Pc Keeps Locking Up

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by xX ParaDox, Jun 15, 2008.

1. xX ParaDox

xX ParaDox Well-Known Member

So I finally built my pc, after waiting and rmaing ---- for 2-3 weeks I have it up and running, The thing is my computer just randomly locks up, mostly in the middle of memory instinctive or graphically. Mainly CS:S, WoW, and Crysis. Sometimes it does it during the desktop while I leave it running for a while. I have no idea why its doing this, I'm gonna run memtest86 to see if its a memory problem, if not what could it possibily be? Also this started happening right after a power surge... Could anything been damaged?

Specs are:

EVGA 790i Ultra w/ P05 bios
    EVGA 9800 GX2 stock clocked
    Corsair (2x2gb) DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 @ 1.8v
    PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750
    Seagate 1TB Hard Drive
    Vista Ultimate 32Bit

2. .DeFuZioN

.DeFuZioN Well-Known Member

Have you experienced any BSoD's?
    Do you have the latest drivers for your chipset and graphics card installed?
    What temperatures are your components reaching?

DeFuZioN

3. xX ParaDox

No BSOD's at all, installed newest drivers for my videocard, and memtest passed 10 tests. My cpu is still on the stock cooler w/ 60C load and 50C @ idle, memory is running kinda warm, the pwms are kinda warml when I touch them, same with the chipset. While the videocard runs pretty hot, like all stock cooled 9800 GX2's.

I seriously think that the power surge fubar'd my motherboard, as right before it happened. I played CS:S for 4 hours straight no lock ups at all, same while installing wow, im'ing, and listening to music. Then the next day WoW locks up, then CS:S does, and sometimes while I'm even web surfing.

4. BetaMerc

BetaMerc Well-Known Member

Walk in the Street, go to the sewer, go down, to t
    "locks up" is locking your computer in my book.
    Do you mean freezing? and you cant move your mouse nor anything or what?

If you do mean freezing, try removing one of the RAM sticks you have. Then restart and run the Computer. If it happens again, replace the stick you just took out with the one you left inside. Restart, and see what happens.

5. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

EVGA 790i Ultra w/ P05 bios

^^that's your problem

nvidia chipset + 4GB RAM = headaches

try running orthos on blend and see what happens.

6. .DeFuZioN

.DeFuZioN Well-Known Member

Ah yes I forgot that. In that case try removing a stick of RAM. If you are still having issues, you say you had a power surge? If so, grab a multimeter and see how your PSU is running in terms of keeping a constant current.

7. xX ParaDox

I actually tried removing and putting it back in, same thing. I did have a power surge, I'm just gonna replace my motherboard through EVGA hopefully. A replacement is coming in a few days, and I''ll update to see if problems still exist. The night before, the computer was working just great, now I'm lucky If I can play CS:S or WoW for more than an hour locking up. Also locking up as in, I cant enable or disable numlock/capslock, just the sound stopped, and same w/ the video, and ill run othros later tonight, and I should run 2 of them at once?