Our Present Day World

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SomeThingCreepy, Sep 6, 2006.

1. SomeThingCreepy

SomeThingCreepy Well-Known Member

Right now people are scanned, searched, spied upon, detained, killed, isolated all in the name of stopping crimes and "terrorism". This is tolerated by the people and the legitimate powers because there is a consensus that these measures effectively nullify "terrorists”.

It is almost impossible to ever have a intellectual conversation with most people these days. When I have a political debate with someone, they do not think for themselves or give good reasons why they believe their side of the argument. They just shout out cliche lines they hear from conservative mass medias. For example, I say I'm against the patriot act because it invades privacy. They would say things such as "Oh I have nothing to hide, as long as we stop the terrorists".

So, what is a terrorist?

A radical who employs terror as a political weapon; usually organizes with other terrorists in small cells; often uses religion as a cover for terrorist activities

So, let's replace the words a radical with the words the United States Government.

The United States Government employs terror as a political weapon.

What is the political weapon? Bush and his cabinet was given an incredible amount of power. "For the sake of protecting the US" we had many of our rights violated. Spied on, tapped phones, invasion of privacy, entering homes without a warrant, killing, incarcerating, and other things. All they had to say was the word "terrorism".

The thing is, most people are all right with current situation, with their standard of living, traditions etc and and they are willing to blind themselves and ignore what is really happening to keep it that way. They are used to live this way so they see no problem with it.

But the fact is. NO ONE CARES

European governments aid ours (the US) in transporting suspected terrorists to EGYPT (torture). European government rolls over and breaks half of our laws by raiding the ISP hosting thepiratebay, why? Cause the US was pressured by all the lobbyist bull---- and in turn pressured them.

What happened after these two incidents? Not a ----ing thing, there's some slight media outrage but NOTHING happened.

In the good old days we would have stormed the palace and cut their heads off --

And elections are a ----ing joke, at least here, all anyone is doing is
    1) Making fun of the opposition
    2) Promising things they are NEVER going to keep, mostly more money/jobs/lower taxes

Often times the news media blows things out of proportion, doesn't report all the facts, and almost appears to be trying to destroy this country. Yes, of course the terrorists want to kill us. That's why they're fricken terrorists. My mom flips out every tim they say terrorists want to do something, but I just sit there and laugh because a) I can't do anything about it and B) I'm not going to let some dickwad who thinks he's some god's disciple ruin my day.

I wish the news media would actually report the news. Hearing about every violent crime in the nation during that day isn't really news. Every now and then they throw on some heart-warming story about a dog or some crap.

What are your views?

2. Morv

Morv Well-Known Member

But the fact is. NO ONE CARES

3. Iron Bonney

Iron Bonney Well-Known Member

Actually Egyptian prisoners/suspects are usually either taken away by the CIA or kidnapped by them.

The US governemnt used the 9/11 attacks just like an election campaign advertisment....people have so much faith in the governemnt as they are willing to give up their freedoms for it to ensure the "security" of their lives.
    My advice is americans need to travel abroad alot more to see how the world works.

4. coolplayer

coolplayer Well-Known Member

---- the US and it's currupted goverment. Just watch Loose Change, great documetary.

5. Lt. Crumpet

Lt. Crumpet Well-Known Member

loose change......ROFLCOPTER MOMENT

and iron, thx for your enlightened facts about the inner workings of the CIA from a non american citizen.

on to the real debate...yes creepy...im back.

the way you say the "conservitive cliche's" like patriot act protection is really used incorrectly. it would be better put "republican cliche's". i myself am a strong conservitive, and more or less believe that the government should be shrunk to the size where it can be drowned in a bathtub. problem is, with a nation of 300+ million people, we've got a lot of crazies who do immoral things. that and protection is what the government is for.

the patriot act is not protection, it is the beginnings of big brother.

do i hate bush? no. do i think he was the better man for the job compared to kerry? yes.

i believe bush is using 3/4 conservitive philosophy, and 1/4 liberal philosophy. problem is, that liberal 1/4 is government control, which is wrong.

and, the media IS trying to destroy america as we know it. the america most of us AMERICANS know is actually mostly conservitive, just that we only notice the liberal extremes.

the media as a whole is trying to destroy the conservitive, and therefore american, way of life.

my views can be mostly summed up in the translated quote "those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve niether"

but hey, this only works when people have morals...

6. HydrogeN

HydrogeN Well-Known Member

SomeThingCreepy- All I have ever seen you post is threads about how corrupt the US is. May I ask where you live? I am pretty sure it is in the US< yet you still live here.

7. Iron Bonney

Iron Bonney Well-Known Member

Yes Iam not an American citizen, but most of my family are... and facts are facts it doesnt matter where Iam from or what am I.

I lol'ed at that ^

Anyway its not Bush's fault really, if any other republican was eleceted instead he will do the same.

