Need For Speed: Most Wanted

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Dan, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Well, i've been playing this game for a while now, and i'm writing a review on it. And I did write all of this, nothing is copied and pasted.

Legend to review:

Bold White: Sections
    Orange: Subsections
    Yellow: Subsubsections
    Green: Grading System

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------y

Storyline 8/10

You start out as some hotshot in a badass car, when all the sudden your race is rigged and your car is stolen. So now your pissed, and you have to fight your way down the blacklist and face the cop who stole your ride, Cross. They try to intergrate the story with the gameplay, and they do an ok job with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gameplay 9/10

I really like the changes they made from Need For Speed Underground 2. Some things were fixed, but other things are lost. For instance, its alot nicer not to have to drive to races, as you can just pick your currently available races from a menu. On the other hand, you still need to drive in between the shops, but thats not really any problem. As for the shops, they are more just three different locations. First you have your Safe House, where Next you have the All Around Shop, Your final place is the Car lot, where you go to buy new cars, there are 22 cars total for you to buy as you Progress.

Shops and Locations:
    [Not all options are there at the start of the game, you gain them by beating other members one the blacklist]

Safe House:
    You can cycle through your cars, check out what races and milestones are next on the blacklist, manage your account, and other options.

All Purpose Shop:
    This is where you go to upgrade your car. This shop is basically an all in one, and you go there for Car parts (spoilers, body kits, ect.) Performance upgrades, and Visual upgrades. (paint, rims, ect.)

Car Lot:
    This is where you go to buy new cars, there are 22 cars total for you to buy as you progress.

Blacklist:
    The Blacklist is a group of races that you need to take down one by one, there are three categories that you need to complete to continue to take on the racer.

Races:
    Each Blacklist racer will require a certain amount of won races to continue. There are many kinds of races, they are:

Circuit: 4 Racers, 2, 3, or 4 laps.
    Lap Knockout: 4 Racers, 3 laps, last place racer is eliminated each lap.
    Sprint: 4 Racers, 1 long lap.
    Speedtrap: 4 Racers, 1 lap. Drive through "Speedtraps" and the racer with the highest speed at the end wins.
    Drag: 4 Racers, must manually shift and change lanes. 1 short lap.
    Tollbooth: Race alone, have to get through the tollbooths before the time runs out.

Milestones:
    Milestones are new to the NFS series, you must complete enough milestones to compete with the next rival. There are many types of milestones, they are:

Speedtrap: Pass through the speedtrap at the specified speed.
    Tagging: You must tag (hit) a specified amount of police cars. This include all types of police, including the SUV's.
    Time limit: You must either evade the chase in a specified amount of time, or keep the chase going for an amount of time.
    Bounty: You must acheive a specified amount of bounty in a chase.
    Cost to State: You must acheive a specified amount of cost to state in a chase.
    Blockades: You must dodge (or break through) a specified amount of baricades in a chase.
    Spike Strips: You must dodge a specified amount of spike strips in a chase.

Bounty:
    Bounty is needed to advance in the blacklist, and you gain more heat by getting it. Bount is achieved in the following ways:

Ramming Vehicles
    Destroying Vehicles
    Evading the Pursuit
    Gaining more Heat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graphics 9/10

The graphics in this game are borderline amazing. In the original Xbox version, the visuals and graphics are very nice for current generation. However, when I played the Xbox 360 version, I was blown away. They have improved everything from the Xbox version. The cars are much more proportional (aka less blocky) and the reflections on them are real time. As you drive under trees, you see the reflection of it. When your facing towards the sun, your car is very bright and you cant see everything on it as well. I even noticed that when you engage the GPS system, the arrow pointing you in the right direction had reflections and shadows on it. The lighting is overall wonderful. The way the sun shines on the road, cars, a day and afternoon cycle (you can even see the shadows of buildings moving on the road). When you go to the shop, you will have a wide variety of optinos in the Visuals section. You can put on Gloss, Metallic, or Custom paints, you can add a huge variety of vinyls (sadly only one layer). You can also choose from window tints, rims, decals, and more.

Sound 8/10

The sound on this game is quite nice. The EA trax is ok, and fits well with the game. It is mainly rock, with a few other weirdo's in there. I'm not a huge fan of EA trax, so I usually just put on the music from the 360, or on my iPod. The cars sounds have improved, with good engine sounds, nitrous, and other minor noises. There are different noises for hitting different objects, and you can tell. The voicework is pretty good, EA kept things cheesy, so your wont be hearing any F-Bombs... buts its all good.

Overall 9/10

The newest installment in the Need For Speed series is basically great. The Gameplay, controls, graphics, sound, and experience all make this game worthwhile overall. The replay value is quite high.

Ok, thats it. I hope you enjoyed my review.

Later,

Dan.

2. Blazeman

Blazeman Am I Evil?

Amazing Review!!

This game was pretty good i didn't really like the story line but like you said they did do a good job with it. The graphics weren't bad at all.

Also one of those games you love to play just to kick your friends arse in :)

-Blazeman

3. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Thanks Blazeman, as you know you kinda inspired me to get back into writing these things.

(I kinda have OCD, thats why its long and color coded and crap)

4. Blazeman

Blazeman Am I Evil?

Can you hook me up with that please :)

thank you

5. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Hook you up with what? OCD?

6. Blazeman

Blazeman Am I Evil?

Never mind i just got it explained to me ....lol

i'm a moron

7. Carnival Reject

Carnival Reject Well-Known Member

great review and i love the game too!

8. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

ah, thanks man.

Glad people are liking it.

9. michaelo123

michaelo123 Well-Known Member

i got it and i think its mint.gets boring but i rate it 9.5/10 :)

10. .tekno

.tekno Senior Member

Thanks, a great review you got there!!

11. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Yeah michael, i just didnt want to go overboard on the scoring, i'd say 9/10 is pretty generous.

and thanks tekno. :)

any more thoughts?

12. J_Powder

J_Powder Well-Known Member

it sucks nooob. actually no its quite good, i might even go rent it tonight and give it a shot, i don't have any plans tonight.

13. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Ah, thanks Powder :)

14. Alias

Alias Well-Known Member

idd its a great game, shame though that on xb live everyone is driving a lamborgini and not thee own pimped rides :(, live aint much fun when you havent unlocked al cars cus there al driving the bloody lamborgini

15. nayr`

nayr` Well-Known Member

Diddo, I might purchase the game. :)