Prosecutor Details Rape That Lasted 19 Hours

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cheatsmaster, Jun 9, 2008.

1. cheatsmaster

cheatsmaster Gotta Catch 'Em All!

The time crept by so slowly and painfully that the 23-year-old Columbia University journalism student had decided it was time to end her life.

Over many torturous hours, she had been repeatedly raped, sodomized and forced to perform oral sex, a prosecutor told a jury on Thursday. The accused, Robert A. Williams, 31, had doused the woman’s face and body with boiling water and bleach, forced her to swallow handfuls of pills and to chase them with beer, sealed her mouth with glue, and bound her wrists and legs with shoelaces, cords and duct tape, said the prosecutor, Ann P. Prunty. And now, Ms. Prunty said, he was asking the woman to gouge out her own eyes with a pair of scissors.

And so the woman, sitting on the floor of her studio apartment in Hamilton Heights and holding a pair of scissors between her knees — the blade pointing toward her face — tried to stop the suffering. She lowered her face to the blade, but turned her head at the last moment, trying to stab herself in the neck instead of her eyes.

The scissors slipped from her grasp, the suicide attempt failed, and the woman suffered several more hours of torture, Ms. Prunty said.

The woman survived the nearly 19-hour ordeal, which ended, Ms. Prunty said, when she used a fire started by Mr. Williams to burn the cords that secured her wrists to a futon.

Mr. Williams went on trial Thursday in State Supreme Court in Manhattan, where he faces 71 criminal counts, including attempted murder, rape, arson and assault. If convicted, he could spend the rest of his life in prison.

Mr. Williams, who was homeless at the time of his arrest about a week later at the scene of a burglary in Queens, has a lengthy police record dating to his childhood, the authorities have said.

He was charged in a murder as a juvenile, though the outcome of that case is sealed, a law enforcement official said, and he spent eight years in prison for an attempted-murder conviction in 1996.

The prosecution began presenting its case with Ms. Prunty’s vivid, step-by-step account of the attack, which she said began about 10 p.m. on April 13, 2007, and lasted until 4 p.m. the following afternoon. Mr. Williams’s lawyer, Arnold J. Levine, did not make an opening statement. Outside the courtroom, Mr. Levine declined to talk about his strategy. In hearings before the trial, he seemed to indicate that he would challenge witnesses’ identification of his client.

The victim and several witnesses in the six-story apartment building where the woman lived picked out Mr. Williams from lineups, Ms. Prunty said. She said that DNA evidence also linked him to the crime.

Justice Carol Berkman, who is presiding over the trial, found in October that Mr. Williams was mentally fit for trial. After that decision, Mr. Levine said he was considering a mental illness defense.

As Ms. Prunty delivered her opening statement, Mr. Williams sat slouched in his chair, with his head tilted downward.

On the night of the attack, the victim, a month from graduating with a master’s degree, was at Columbia, putting the final touches on her résumé for a job fair the next day, Ms. Prunty said. When she arrived at her apartment building, she got on the elevator and found Mr. Williams inside, Ms. Prunty said. She rode with him to her floor, and could hear him follow her as she navigated the long L-shaped hallway to her apartment.

As the woman entered her apartment, Ms. Prunty said, Mr. Williams asked her if she knew where a Mrs. Evans lived. The woman stopped to answer.

“Her kind moment of hesitation would cost her,” Ms. Prunty said.

Mr. Williams forced his way into the apartment, Ms. Prunty said, put the woman in a chokehold, and slapped her cellphone from her hand. Mr. Williams slammed the door behind him, and “her Friday the 13th nightmare began,” Ms. Prunty said.

Mr. Williams turned a clock by the woman’s bed to the wall and made her take off her watch so she would not know what time it was, Ms. Prunty said. He raped her repeatedly and cut her hair because “he wanted to see her face, her fear and humiliation.”

He made her sit in her bathtub, and that was the first time he told her to gouge her eyes, Ms. Prunty said. He punished her for refusing by boiling water in a kettle and throwing it on her, the prosecutor said. The water jolted her so much that she broke through the bonds on her wrist, Ms. Prunty said, as the skin on her chest, torso and thighs blistered. (On hearing this detail, one of the jurors shook his head and covered his mouth.)

“Just kill me! Just kill me!” the woman pleaded, Ms. Prunty said.