Regradless of the events, the US wants to set foot in the Middle-East to secure energy resources for the future (you are so naive if you cant see that) and guess what? people are actually pissed(omg o rly??) when someone takes their homeland away from them so are they going to wage a full scale war against the US? Ofcourse they cant, so they resort to terrorism.
    And Iam telling you Iraq is JUST the begining of many catastrophic wars/events yet to come.

8. Amoebassassin

Amoebassassin Well-Known Member

Before I state my opinion, I would like to say that I am a proud American. The global opinion of my country may not be that illustrious at the moment, and the public opinion of our current President may have a lower percentage than Nixon when he was impeached, but I live here, I love it, and I'll never leave for anything. America is the greatest, but for me (not trying to piss all over anyone else's nation)

Now, with that being said, I am not too fond of G Dubya. I voted for Kerry, but I know now that if he won, we'd be more ----ed than we are now. He would've yanked the troops from Iraq, left the situation alone, as the terrorists would've regained control of the country (although there's little stopping that from happening now when we withdraw from Iraq).

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the US Government wields terrorism as a political weapon. It's up to us to defend those who can't defend themselves. Bush is agressive, yes, but not a terrorist.

This just seems to be a topic where it's better off to 'agree to disagree'. It's politics, and people are very passionate about their political beliefs. The only thing I think we all agree on is the fact that there have been far too many innocent lives taken in the past five years.

9. beatsta

beatsta Well-Known Member

You can like a country but dislike the way it's run at the same time.

10. SomeThingCreepy

I don't hate the country, I don't hate the government. What i stated is more against the mass media, and how blind our citizens are to what's happening, they're believing everything the News says :(

I was watching FOX news and some guy was running around killing people, and they called him a terrorist. My mom was watching too, and said "See! LOOK! TERRORISTS ARE EVERYWHERE."

How is a guy murdering his ex-wife then running from the police have ANYTHING to do with political reasons?

11. HBRedRider

HBRedRider Well-Known Member

First of all, the US isn't corrupt. I personally think it is fine for them to take extesnsive measures to stop terrorism. So far they have done a great job in preventing another attack. I have nothing to hide, and if you don't, why do you care?

And for all those simply flaming the United States, you need to stop and grow up. Just because it isn't your country doesn't mean it is doing the wrong thing.

What starts all of these arguements is political debates. In the beginning of the war most Americans supported it as we continued to get positive results in Iraq. However, now that we have to hold the country until it can support itself, Americans have lost support for it because it is not yeilding results. America is doing what is has to do in Iraq right now, and I feel it is the right thing. If American gives up now then Iraq will fall to terrorism and all will be lost. We have done a great thing in Iraq, and can't abandon them now because the war doesn't look so great right now or people have lost sight of the cause.

I assume you are talking about Bush here. Obviously you are democratic and are blind to the good things he has done and the success in the war simply because you hate having a republican president that badly. There is nothing wrong with being democratic or republican, but please respect the other views and look at incidents maturely and from both viewpoints. Bush won both elections far and square, sorry, but he is in office for now and deal with it. And Bush by no means thinks he is God, that is something from Classical China...

^ My two cents :D

12. Dencity

Dencity Well-Known Member

Katrina was a lot worse than what the news showed..and did anyone see that vh1 webjunk video where the reporter is in a boat and is talking about the water being really really high and right behind her there are firemen with the water up to their ankles?

13. SomeThingCreepy

actually was talking about the anchormen who were broadcasting misinterpreted events.

If you want to see a video on the bending of truth in the Middle East then watch this

Google Video Click Here

I have nothing against republicans or our war. We went in for oil, and so be it. I don't care, I didn't benefit from it.

But about how if I have nothing to lose, well I lose my time. Have you been on an airplane lately? They literally search everything. If you accidently have some cream in your carry on, then ur practically a terrorist and ----ed for life >.<

14. Phainted

Phainted Well-Known Member

-_- Sure we have our problem but doesn't everybody else?

15. HBRedRider

HBRedRider Well-Known Member

You are over reacting about the airport thing. I think they are doing a great job. After Sept. 11 what do you think? They aren't just going to be slack for your convenience, as soon as that happens there will be another attack.

Also, I don't care for google videos based on political topics because %90 of them are not real.

And the war was not over oil. People have made elaborate conspiracy theories that the government allowed the attacks so they could go to Iraq for oil. That is just a BS conspiracy theory. We haven't gained any oil as Americans all know considering the rising gas prices. Also, we have no intention of staying in Iraq longer than the job requires... so our influence there will be gone.

What America did in Iraq was a great thing, even if you believe it was for oil. Oil may have been a possible product of the war, but was definitely not the goal. The goal of the war was and still is to liberate the Iraqi people from a tyrant, and we have done a great job of that. Iraqi citizens are now free, and will soon be left on their own to rule once stabiliazed. Suddam was a ruthless tyrant who was cruel to his people and supported terrorism, he needed to be taken out, and that is what the war was about.

So please don't say the war was all about oil, because it wasn't. I can see were some believe that could be a factor, but it was by no means the driving factor of the war.