little_freak

did u know that just regular movement can build up mucle at first

12. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

protein helps your body cary out a lot of functions. If you don't drink a ----load of water though it's hard on the liver.

if you're ane ctomorph(characterized by a small bone structure and a fast metabolism) you need a ----load of protein.

unless you are on steroids that is not adviseable, if you put in high intensity workouts your muscle fiber will be damaged faster than it can repair if you hit the weights each day. if you're on a split routine, wait atleast a 2 or 3 days before using the same muscle again. if you are on HIT(which uses few sets hence less muscular damage) wait atleast one day.

13. DiabloDj1

Matters what regular movement is...
    Clicking the remote..
    not gonna work..

doing labor work may help...digging holes randomly in your backyard?....

But yea, you wont see anyone getting too muscular from day to day activities. Nothing impressive.......

I have a very fast metabolism...
    Does that mean I need to?...shucks..
    idk how my bone structure is...how should I figure that out o.o

I'mma have a protein shake now...23grams of protein free, yay.

14. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Well-Known Member

LoL...crash course in biochemistry.

CARBOHYDRATES
    These would be your sugars, starches, and the like. Simple carbs, such as table sugar, are instant-use energy. The body will turn to them first when it requires energy. Complex carbs, such as starches found in pasta and bread, are stored. They will be called on when the body is experiencing rigorous and/or lengthy work. As a result, carbs tend to disappear much faster when working out or on a diet, since the body turns to them before anything else.

LIPIDS
    These are any and all kinds of fats. Included in this category are animal fat, oil, grease, shortening, et cetera. Lipids are chemically much more complex than carbs, and are much harder to break down. So, the body will store them as a last resort, in the event that all the carb stores are depleted. Lipids also insulate heat and offer some form of protection, which is also why the body tends not to want to burn them. Lipids will only be burned after 30 minutes of stressful workout, which is defined by your heart rate being at 60-80% of its maximum.

PROTEIN
    These are, more or less, the building blocks of your body. All bodily structures [except fat, of course] are made of protein. The concentration of protein differs with each cell, of course. Muscle cells have the most protein. Proteins are used in many ways, including immunity, transport, structure, movement, and regulation. Hormones such as testosterone and epinephrine are glycoproteins. Proteins can be found in almost any natural food, and there is no such thing as a "bad" protein.

The main reason bodybuilders tend to eat protein bars and protein shakes is because protein is the primary component of muscle cells. As a result, the more protein you have, the more a muscle can build. Of course, you need both ends for the system to work. You cannot just eat protein bars or just lift weights. You need both. Typically, a person will get enough protein from their daily meals to satisfy the body's protein requirements. But, professional bodybuilders, for obvious reasons, consume protein at a much faster rate. So, they need additional supplements.

I hope that helped ;)

15. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

a simplete test is to just just put your hand around your wrist, the farther yout hand goes the smaller your bone structure. forexample, my finger nearly touches my joint and overlaps my fingernail, my metabolism is insanely fast. average is just barely being able to touch, and a large bone strucure is typically unable to touch all the way around. people with smaller bone structures are typically ectomorphs and have higher T3 levels which constantly leaves their bodies leaning towards catabolism(where protein is digested to fuel the body, be it from yoru muscles or from food) if you're going all out for gains, and you are an ecto morph overdose on protein(1.2-2.0grams per lb you weight each day) and eat moderate saturated fats(they are easily converted to fat, but put your body towards anabolism where muscle is formed)

one thing I suggest esp if you are an ecto morph liek myself is to each a moderate amount of sugar shortly before lifting because your glucose levels will drop as you lit as that stored sugar is used up for energy.

as for doing day labor, it will help at first, but if you are lifting it is probabl more harmful than helpful as it damages already worn muscle fibers yet it doesn't overload them enough for your body to want to produce MORE muscle(the principal of overload is a predominent theory which suggests that your body responds to muscular stress by producing more muscle.)

also most protein shakes are overpriced crap, just eat caned tuna or turkey. one can of tun ahas up to 20g of protein to 1g of unsaturated fat. same applies to turkey and chicken.