Programming Class

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by travmanx, May 6, 2008.

1. travmanx

travmanx Senior Member

OK, next semester I have to take a programming class out of C++ or Java, which do you think is the easiest and why? I will have to take both of them before I grad college but which do yoou think is the one I should start with.

I am very very slightly familar with both, prob more with java but nothing special, like I don't know any imports and stuff...

I am a PHP programming and after looking at designs done with C++ and Java, I would say Java resembles it the best, but my computer teacher this semester said C++ would be the best route for someone starting out... Tho I've heard differently

2. PhanE

PhanE Well-Known Member

C++ is definitely hard but i think its the most useful. if i'm not mistaken you can use it to create keyloggers and such but im not 100% sure.

3. travmanx

travmanx Senior Member

Lol any computer base programming language is capable of that... Cobal, Python, C, C++, VB, Ruby, ect... Hell even Flash and JS will perform as one to a cretain extent.

I don't need to know the most useful, I'm at college for Web Devolpment and probably never touch this again.

Thanks tho

4. Slight

Slight Senior Member

they both difficult languages and they are both used a lot in diff ways.. but if you are in school for web development wont you put a better use to java rather than c++?

5. Prince Zainx

Prince Zainx The Dark Prince

For me Java is a piece of cake .. in a way :)

I would go with Java as it is commonly used and when you transfer back to C++ it will be easier for you
    or
    You can start with C++ which is the background of Java and then move onto the code writing,
    Not much difference in both, I am taking C++ and Java at this moment, but as far as I know I don't have any problems in it...

So you can also take them both simultaneously which is better in a way but you will have to do twice the work and almost same type of work
    In C++ we move fast and almost covered everything in that we learned in Java so far, in about 5 weeks of class (meets 2 days a week)

So go either way
    They both are nice languages and used ...
    They are also interchangeable

:)
    -Z

6. SomeSaySTiCk

SomeSaySTiCk Well-Known Member

I've never taken C++ ,but last semester I had a java class and for the most part it very simple.

7. King Damager

King Damager Well-Known Member

I think it depends where you want to go, Java is deifnitely easier, but I think C++ CAN set you up for a good basis for programming other languages, however if you're doing mainly website design java is probably a lot more useful.

So it's really decides what you want it for, but if you need to do both it's probably best to follow your professors idea.

8. .ZERO

.ZERO Nigga wit a PSD

Wait, aren't they the options for Computer science III?

If your more web orientated java
    If you want your fingers in all pies c++

9. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

java is probably the easiest if you're looking to learn.

both are pretty damn similar though.

also if you learn C++ first you'll probably develop better programming habits.

10. AlexIsUb3r

AlexIsUb3r Well-Known Member

programming languages are not easy, prepare to spend a lot of time practicing and memorizing.

11. AKW

AKW Senior Member

Yes, all forms of scripting use the basics normally so if you learn one you can go from one to another. So don't worry about which you choose but you need to go with the one the YOU WANT because frankly no one will be able to tell you anything to change you or persuade you either way because if it is a starting out class you will learn the basics. I personally would go for the C++ if you are wanting to go more software based and java if you want more server/web based. Obviously that's self explanitory but I am just pointing out the obvious. You need to do what you want to do because it will ultimately just be that. They both will be new to you and that's ALWAYS good. Having a clean slate is easier than having one you must erase before starting. So just go to the one you will want to use more. You will learn both (in concept) anyways.

Make sure you understand how to count and do algorithms. Erm... you need to know how to comprehend variables and furthermore... arrays.

It is not hard to learn the basics of scripting and when you know that, nothing is hard. So if you don't think of it as being hard it wont be. It is all a big mind game. I learned how to do C and it was nothing IMO. So keep headstrong.

12. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

more than me, I just know a bit of javascript(think dumbed down Java) and VBA(think easiest scripting language ever). When i was 13 I thought I'd become a programmer but I grew away from it. going for the economist route now.
    but it really depends on you.

AKW basically just laid it out.Java is cross platform(in theory C++ is too but OS dependencies and per OS optimizations kind of do away with that) but less efficient. C++ is more or less the standard for everything non-web now.

both are very similar. when Sun went to make JAVA, they intended it to be "C++ --" or a more simple form of C++ which is slightly more lax. that said you should NOT be lax when you're learning especially if this si your career of choice. don't mix up capitalization in variables, and practice good syntax.

13. Bleak

Bleak Well-Known Member

Depending on what type of C++ you are learning... If you are going to be console programs, then it will be a little hard to make a transition from C++ to Java.

I started out with C++ which was really simple; I think the only reason we had trouble with Java the next year was the teacher did not know Java and was "learning it with us" so we didn't have good guidance.

I believe Java would be the best, since object oriented programming is used for video games (don't know if you are looking into that). I've taken three classes in C++, one in high school and two in college they all were console based, so they were simple to get a hang of. (SO really its what you feel you will need later in life, if you are looking into doing programming later in life).