Phpbb Help

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Your Mom is Hot, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Your Mom is Hot

Your Mom is Hot Well-Known Member

Hey guy's I was thinking, I do know that theres away to download a forum you made from phpbb into your computer to save It If It ever got erased possible? any tutorial On how 2? and sorry if im not being specific.

2. {-Silver-}

{-Silver-} Guest

ive no idea what u are on about so i cant help u m8

3. matt1987

matt1987 Well-Known Member

you could do a database backup (copying/saving the source within the SQL database.

For that just go to your Admin Panel, click "Backup Database" under the General Admin options. Then you specify how you want it backed up, and start..

To download the whole forum and view it locally you gotta install it on your pc first, then download the whole thing (via FTP ie) and overwrite some of the *.php files. Also, to view it locally, you'll need to install a local MySQL and possibly Apache server. If you wanna do that, try using "xampp" that's a pretty decent prog to easily set up a server on local network, if you're not really into that kinda stuff...

Hope I could help you a little ...

4. $hottY!!

$hottY!! Well-Known Member

I could do with some help aswell m8,

I want to add my own banner but it doesnt upload it and put it on :s

http://p2.forumforfree.com/godfathers.html

the banner with Darkness on it but ive made my own i wanna put onto it :S

5. iClone

iClone Well-Known Member

try to do a backup database

6. matt1987

iite, first download the templates you want to change onto your computer. For example, if you wanna keep everything except the "Darkness" txt, then just download that one:
    http://p2.forumforfree.com/templates/Clanz...es/darkness.gif
    Then edit it how you want it, and upload it again.

If you wanna change the whole thing then it's getting harder, because you have to edit a couple things. Best, you download the whole thing and put it into Dreamwaver or something (or notepad or anything if you're good with php) and edit it from there.. then upload and overwrite.

7. $hottY!!

$hottY!! Well-Known Member

so what does the configurate banner do then :?

backup database > This feature has been disabled due to security reasons, please contact the administrator if you want a backup of your forums

Im using free phpbb forums because i cant find a good free web hosting for forums :s so i cant change anything really but is there another way ?

8. matt1987

nah.. on freeweb it's disabled if they're smart. I mean otherwise you could put everything you wanted into THEIR sql/apache/perl/.. server, like a high bandwidth irc server or something.

Throughout the web you probably won't find a freewebspace hoster who supports PHP/mySQL (which is required for boards like phpBB or wBB or vBB or whatever you wanna use). It just costs too much to have it for free..

There are a couple hosters who give you enough space + requirements for forums or complex php sites, they start at around €5 / $6 / 4pounds / .. whereever you're coming from..

9. Your Mom is Hot

Your Mom is Hot Well-Known Member

hmm, Alright I'll give It a chance. Thank's alot matt.

10. MayurP

MayurP Well-Known Member

if you are using cPanel then just go to backup then generate an entire backup. i do this nightly on all my sites just incase.

11. matt1987

yeah i'm pretty sure you could code yourself a little something that does a daily database backup.. i think for the forums like phpBB and vBB you even can get premade dbbackup hacks..