Possible End-of-year Pc Or Early Next Year

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [B.C.] uLTIMA, Oct 1, 2006.

1. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

OCing like an idiot can kill PCs, and OCing will inevitably "shorten" the lift of the CPU. Fore example, if I overclocked an e6600 to x6800 levels on stock voltage, it's life woudl be ever so slightly reduced, it would essentially have the same lifespan of an x6800 because of increased thermal output. increasing frequency results in a linear increase in heat output. increasing voltage results in exponential icnreases in hea output. That said, I have NEVER increased the voltage past spec, intel and AMD both say 1.35V should be tops for long term use, on ym athlon I ran it at 1.264V(their minimal baseline was 1.30) and I use my c2d @ 1.325V(intels baseline and the lowest my motherbaord allows for) in a purely hypothetical situation though, running a typical e6600@ x6800 levels with same voltage but a better cooler would result in a CPU that should last longer than a stock x6800 with the stock cooler. When OCing, heat is the primary enemy, and electromigration(the destruction of pathways within the circuit due to increased electric potential form voltage increases) is the second enemy. As logn as you don't increase the voltages, neither should be an issue for long term use, by the time a chip would die it would be well past obsolecence. if you limit yourself to stock voltage, there hsouldn't be any heat issues whatsoever as you wouldn't be abel to increase frequency alone by itself enough to cause any issues(chip wouldn't be stable at a certain point and you'de have to backdown since you aren't increasing volts)

as for RAM, as long as you don't run it too hard it should be fine, any set rated for DDR2-800 speeds should offer sufficient headroom(50% [or more] overclock, which is liekly sufficient).

the final component is the motherbaord, as long as you don't increase any voltages it should be a similar story, though you can place a fan or two over parts if you really want to.

and another thing, onle go for max OC when testing for stability if you want to go 24/7. I've tested and each component on my system is stable at 383FSB(3.07GHz on CPU, 766mhz on RAM) but I run it at 2.93 for that extra stability headroom, you can always go up if needed.

so yeah, it's all your choice, I'm just saying, don't entirely limit your options. Quite seriously, you'de probably be fine at stock for some time, then when you feal a need for some more speed, just pump the parts. That's what I'm doing(running at 2.93GHz for a while then in 1-2 years I'll pump on a few more mhz to say 3600-400 if possible) then after the chip begins to near obsolecence, I'll simply run it at stock and keep it as a reminder of good times.

and on the cooling part, the stock cooler should be fine for 2.93GHz or perhaps somewhat higher, it's what they use on the c2d x6800. I am beginning to get sensative to noise myself, so I have most of my fans turned way down when the system is on idle.

2. Blooper008

Blooper008 Well-Known Member

Any board with the Intel 965 Chipset with 2 physical x16 slots support crossfire; http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/disp...0920155107.html

And about the stock HSF, I have many heat issues with mine, get better cooling if you want to overclock. Yesterday, I ran at 2.66. Just to try, reached 70+ degrees on orthos, using AS5 and stock HSF, remounted for a few times and it still doesn't fix anything

About the heatpipe, there's no need to add fans, it keeps cool enough and if it just gets a little to hot, reseat it with some AS5 and you'll be fine.

''you go to an OCing forum and you brag about getting to 3.0GHz and peopel will laugh, a 4.0GHz clock is considered to be good for conroe, 3.0 is nothing.' The current world record is at 4.5ghz and you say 4ghz is good? 3ghz is not nothing... I've seen many ppl around 3ghz and it's good :)

3. xlink

devastation, you jsut ahve a bad CPU, it has nothign to do with your stock cooling, mine hits nowhere enar the temos that yours does when I used stock for the hell of it.

to put it in contrast, for the hell of it I ran with my system with every fan off and my temps were still lower then yours.

4. Blooper008

Probably, I'll get a upgrade soon (another kit of corsair 5400c4, which runs actually on cl3 when at pc5400, lol, videocard; not sure yet, and a better HSF 9500AT. We'll see what temps I'll get and I'll check if the IHS is streight. But still, acording to the article I posted, crossfire will work -_- :P

Merged Post:

Also, I've seen loads of threads about conroe IHS, heat isseus, I'm not the only one with those.. I probably RMA it when temps are still to high. [/offtopic] Sorry, let's continue..

5. xlink

aim for something with micron D9 ICs. again micron is what gives the golden clocking results...

on another note... on a cool day @ 3.07GHz I load lower than you idle...

same to darkstar, make sure you get a decent IHS, or atleast a good enough one, you probably don't want to lap it unless needed... thouh if you want to save the $$$ and just use stock cooling, by all means dont' even worry the contact area on the stock cooler is small enough to negate most of the effects of a concave IHS. only reason to get an expensive HSF is if you want silence. I kinda have my fan turned like off now...

6. Blooper008

That's not complete true, the stock hsf on my p4 was total silence but the cpu was to hot.. now it's mounted with a zalman 7700AlCu and it's silence and cool :)
    I already have one gb, so i'll be buyin the same kit again.

and those temps, what would you want if you have mounted a scythe infinite :mellow:

also, congratz with your 5k posts :)

7. fortune000

fortune000 Active Member

for that price you can get a sweet pc, mae sure and look into it before you spend though and get a card thats compatibe with direct x 10

8. EvilTape

EvilTape Well-Known Member

DX10 isn't available yet... Get yourself a tiny x850 until they come out, then sell it to some unsuspecting non-computer oriented person :)

9. xlink

temps depend on ambient temp and IHS concavity/convexity. for me ona cool morning i load at 44-47C and idle liek 29, again this would eb a chilly morning like 70F(20C) or so