Parkour / Weight-training

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DiabloDj1, Mar 16, 2006.

1. DiabloDj1

DiabloDj1 Well-Known Member

Is anyone into parkour around here? How experianced are you?

I want to get into it parkour/freerunning maybe this summer. Starting this week I will be going on a workout schedule. 3 days of weight-lifting, one-two days of cardio (running or biking)

What do you think of my schedule for this?

(3 sets/10 reps) for all

Day 1:
    --Chest--
    Bench Press
    Dumbbell Flies
    Dumbbell Bench Press

--Triceps--
    Dumbbell Extension
    Dumbbell Kick Back

Day 2:
    --Back--
    Bent Over Rows
    Dumb Bell Rows
    Close Grip Raises

--Biceps--
    Bar Curl
    Dumbbell Curl
    Concentration Curl

Day 3:
    --Shoulders--
    Front Raises
    Lateral Raises
    Rear Raises
    Dumbbell Press

--Legs--
    Leg Extensions
    Leg Curl
    Leg Press/Squat

*Replace: Leg exercise by running or heavy bag*

2. D14BL0

D14BL0 Member

Do a LOT of weight lifting. You're going to need strong arms if you want to do the fun stuff.

3. DiabloDj1

Ok yea I figured. I got my plan allready and all my exercises for each.
    I added my schedule above.

4. own3d4u

own3d4u Well-Known Member

Don't overtrain though.. The worst thing you could do is pull a muscle lifting. Make sure you stretch before you workout/run. Your workout looks real good, but make sure to change it up every once in awhile

5. DiabloDj1

Allright thanks own3d

And yea, I took wrestling for a few days so I learned a lot of stretches from that.
    (quit cuz I saw the schedule. 6/7 days a week for a few months didnt fly well with me.)

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What's parkour mean?

7. DiabloDj1

Parkour: the art of forward movement. In parkour, every motion must be as close to 100% efficient as possible in taking you from point A to point B. Therefore vaults, drops, jumps, rolls, wall climbing, and catgrabs are part of parkour, but spins, flips, and direction reversals are usually not. "Traceurs" utilize obstacles and the spaces between them to create a forward flow, taking physical objects meant to restrict motion and using them to enhance it instead. A parkour video usually follows one or more traceurs in constant motion throughout an environment, as they overcome a variety of different challenges such as fences, walls, and gaps. Most parkour videos will include very few shots of "safe locations" such as a gym, because the key to parkour is interaction with the real, outside world.

Example..Urban Ninja..
    This is James Mark of Team Ryouko. My favorite dude of my favorite team.. enjoy.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pB2tdo0I7FQ
    Team Ryouko is more like...martial arts than parkour, but that is.

and try this:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=51...ussian+climbing

that video rocks.

8. music_of_the_madness

music_of_the_madness Well-Known Member

Interesting ^_^ I've never heard of that before

Good luck with it =)

9. blacksunrise

blacksunrise Well-Known Member

I was into parkour before I moved. Now theres f'ing nowhere to do it in the middle of the desert...

I hope you have a productive journey thru parkour. But you are gonna get hurt eventually, it might not be bad but nobody gets as good as the people in those videos without getting hurt sometime.

I've fallen off a few buildings, hit rails wrong, etc. but nothing too serious. You're young, like me, so you are naturally spry and whatnot. I wouldn't wanna start with flips and what not until you've mastered the basics tho.

10. DiabloDj1

Yea, I'm gonna read the guide here:
    http://www.rip-cord.co.uk/phpBB4/viewtopic.php?t=2575

I know I am gonna need some new shoes too, I'd get Nike Air Pegasus. I only got skating shows right now so those wont do any good..
    I know I also need to learn the basic jumps and rolls and such too.
    I want to learn flips and stuff but that wont be till later. I know I also want to learn running on walls and running up them and flipping backwards off them. How hard do you think that is?

Also, I have no experiance with like, martial arts or anything like that...is that gonna be a factor at all?

11. TSR311

TSR311 Senior Member

Make sure to eat and rest in moderation to man.. Thats the worst if you don't.. ;)

12. DiabloDj1

Yea I know. I definetly gotta work on my rest :( I usually only get 6-7.5 hours of sleep.

13. Aiden

Aiden Well-Known Member

You better be good at gymnastics. If your a kid that sits in front of his computer all day and sees a cool video and wants to do it, it may not be for you. Just working out on a half-par workout and running twice a week.. (needs to be at LEAST 7 times a week.. running is te most important..
    maybe 1 day break) wnt cut it,

14. DiabloDj1

I see.

And yea, I'm on the computer...but I also am athletic. I got a natural atheltic build so i'm gonna try working with it. xP

I'll try running more also. Maybe 2 for this week, 3 times for next week. Then I can move up to just 4 for a little while. Then I can really start training some more soon after. I'm not gonna jump right into running every day.

Also, how long should I run? and what do you mean half-par? how can i improve it?

15. Aiden

Aiden Well-Known Member

Have you ever gone on a workout PROGRAM? not sparatically whenever you feel like it.

Athletic build means nothing really, except your not obese. Which would make your goal pretty much impossible...

Im willing to bet you have little to no endurance.. (major factor in everything you're wanting to do.. lifting/running/etc.)
    Im not sure how well you are at running... What is your 1 mile time? If you don't know.. find a track near your school or something and time yourself.
    Running is not the same as lifting, run 6 times a week at least. Give yourself a break, once a week. But do something athletic that day.. (preferably upper body)

Your workout needs to be more specific.
    As in how many sets per lift, and how many reps per set. And how much weight, it needs to increase in weight just a little bit after every set. If you keep it the same, you are just toning your body, but if you increase just a small amount, you toning your body AND getting stronger.

Do situps daily. It makes your core stronger(very important), and the ladies love abs ;)

Im not sure on what you need specifically for parkour, but i can tell you what i do for abs daily (just before bed, and when i wake up)
    In this order:

-50 Full situps (Leg's bent)
    -50 Russian Twists (25 to each knee - bent leg)
    -25 Leg Raises (flat legs, hold 6 in above ground, then move to about a 45 degree angle with the ground, then back down to 6 in. - 1 repetition)
    -50 Situps again, (legs flat against floor)
    -200 Bicycles (100 to each knee, google it for a video, somewhat hard to explain..)
    -50 Full Situps (Leg's bent)

Do as many as you can, if you normally don't do situps, then try cutting everything in half, and try to make your way to 50, if 50 is to easy, do 75. Make sure to do each excersize with a constant speed.