New Pc Build Help

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by darkshine, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Kirz

Kirz Well-Known Member

Good luck on the pc, I'm about to be in the same boat as you soon! :D

2. Bracketology

Bracketology Well-Known Member

You might want to make sure the HDD you currently have is a SATA HDD, The older computer use ATA.

3. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

get a diferent PSU, quality over quantity as far as output goes. FYI most absurdly rated PSUs are just that... absurd,

of the PSUs similarly priced, this is the only one I know of which is solid
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120376
    http://jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDRe...ory&reid=71 <<== worth a quick read...
    http://jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDRe...ory&reid=35

so the p31 DS3L looks al right, certainely good enough
    and your card seems alright too, the 8800GT

should be a reasonably solid gaming system at stock and with the CPU moderately OCed, a fairly good gaming rig. If you come upon more cash, a 4850 would still make a good choice, but an 8800GT 512mn is dang solid too given its cheaper pricing.
    http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-099-HT

4. darkshine

darkshine Well-Known Member

OK I'll go with that PSU :P Thanks xlink

5. darkshine

I've just been looking over everything and what really stands out is that my budget has been pushed up by one or two things. I'm fine allowing a bit more for the GPU as I want a good spec one, but trying to bring it back down price wise I was wondering what the real disadvantage is to going with a cheaper PSU, for example this one:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124922/show_product_overview

The reviews are all good but im just not sure if all the connectors are there to go with the mobo/parts ive chosen :/

6. sedative

sedative Member

Please, o please throw that CPU away. A 1.8 ghz and you want to play any kind of game?
    If you're low on budget, buy an E8400 CPU. Quite an old model though. I saw overclocks with that over 6 ghz. (with fluid N²).
    If you rather like a new CPU, try to get a Q9450, or a Q6600 for the previous model.

for a graphics card. The 48xx series from ATI just shipped in. If you have money to spend, a 4870, if you haven't, buy the 4850. If you haven't got any money at all, take the 3870.
    All of these cards are little less performance than their Nvidia equivalent. Though, they are MUCH cheaper. If you have the money to buy the Nvidia equivalent, you rather put 2 ATI's in CrossFire.

Mainboard: take a look at Gigabyte, or MSI P35 boards. the P45 isn't worth at all to put the money down for.

RAM: Kingston 2x2gb cards. @800 mhz.

Casing: take the cheapest one, then casemod it yourself to your very own wishes.

This system would cost around €750.

7. darkshine

Um, thats great except I don't have that money, the CPU is fine and the I only really need help with the PSU now :P

8. darkshine

Can anyone help?

9. sedative

sedative Member

Coolermaster M520. Extreme quality, but quite expensive. I found it somewhere for €50, it's commonly sold at €70

10. darkshine

Again, I'm trying to cut the expense of the PSU not increase is :/

11. sedative

sedative Member

If I were you, I would just not buy anything. Instead of buying total crap, just save some money. Face it, you're just to low-budget to buy a new comp. (I don't think a comp with a 1.8 ghz CPU could be considered as a 'new' comp)

12. darkshine

Oh just get out. Some of us aren't loaded with cash and, newsflash, I could build a £179 computer that will run Crysis on medium settings adequately. Stick another £150 on top of that and it will run very well, maybe even pushing some settings to high. The kind of rigs you're wanting me to buy would be entirely wasted for the usage I have.

13. Northern.

Northern. Well-Known Member

that gfx card ur getting should be arriving for me soon ^^

14. sedative

sedative Member

I can buy a celeron as well, which should run crysis when it's new, but after 3 years, you can't even play runescape anymore. Oh please, YOU should just get out. If you want to buy an entirely new system every 2-4 years, yu should do that. It's not my opinion though, I invest some money now, in 3y I maybe put another graphical card in it, a new RAM module. In 7y I change the motherboard and CPU, and I take my old RAM cards with me.
    That serves me quality any time. Not just periodicly.

Though that's my opinion, you could have another one if you like.

And @Northern: I really don't see what's helpful about posting "I'm buying the same graphics card". It doesn't even contain a quality issue you've experienced because you even don't have the card. So give me a -1 reputation about my opinion is completely outmoded. (thought there was a law out there in any civilized country which says you're free to have your own opinion).
    YOU, should have a -1 reputation, because of your ridiculous reason for giving ME a -1 rep, plus having a post that is superfluous.

15. Northern.

Northern. Well-Known Member

I do have the card now so ha!

runs great btw :)