Later, after her failed attempt to kill herself with the scissors, Mr. Williams threw a heavy object at the back of her head, cracking her skull, Ms. Prunty said.

Mr. Williams was intent on damaging her vision because, Ms. Prunty said, “a blind witness could never identify her attacker.”

Mr. Williams eventually slit the woman’s eyelids and face with a butcher knife, Ms. Prunty said, but she did not lose her vision. He fastened her legs and arms to a futon, and she lost consciousness.

When she awoke, she again pleaded for him to kill her, but heard no response. He was gone.

Mr. Williams “only stopped when he could no longer feel the scourge of control over another human being,” Ms. Prunty said.

The woman smelled smoke, Ms. Prunty said, so she wriggled her legs free and pulled the futon away from the wall. She used the fire to free her arms, Ms. Prunty said, and then ran through the smoke to her door. It took her several attempts to open it because her hands were limp and numb, Ms. Prunty said.

The woman ran through her hallway seeking help, Ms. Prunty said, “an image of the walking, living dead.”

Source:

Code:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/06/nyregion/06rape.html?ex=1370491200&en=bc60cf51266f5a15&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

2. Realsies

Realsies Guest

serious ----...I hope the guy gets ass raped in prison

3. dementia

dementia Well-Known Member

I would say something, but anyone who knows me would know what I would say, so I will just say... 'hmm'

4. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

he's jealous.

5. XxCarbinexX

XxCarbinexX Well-Known Member

Hard to believe people can do this to eachother.

6. -DawG-

-DawG- Well-Known Member

Thats one sick ------.. damn this made me sick

7. dementia

Meh, there are a lot of fetishes and stipulations which provide a means to human climax (and no, thats not just orgasm). For most people, its simply interaction, for others like myself it can go much deeper into SnM, and for other people it can be sadistic and demeaning things such as rape, killing animals, beating women, child molestation, etc. I would say I have sympathy, but I would be lying, being that I was sexually molested for 4 years by my best friends older brother from the ages of 6 to 10, and what was the stats... nearly 1 in 10 women have been sexually molested. Yes, btw, my best friends older brother was arrested, however not until he was found molesting children in a local amusement park (Six Flags Magic Mountain in LA).

Another thing to remember is that most sexual assault cases are brought on by the actions of the assailants youth and themselves being incapable of coping with the trauma and thus generally re-enacting it as a form of safety and familiarity. Those people who generally beat, kill, rape, etc. are generally shown that kind of behavior as a young individual and it grows on them. More likely then not this guy went through the same or similar things when he was a child and this is his way of re-enacting the trauma to make himself feel comfortable, which would also explain his long list of crimes associated to similar things.

Best not to judge someone by their cover, there is nearly always reasoning and psychology behind stuff like this. Sure, its a horrible thing, and its sad to say, but its a common thing as well. She should consider herself to be one of the lucky ones. She lived, and her assailant is in jail, most don't even get that privilege.

8. dalecyt

dalecyt Well-Known Member

------ me how the hell can people do that to each other

i hope some one tortures ------ out of him

9. AlexIsUb3r

AlexIsUb3r Well-Known Member

thats so sick

Reading that really filled me up with hate....
    i wouldn't mind seeing that guy getting pieces of his body slowly being sliced off with a knife.

this ---- is like SAW or something, not human.

------ing ANIMALS

10. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

most people didn't go through the trauma of having their eyelids slit...

11. AlexIsUb3r

and boiling water poured all over their bodies, this is way worse.

torture is what it is.

12. AG Mountaineer

AG Mountaineer Well-Known Member

Being a fan of the "eye for an eye" treatment, I say they lock him in solitary confinement, pour boiling water on him whenever he begins to fall asleep, and leave only one thing in his room, a pair of scissors. Let the ------ feel a bit of what she felt.

13. dementia

I would take torture and living any day so long as my balls remained in tact and usable. Eyelids can be stiched and healed, third degree burns go away and considering it was of no mass muscle tissue won't even need much work. Sure, she'll look deformed, but meh. Life > death, even for a victim of sexual assault.

14. zzapper

zzapper Well-Known Member

That guy doesn't deserve death penalty, he should suffer in jail.

15. AlexIsUb3r

jail is cake for this guy im sure. They need to send him work mines in Africa or Siberia, until he gonna turn into fking anorexic scum and die in accidental blast