Network/internet Trouble...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Rurak, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Rurak

Rurak Member

I'm having trouble with my internet for the following reasons:

I can connect to the internet fine but then when i try to open my web browser(mozilla firefox) it doesn't work, i also tried on IE but it also has the same problem im currently running Windows XP Home Sp2.

Network Problems:

Can't share internet on the network (its dial-up 56k) network says limited or no connectivity, trys to renew ip address (fails) not being able to share internet really sucks.. :(

using a null lan cable

If anyone could help me please post back ASAP.

If u need more info on my comp or the settings i have network on pm me or post in thread

2. HydrogeN

HydrogeN Well-Known Member

Ok. So you can connect to the net fine but IE and Mozilla don't work? Do they run ?? or do you mean they won't connect to sites?

I am in a similar situation myself (thankfully not on 56k :rolleyes:) and sometimes I connect to the network but the router does not forward the connection to my PC.

Something you can try once it has connected to the network:

Do Start-->Run and type:

Cmd /k ping google.com

You could post a screenshot of what you see here (if you can't interprete the results). This will basically test to see if your computer can connect to google.com if it can - its probably a browser issue, missing common controls .dlls can cause this. If not, its obviously a problem with modem / handshake with your PC.

3. Rurak

Rurak Member

Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again.

I tried on my laptop which the same internet connection works on and it works here, my internet browsers work but dont load pages..

Any other ideas? or ill just re-install windows...

4. HydrogeN

It doesn't appear to be a software problem (I wouldn't waste your time reinstalling Windows).

1) Have you tried disabling the network connection (--> network and dial up options) and re-enabling it ?

2) You could also try reseting / turning off the modem manually. Did the connection work before? Have you recently installed a firewall / new software which could interfere with your connection.

3) Are you on a router? Is this connection shared over a network?

5. Ckilla

Ckilla Well-Known Member

Something like this recently happened to me. Wasn't quite sure why it happened but I think it was because of spyware/adware w.e. Certain spyware can interfere with internet browsers and programs.
    After doing a system restore to a time when firefox/I.E. were working and than running some good anti spyware software...It fixed the problem.

A. Try doing a system restore
    B. Scan for spyware/viruses/etc etc.

If all else fails uninstall all network stuff and reinstall ISP software, hardware etc.

Hope this helps B)

6. HydrogeN

You can see from his ping result its a net problem not a browser hijack. He needs to make sure the modem is configured correctly.

If it is a virus - it must be pretty nasty (or a distinct abscence of AV software :rolleyes:) to completely nuke his internet connection.

7. Rurak

Rurak Member

tried disabling then re-enabling, doesnt work, yes the connection did work before until i reseted it and it came on like that :/ ill try a system restore and tell u if that works, i did a ad aware scan, spybot scan and a full scan with norton.. came up with a few spy ware deleted them didnt work :(

8. HydrogeN

Ok dude, if that doesn't sort it perhaps you could give us some more inf0 on your connection / network situation.

9. Rurak

Rurak Member

Well as i said i can connect to the internet fine using iiNet but when i open my browser or any other internet related program (eg. MSN Messenger, Games..) it says that im not connected to the internet.

maybe it was Sp2 but im not sure, are there any Sp2 related programs like this??

10. Rurak

Rurak Member

nvm works now thnx for all the help

11. Gez

Gez Well-Known Member

lol why does it work now, what did you do

12. Rurak

Rurak Member

system restore + virus scan + spyware scan + re-installed IE5