Nintendo Ds

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Ambiguity, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Ambiguity

Ambiguity Well-Known Member

Everyone hid in your closet so I'm under your bed
    So my sister bought me a DS(lite) a couple days back(out of nowhere which was nice) and I was wondering if anyone else had one and what games or accessories you would recommend.I probably can't get anything for it for a awhile but I'd still would like to know.

I really want one of these but I can't find anyone who sells them(they have links on the site but none of the american retailers they listed sell 'em q.q):http://www.g6flash.com/

2. smallpau1

smallpau1 Senior Member

get the R4 card, better than anyother thing you can get for DS, no flashing your DS required, so it doesn't void warranty. Ive got it and i LOVE it! All you gotta do, put the software on the micro SD card (CD comes with everything you need, plus firmware you'll need to download from the main site), but all you gotta do is put ROMs on it, but i can't give out where i get those from, but you can google everything, =)

btw, it comes with a 1 GB micro SD card, so don't buy another one unless you NEED another one, but you might, i have 3 full GBs full of ROMs for mine.

3. Ambiguity

That one looked really nice to me(the G6), and you didn't have to by anything else for it(like SD cards).I kind of have a dilemma though because since you can't use SD cards on it I don't think you can expand it's memory.The other one I was looking at before this was the "M3 DS Real" but I hear you gotta buy the Gameboy expansion for it to be really kewl(in order for it to play GB too games or something like that).

4. smallpau1

smallpau1 Senior Member

With R4 card (dont know about the others):
    You can play retail carts just fine. However, GBA ROMs cannot be played without the aid of a slot-2 flash cart.

But, SD cards aren't that expensive anymore, you can get a 2 GB Micro SD for the price of 1/2 of a DS game nowadays (which if you put ROMs on it, you're gonna have like 25 games on it, i think mines holding about 25-30 right now, lol). M3 and R4 are made by the same company I'm 98% positive, but i think the R4 card is more popular. Can put whatever you want on it as well, ROMs/Music/Movies (although i only use it for games).

5. Ambiguity

Well I'm a little bit skeptical after reading all the cons about it in this review:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=41279

The M3 seems more English friendly and has more features, here's the review from the same place(probably a different person though):
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=68277

6. smallpau1

smallpau1 Senior Member

GBATemp.net is where i get all my info for it, great community for anything DS related. </offtopic>

Cons
    - Basic, dated GUI
    - Lacking extra features
    - English firmware updates slower than Chinese
    - Low homebrew compatibility
    - Lacking download play support

All these are fixed with a firmware update (for the most part), yea it may take a few days, but don't you wait to buy games off the shelf a few days anyways (most of the time)?

7. Ambiguity

Does the download play work with the new patch?That's what mostly bothers me, I can kind of deal with a crappy interface(graphic wise) but I would rather just buy the real games if it doesn't support dl play with the games I like.I have no idea what 98% of that site is saying though(r4ds.com), I don't speak chines :P.

P.S. hombrew incompatibility kinda bother me too, I mean I haven't really checked anything homebrew out except for moonshell but still...

8. smallpau1

smallpau1 Senior Member

Interface is no biggie, as you goto the R4 screen for 5 seconds to load a game, then your in the game, like you just inserted the actual DS game cartridge and turned the DS on. All the interface is is a calendar with a menu of your music/games. I've had no problem finding my way around the r4ds.com site. You'd have to research about the download play though, i've never used it, what's it for? I also don't play online, so don't know how it works for online play. But i think that on gbatemp it says somewhere what game are download play compatible.

9. smallpau1

smallpau1 Senior Member

i downloaded a warcraft tower defense homebrew game, and i must say, it's on my top 5 fav's on my r4 card, lol. So i've had no problem with homebrew either. Just depends on what card the homebrew was made for i guess.

10. Ambiguity

You can either use Download Play at stores or with a friend that has a cartidge with it enabled(plus a wi-fi hotspot).At stores it mostly to download trailers and demos of upcoming games, but with a friend you use it to play multiplayer with them around a wi-fi hotspot(basically online play without having to use special settings).

Next questions:
    So how much did your r4 cost?What about hombrew compatibility(as mentioned in my "p.s." above)?What SD's do you use(what brand and model)?

11. smallpau1

smallpau1 Senior Member

Yea, ive never done the download play at all, don't know anybody around here who has a DS or the same interests as me in games, if they do have one, lol.

It comes with a 1 GB SanDisk, and i bought a 2 GB SanDisck not knowing it came with the 1 GB one. But i would've bought the 2 GB one anyways as i now have 3 Gigs full of DS games. I payed somewhere between $30-$45 for it, dont remember for sure. I'm sure you can find it somewhere for $30-$35. But as i said in my previous post, i have Warcraft Tower Defense homebrew game, and i IMHO, i think it's more fun than the PC versions, lol. And i think it depends on who the maker of the homebrew made the homebrew for, could've been for r4, could've been for another one.

12. Ambiguity

Alright well thanks for all the help, and I figured out I got linked to the chinese version of the site which is why I couldn't read anything :P.

The site doesn't have any links of where to buy it in it's "where to buy" button q.q

13. smallpau1

smallpau1 Senior Member

No problem, if you decide to get it, you won't be disappointed, i promise. If you are, i'll gladly buy it off you, lol. I'm looking for another one, My girlfriend broke up with me and took the DS, but I kept the R4 card, but she wants another one and doesn't know how to use it, lol. Need anymore help, just let me know!

**EDIT** I bought mine on amazon.com, try there maybe?

14. Picjay777

Picjay777 Well-Known Member

man i am more of a fan of the psp which i have then ds...DS i find is more kinda childish...if that made sense hehe.

15. smallpau1

smallpau1 Senior Member

PSP has like 3 games that i enjoy. DS has like 35 of which i play. Only reason it's better is gfx, i bet that would be your reasoning behind your decision.