Pc Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Carbon., Jan 20, 2007.

1. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

actually a lot of CPUs bottleneck the G80s, pretty much all do.

but really now, do you need mroe than 300FPS?

again there will always be one bottleneck here or another there, so don't worry about it.

And trust me when I say this, one 8800 is enough, two is probably overkill. Don't beleive me, look back in time with the 6800s. A single 6800GT was enough and a second one wasn't that much better. Then go a bit into the future, a single 7800GT was good enough and a second was just wasted cash.

plus you cna always add a second one on later, so drop one 8800.

and speeking of the subject of money and obsolecence. The 8800GTX will be obsolete on the same day as the 8800GTS, save the cash.

=============
    http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=193
    do w/e with the case
    upgrade the power supply-Enermax EG565P 535 Watt PSU
    e6600
    2GB "value" RAM, for you it will be good enough, non overclocked intel systems are bottlenecked sooo badly by the system bus that memory performance has little impact. If you overclock that's a somewhat diferent story. Also as of lately, Corsair ahs used the same chips in their value RAM as they have in most of their high eprformance stuff so it doesn't really matter, Damn proMOS chips suck(compared to what they used to use)
    don't f' with a sound card, just place the money diference into better speakers(if you have kickass speakers(and I don't mean a 100dollar entry level suround sound kit) though then this might be diferent)
    don't buy speakers from them
    nor a monitor
    single 8800GTS will probably be good enough. If you like the PS3s GFX, then tripple it as the 8800GTS can outperform the RSX chip in the PS3 by over threefold in many scenarios.

should set you back 1500-1700... don't see how you got the other 700-1000 in there.

2. johndapunk FTW

johndapunk FTW Senior Member

either do i.
    i was at like $2075 right now, not applying chris' suggestions.
    CASE: Hot New! X-Cruiser Mid-Tower 420W Case W/ WINDOW, MultiMeter Display & Control (Silver Color)
    CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
    MOTHERBOARD: (Quad-Core Supports) Asus P5N-E nForce 650i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
    MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader)
    VIDEO CARD: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
    VIDEO CARD 2: NONE
    LCD Monitor: NONE
    HARD DRIVE: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 2 Identical Hard Drives (500GB (250GBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
    Data Hard Drive: NONE
    Optical Drive: (Special Price) 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
    Optical Drive 2: 16X DVD ROM (BLACK COLOR)
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

With chris, that'll put you down to $1760.

3. Carbon.

Carbon. Well-Known Member

Ahh! You didnt tell me you changed the motherboard.. Thats why..

@Chris.. I might do that..

Do I Really need the 8800GTX? I mean look:
    Games I play:

-Rainbow Six Vegas (20)
    -Battlefield 2142 (i get like 15-20FPS)
    -Battlefield 2 (get like 40 FPS)
    -Crysis (Wanna play)
    -ETC ETC and Dx10 games

@Also.. I use Ethernet at my MOMS and this NEW PC will STAY at my moms.. Do I need the moden or Network stuff? On the bottom of the 1st page?

EDIT::
    Latest PC

CASE: Hot New! X-Cruiser Mid-Tower 420W Case W/ WINDOW, MultiMeter Display & Control (Black Color)
    CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
    MOTHERBOARD: (Quad-Core Supports) Asus P5N-E nForce 650i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
    MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader)
    VIDEO CARD: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA)
    VIDEO CARD 2: NONE
    LCD Monitor: NONE
    HARD DRIVE: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 2 Identical Hard Drives (500GB (250GBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
    Data Hard Drive: NONE
    Optical Drive: (Special Price) 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
    Optical Drive 2: NONE
    SOUND: Creative Labs X-FI XtremeGamer 24-BIT PCI Sound Card
    + With Basic Office for mom

-----------------------------
    ibuypower

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/Store/Configu...id=193&c=833781

No Office but.. I might be able to manage

Comment?

4. Pinocchio

Pinocchio Well-Known Member

Ethernet is used for LAN connections so you obviously can't get connected to the net at your mom's using ethernet.. So you will need a router, a USB modem or a PCI Modem.
    EVGA Step-Up program supports PC's from IBP so basically, for the moment get a 7900 GS and around march step up to the 8600, or even the G80 core (not sure on release date though).
    You should be getting more FPS on 2142 than BF2, it's less raping.
    And yes atm you will need the 8800 GTS/X to play DX10 games like crysis or alan wake, so you will need it if you want to play them.

5. Spartan4Ever

Spartan4Ever Well-Known Member

Okay, you 8800 will definately be bottlenecked. But do not worry, people think bottlenecking is like "omg, this GFX now sucks more than a carboard box" when that is not the case. Your just looking a slight decrease in FPS. For example, a non bottlenecked 8800 GTS can run lets say F.E.A.R. at 70 FPS with every setting on highest. Now a bottlenecked 8800 GTS runs F.E.A.R. on highest settings with 69 FPS. It's a one FPS difference and know that the human eye can only see 30 FPS. It's a good build and should keep you set for a good year and a half to two years.

I myself have an 8800 GTS and love it. If you are getting one and u live either in Canada or Western USA then I suggest buying from ncix.com, they only have 6% tax and they're EVGA 8800 GTS is selling for $450 Canadian after mail in rebate( about 380 american I'd say). Make sure to register ur video card when u get it with EVGA(if u get EVGA that is).

6. Carbon.

Ok, I sent my mother (Cyberpower PC ) and (ibuypower) links too what I want. She said it looks good, but a little too high..

The Finally question is.. Stay with the 8800GTX or go GTS? I just need to know that, then I'm good..

7. Pinocchio

GTS tbh..

8. Carbon.

9. Pinocchio

10. Carbon.

Do i need the 650i or the 680i?

I wont be doing SLi with a 8800GTX .. :)

11. homeboy9

homeboy9 Senior Member

you might be doing it later so get it, also quite a bit of the time its cheaper then buying the parts itself and installing them then buying the pc off the internet

12. xlink

a single 8800GTS laughs at FEAR, same goes for oblivion.

your current card might lag, those are heavy games...

this card is in some instances OVER ten-twenty times as powerful...

http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?optio...=1&limitstart=5

at 1600*1200, the 8800GTS averages 65FPS in FEAR - This is without overclocking the card, post OCing the card expect maybe a 20-30% gain.

so if you think it's worth paying 50% more for a card that is 20-30% more powerful, it's your money, not mine.

and FYI the stock power supplies on most cases probably won't do well with any highend graphics card, just emphasizing that.

Merged Post:

VERY TRUE

and better quality parts at the FYI.

and in many instances better warranties as well, though it varies, but in my example, everything in my system either has a 3 year, a 5 year or a lifetime waranty on it.

13. Carbon.

Thank you, My mom will make her choice sometime this weekend.. sih..

Thanks to all!! I will POST with the Final results!

14. xlink

if you won't be going SLi, I advise you to opt for 975X or 965p. 680i and 650 are really really expensive and don't overclock as easily.

15. dharmesha13

dharmesha13 Well-Known Member

Im not sure if this is relevant or not..But try and get your 8800 from BFG-Tech they have a true lifetime warranty....Ive traded in my nvidia 5500 two times and tehy gave me a new one 2x no questions asked