Onboad Vid/sound - Good Or Bad?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AcidGlow, Oct 8, 2006.

1. AcidGlow

AcidGlow Well-Known Member

So I'm talking to this salesman about a pc I'm buying and he tells me I should have no problems with onboard vid and sound.. but I think otherwise..

So, what are the benefits and the risks of getting onboard vid/sound?

should I just throw out the extra cash and get the extermal devices for a sound and vid card as they normally are?

2. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

i've never ehard of external video cards...
    onboard audio is typically fine but it varies by model. I've always gone with higherend motherbaords so I've always gotten better sound but i know some lowend systems have shid by audiophile standards(but for the layman it is fine, i persoanly dont' see any issues with the int sound on the dell dimensions at school)

as for int video, it usually sucks but you can always add a card alter. if you don't game there is no reason not to go onbard unless you need the system RAM.

3. ChiefNX

ChiefNX Well-Known Member

If you play 3D games, then it won't be long before you realise that integrated graphics doesn't cut it.

If you're not a gamer, then you might as well save the money for a better processor, better cooling etc.

Some motherboards come with integrated sound that rivals sound cards. Again, it depends on what your computer is for.

4. DiabloDj1

DiabloDj1 Well-Known Member

DONT bother gettin a soundcard, no change really..

I got my Audigy 4 (not pro) for 15 bucks, THAT was worth it, but I got 1337 skills so..yea