Partitions Booting And Operating Systems...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by K4D, Jul 7, 2009.

1. K4D

K4D Well-Known Member

Ok so here is my setup.

I have a computer I'm basically redoing, it currently has 2 hardrives each with two seperate partitions

hd1: 250gb
    C: partition 1: ~125GB, has Vista x86 that I CAN boot into and it runs properly
    D: partition 2: ~ 125gb, just a bunch of backed up files from my second harddrive
    hd2: 1TB
    E: partition 3: ~ 800gb, empty
    F: partition 4: ~ 200gb, empty

What i'm trying to do is install Windows 7 RC x64 on E: or F: the problem is that I have burned the dvd, but for some reason the type of DVD will not read on my current dvd player (it works on my laptop but not my desktop)
    so I can't boot into it to install Windows 7, and I do not have a USB drive large enough (well I do but i have erm misplaced it :rolleyes: ) to put the files of windows 7 on (they are just under 3GB worth of files)
    I do have a DVD of windows Vista x86 I can boot into so my dvd player is working but I dont have any dvd's that I can burn and have them work
    I also have a bunch of CD's which (I think) will work with my desktop
    I also have all the files on my D: partition and can boot into vista and move them to E: or F: I tried that and tried to boot to E: but it just sent me into vista on my C: drive instead
    and then I can't just run the files from my Vista install because the Windows 7 i'm installing is 64bit and the Vista install I have is 32 bit

I'm kind of stuck with what I should do, I was really thinking putting the files on it's own partition and booting into it would work, maybe I just messed it up somehow??
    Anyways help would be great

Thanks,
    K4D

EDIT: (system specs)

Processor: Intel core 2 duo, E6750 @ 2.66 ghz
    RAM: 3582MB Ram (ddr2) its ballistix I think, got it from newegg 4 1gb cards
    Motherboard: gigabyte p35 ds3l
    Graphics Card: if these two really matter
    Power Supply: I can get it for you but I dont have them offhand
    Harddrive(s): one 250gb harddrive, one 1TB harddrive, 7200rpm for both
    Optical drive(s): DVD drive Asus 9 months old or so
    Cooling: fans that came with the case, 3 or 4 reasonably sized ones, then a large heatsink on my cpu