New Mobo. Help Me Please

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Maccaaccam, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Maccaaccam

Maccaaccam Well-Known Member

Well today I received a new mobo and cpu plus some ram and I thought I would have it up a running in its new case in a matter of minutes but today I got a call from my brother who had spoken to one of his computer savvy friends, he said that putting the new motherboard and cpu in would make it like the hard drive has been reformatted.

Firstly is this true?

I understand I need to reinstall all the programs etc after a formatting but what if I don’t have the disk for xp? Would an xp disk come with word and all those sort of programs?

is there someway of making a reinstall disk that I insert after the new cpu and mother board has reformatted the hard drive that will install windows?

I thought a new CPU would just be one of those "windows has detected new hardware" balloon in the bottom right corner job.

Any help would be great fully appreciated. I am a noob in need.

2. Phili G

Phili G Well-Known Member

Im sure windows will need to be re-validated if you change over two of the core computer components. This is to stop an installation getting imaged or ghosted and installed on other pcs.

If you are building a PC, your hard drive doesn't get automatically reformated, the new motherboard will just recognise it without a problem (providing it supports the old harddrive interface (probably (P)ATA))

3. Maccaaccam

well thats what i thought. that i could add the new motherboard etc and it would just recognize it.

the hard drive is a sata 7200rpm and yes the motherboard does support it.

mother board says Integrated SATA 3Gb/s with RAID function as a feature.

4. Jammie

Jammie Well-Known Member

It will run, but the windows install will have to be r------idated. If it's a retail copy of windows, then you'll just have to ring them up and ask for a new serial, but I don't think you can transfer OEM licenses.

EDIT: seems to block the word ev-al

5. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

plug the stuff in, start up in safe mode, uninstall the odl drivers isntall new drivers, done.

6. Maccaaccam

i think i need to get an xp disk. so i can install it if something goes wrong or i might do it in reverse order.