No Sound After Reformat

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by V1sual B1nary, Jun 26, 2006.

1. V1sual B1nary

V1sual B1nary Well-Known Member

I reformatted my bros laptop the other day, updated everything installed drivers etc but he has no sound i looked into it and it says there is no soundcard at all so went to find some drivers and when it tries to install any i get a flash of the bios screen and it restarts. No virus's on it or anything ive no idea what to do next, help appriciated thanks in advance.

2. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

it's most likely using onboard sound. check the drivers fo rh motherboard and install the proper ones. I've had this issue before myself.

3. johndapunk FTW

johndapunk FTW Senior Member

If you need to know what motherboard you have, and you don't have cpu-z, just run dxdiag. And yes, it is probably incombatable drivers; my motherboard came with a cd with all the required drivers to use with it.

4. TheBrotherhood

TheBrotherhood Well-Known Member

Actually i had this same exact problem before. Right after i reformatted the sound just wouldnt work.
    I eventually found that re-installing the sound driver fixed it. If that doesnt work for you, then i really have no idea.

5. V1sual B1nary

Hmmm yeah, i dont have the original cd's that came with it i used my windows disk everything works but the dam sound, ill look for motherboard drivers see if that helps.

6. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

technically it isn't a motherboard driver which is used per se but a seperate audio driver(included with motherboard CD 99% of the time)

7. V1sual B1nary

As i say i dont have any cd's that came with it years ago, havnt tried drivers for the mother board yet, any other suggestions other than the sound card drivers which restarts it.

8. -=DaRKSTaR=-

-=DaRKSTaR=- Senior Member

Not sure if answered already ...

Have you got a soundcard or onboard sound through motherboard?

Sorry if repeated ... Anyways

Give us the name of the motherboard or soundcard - I will look for the driver ...

When you go into 'Sound' icon in control panel - There is a dropdown box - Check if its there or not - You probably done that already but just to make sure if you have [None] selected :)

- DarkStar