Playstation 3.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kirbir, Oct 12, 2007.

1. kirbir

kirbir Senior Member

Are these worth it guys as i am hoping to buy my boyfriend one of these for either his birthday or as a christmas present?

I have heard from a couple of guys who have owned one of these that the graphics is really bad at the moment and the technology isn't up to standard, also that the graphics is no different than a playstation 2, is this true?.

I need to know what you guys think who have had both the playstation 2 and a playstation 3 and let me know what differences there are between them both, apart from the obvious changes made to it.

Thanks guys.

2. dinges

dinges Senior Member

graphics on this thing are brilliant and haven't even come close to what it's capable of. By far the strongest new console.
    the problem with the ps3 is, however, the disappointing games and the fact that it's very expensive.

if you'r looking for a console to play good games right now I advise a xbox360, if you want a console that will keep getting better over time, a ps3 is a god option

3. kirbir

kirbir Senior Member

More games will come along as time goes by so i am not too worried about that at the moment. He really wants one and i was hoping to buy him one and maybe get some additional information on it from guys who have one like yourself.

I know they are expensive but im not too worried about that.

Thanks for your input hun, hope to see more in here. :)

4. FM Gus

FM Gus Well-Known Member

Scotland the Brave! Sunny Scotland! Home of the wo
    Well, my perspective is going to be biased since I'm a 360 owner :P But, if you want decent games, excellent service, beautiful online service and great interface, then go for the 360(probably Elite). In my honest opinion, decent games will start coming out for the PS3, but most of which are also on the 360, it'll be another 1-2 years before sony do so.

So, really, if he wants good games now, get a 360, if he wants a blu-ray player, etc. Go for the PS3.

And by the way I've played the PS3 many times, and am not trying to put it down, but for me, right now, the 360 is a more logic choice.

5. Hadouken

Hadouken Well-Known Member

The bottom line is, if you have the extra 6-$700 then get it, if not, just get a 360. Only difference is the games, like the only reason I'd get a ps3 is for mgs4. The graphics pretty much look the same from what I've played.

6. kirbir

kirbir Senior Member

Oki doki thanks guys :)

7. FUBAR

FUBAR Senior Member

I have both systems and to be honest the 360 does have better games right now, even the ports which are on both systems look better on the 360. I still think the PS3 is the better buy right now because the games are getting better and has a lot of potential. If you you're looking for a HD player for movies the PS3 has Blu-Ray which is the leading HD format as of now. Also, Home for the PS3 will be out next year which is an online community similar to Second Life which is completely free (unless buying premium content). You need to pay for Xbox Live which is a great service but when Home comes out it will be free but that's not saying it will be better.

If you're boyfriend has a Bluetooth headset it will work with the PS3 as well and or a PSP. It also has a built in web browser so could browse the web from your TV.

I could go on and on with options and compare the two but you probably don't care. lol ;)

Long story short - Xbox 360 is better right now but if you want something with longevity and an HD solution get the PS3.

Hope that helps.. :)

8. BeefStake

BeefStake Senior Member

PS3 will annihilate the 360 in the long run, it has superior power and fanbase, but atm the biggest games are yet to be released. When the titles like MGS4 and the other Playstation only titles hit the store many have predicted the tides will turn. The 360 is at its peak already and its biggest title has already entered the fray (Halo 3). When it comes down to it if he is not a huge Halo fan then the PS3 is definitely your better choice.

9. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

the graphics aren't fully realized as dinges said.

from my experience, the xbox360 produces both better looking graphics and does so at higher frame rates.
    that may change in the future, but as it is now, the PS3 is behind it's time as far as the GPU(poor texture filtering and comparatively dated architecture) goes and TOO far ahead of it's time as far as the CPU goes(excellent design, lots of potential power, but almost impossible to program well for, overall ends up being slower than most other chips due to programming complexity).

I'm not a huge fan of the thing.

but... but... what matters most is if YOU/the consumer in question gets the most benefit out of it as compared to other options.

can you think of something better for 300 quid that your boy friend would like? if not then there you go... if so well..

10. kirbir

kirbir Senior Member

Interesting, so many different opinions.

Thanks a lot guys appreciate it :wub:

11. -=DaRKSTaR=-

-=DaRKSTaR=- Senior Member

hm il try to be unbiased as i can lolz

Well since ive played on one & literally play on it evveryday i feel PS3 is one awesome machine - the 6AXIS controller is hard to get use to [since i played motorstorm] it was crazy but fun :D in the longrun i would say PS3 will overcome 360 in terms games and ye exclusives dont even matter in this its all about user experiences & what NEW type of games come out

I would say 360 is primarily for FPS, which i tend to dislike since it gets very boring for me , literally - I cant play FPS for over 5mins lolz - However 360 is also a awesome machine as well with the amount of games they got so far and XBOX Live is probably the best online play at the moment since PS3 are still updating theirs [Home] unless its out already but Live i would say is a positive for 360

Next thing .. Bluray & HD-DVD - Well i dont know if its official but bluray is slightly outselling HD-DVD format in terms of sales - If you want a bluray player included get PS3 if not then may have to cough up like £900 for a stanadalone one later if daz wants one

I am getting my PS3 next year once GTAIV and/or MGS4 comes out . hopefully lolz - since im buying a 22" HD Ready TV/Monitor woohoo in 2weeks time :D

DAZZY BOY WANTS A PS3 fo sho if he loves PS2 :D Im coming to Dazzy's & your house to play it !! Lolz

12. kirbir

kirbir Senior Member

Yeah he loves his PS2, hes had all the playstations that have come out.

Well it would seem that the PS3 is the better choice thus far and you can come down and play anytime you want, haha

Thanks hun.

13. -=DaRKSTaR=-

-=DaRKSTaR=- Senior Member

wohoo manchester & cherry knocking here i come :D

14. Greasy Pete

Greasy Pete Senior Member

well im defenetly getting a ps3.. but if your boyfriend can afford to pay for the internet then you should probably get the 360 for him.

15. kirbir

kirbir Senior Member

Yeah hes on the net, i don't know, I'm leaning more towards the ps3 at the moment.